Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I'm trying to find humor in it. smile

I already found it..... pretty easy to love Warne bases and Burris/SWFA Low rings....

Though you are master of the skull-phug.... and the azz-shot....

[Linked Image]

I've gone to similar mounting setups on my Kimbers (with Warne steel bases), except I use Burris Signature Zee rings. My Kimbers currently wear a SWFA 3-9 and an FX3 6x42/M1...

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Always wonder.....

does a thousand dollar scope help anyone shoot that much better than they would with a $200 scope or even a $59 Tasco...

at least in most hunting situations?

If the cheap scope survives the round count and trauma of a hunt and still stays zeroed probably not...depending on what you try to do with it.

But life is too short and hunting opportunities too few to care.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Amen to that.

With just a little luck, I'm burning 14 years of Oregon antelope points this summer..... good motivation.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Amen to that.

With just a little luck, I'm burning 14 years of Oregon antelope points this summer..... good motivation.

Guess its an attitude point then...

if you want to go for antelope, instead of waiting 14 years and buying a $1000 scope... I'd just go to Wyoming or Montana, instead of waiting for Fish and Wildlife to quit doing their favoritism to the places that Vote democRAT and say essentially to hell with everyone from the rest of the state...

If a guy wants a $1000 scope, then I saw have it.. and enjoy...

somehow slumming with Leupolds, Weavers, various Bushnell offerings and even Tascos, has really fit my needs just fine...

granted the longest distances I have taken deer has been 300 yds or a little beyond.. but that works fine for me...

Even having opportunities to get some of these big buck scopes.. I wasn't impressed with their weight, didn't think the optics were any clearer than any other scope I've used ( byproduct of not having real perfect eye sight anyway)...

don't interpret this as criticizing those of you that desire such spendy luxuries.. just curious if I am missing something as I just don't see it...

Love playing with scopes the way I love playing with 'what if' at the load bench....
spending time shooting a couple thousand or 5 rounds at sage rats come spring and early summer.. really takes care of my shooting large game at distances...

so the statement was not as to of offensive to anyone at all..

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
One ass shot. ONE!! grin

Those are some beefy rings. Very... tacticool <g>. I'm using similar bases on my heavy 7 WSM and they do work. Never really LIKED them but I can't fault their function.

You liking that LRHS? Heaviest of all the ones I've been considering... Jordan sure likes his. Saw a box test shot with one over on LRHF that was pretty impressive.

those rings weigh about 2.5-3oz each.... they're beefy, but light.... as are the SWFA rings.

I dig LRHS.... it's the best of all worlds as far as I'm concerned. I think it has a couple of excellent features.... and the compromises are in the right places.

You could go around and around on all this schitt..... or you could pick one.... run it, figure out what you like/don't.... trip it.... buy another candidate..... repeat as necessary.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dog,

Which LRHS are you using?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
3-12....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am pretty impressed with the SWFA rings. Should hold up no matter what.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
One ass shot. ONE!! grin

Those are some beefy rings. Very... tacticool <g>. I'm using similar bases on my heavy 7 WSM and they do work. Never really LIKED them but I can't fault their function.

You liking that LRHS? Heaviest of all the ones I've been considering... Jordan sure likes his. Saw a box test shot with one over on LRHF that was pretty impressive.

those rings weigh about 2.5-3oz each.... they're beefy, but light.... as are the SWFA rings.

I dig LRHS.... it's the best of all worlds as far as I'm concerned. I think it has a couple of excellent features.... and the compromises are in the right places.

You could go around and around on all this schitt..... or you could pick one.... run it, figure out what you like/don't.... trip it.... buy another candidate..... repeat as necessary.

I've got several "prongs" going with gun-stuff at the moment (also building a big .33 boomer) and don't have unlimited funds so I've got time to research this while I save my pennies. But in principal I agree with your last statement. Makes sense.

When I was saying that mounts/rings might be an issue with my Kimber, it's not that I didn't know things like Warne crosslots or beefy rings exist... it's that I am not like the rest of y'all it seems in that I like the scope back towards me more than most folks. I'm running Talley 1" extensions on it now and it puts the Swaro (3.5" nominal ER) on it just where I like it. I didn't like it near as much with regular Talley's. I just mention that for illustration. Those beefy 3-screw rings in your pic would cost me at least 1/4" and probably closer to 1/2" of "back" because what stops it from going back further, is the objective bell, and those thick rings hit it considerably sooner than even regular Talley's would.

As far as I can see, there is no 30mm Talley extension ring for a Kimber 8400. I could go Leup DD but I don't like how Leup does extensions. That little shelf. I could do a Pic rial but on a KIMBER?! Nah.

I am aware that all of that might be mental masturbation; I might mount up a HSV or LRHS (which is 3.75" nominal ER, and has a bit more tube than a SHV I think) and it might be just peachy. BUT, as a general rule of thumb, I've found I like scopes further back than normal folk. So, as in your pic, when I see NO ability to come any further back, it gives me pause. Now your rifle is a long action- right?- so there's that but the point is, getting the right mounts is gonna be key for this to work for me... and the options are more limited.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That's also a long action Kimber... so a WSM length would be more flexible.

There's always the option of a pic rail.... then your options are limitless....

IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
SHV mounted on a Montana 308 in DD's:

[Linked Image]

Fore/aft positioning is very comfortable for me, and there is 3/4" or so to move rearward.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

No criticism of the scope itself or others' choices but I personally don't get putting a scope that's a quarter lb + heavier than others available in the same power range on a trim, light Kimber.

That's not to say it won't work-it will.

I'd gladly take the 4-8 ozs extra on a light weight rifle for the comfort of knowing that my scope will work when needed...

YMMV...

Not ONCE have I seen the additional 1/2lb of weight be the demise of a hunt... UNLESS it involved the lack of gray, spongy matter wrapped in a numbskull....

The SHV continues to suck....

Walked this one out to 921 and back to 530, 3 times without it missing a lick. Set it back to "zero" and stoned this ram in his bed at 428. Might just get me a window sticker or two....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by joshf303; 03/07/16.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by joshf303

No criticism of the scope itself or others' choices but I personally don't get putting a scope that's a quarter lb + heavier than others available in the same power range on a trim, light Kimber.

I'd gladly take the 4-8 ozs extra on a light weight rifle for the comfort of knowing that my scope will work when needed...

YMMV...

Not ONCE have I seen the additional 1/2lb of weight be the demise of a hunt... UNLESS it involved the lack of gray, spongy matter wrapped in a numbskull....

Walked this one out to 921 and back to 530, 3 times without it missing a lick. Set it back to "zero" and stoned this ram in his bed at 428. Might just get me a window sticker or two....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very nice bud...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah no kidding!!! Nice!

I'd have that front ring flipped around the other way.... grin... gives me warm fuzzies to see it so far forward and working for Josh.... gives me hope it'll work for me! Ol' Stiffneck. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Took mine to 600 yards this afternoon. Dialed in 10 MOA correction from a 250 yd zero, (per the Hornady ballistics calculator) and fired a 5 shot group. Load was 120 Amax factory ammo.

There was heavy mirage boil up and leaning right,which might have affected things but I just shot throughout it. I got what you see below on that 6" dot. Seemed to me the scope tracked pretty well.

[Linked Image]

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob, I appreciate your updates very much.

Here's an update.... I called Talley and even though I couldn't find any via Google, they do make a LW 30mm extension ring for the 8400 Kimber. That's GREAT news for me.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd have that front ring flipped around the other way.... grin...

What would be the purpose of that...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by joshf303

YMMV...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Being the smart azz I am, I was going to through something cute out there, but didn't want it to be misinterpreted.

Very nice Josh. Great post!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Took mine to 600 yards this afternoon. Dialed in 10 MOA correction from a 250 yd zero, (per the Hornady ballistics calculator) and fired a 5 shot group. Load was 120 Amax factory ammo.

There was heavy mirage boil up and leaning right,which might have affected things but I just shot throughout it. I got what you see below on that 6" dot. Seemed to me the scope tracked pretty well.

[Linked Image]

Bob,

Have you ditched the SS 6x or are you running both, just on different rigs? Thx

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd have that front ring flipped around the other way.... grin...

What would be the purpose of that...

EHG, so that I could move the scope back towards me.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (260madman, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 58 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,502
Posts18,509,209
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.