Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Staying busy and out of trouble with my current "winter projects".
All shown here are 1/8" 1084 carbon steel and natural wood. Blade lengths average about 3 1/2" and overall lengths average 7 3/4".

The "Hunter" (left) with Spalted Maple and the "Skinner" on right with Maple Burl.
[Linked Image]

The other side

[Linked Image]

Top-Bottom, the "Whitetail" with Purpleheart, the "Camper" with striped Japanese Chestnut and the "Idaho" with walnut. All of these have a full flat grind.
[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh and if you're on FaceBook, here is a link to my FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/gpopecustomknives/

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Very nice work there Snubbie.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those are some good looking knives. I'd almost be afraid to use one in the field for fear I'd scratch or lose it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Those are some good looking knives. I'd almost be afraid to use one in the field for fear I'd scratch or lose it.

Awe shucks, as I recall you carry something like an Old Timer folder you've had 40 years! You've not lost it.
Scratches won't hurt a thing. I know you, you don't own anything you don't intend to use. We're alike in that respect. wink

And thanks!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B2

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Very nice work there Snubbie.

Thanks smoke, I've enjoyed making them.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by snubbie

Awe shucks, as I recall you carry something like an Old Timer folder you've had 40 years! You've not lost it.
Scratches won't hurt a thing. I know you, you don't own anything you don't intend to use. We're alike in that respect. wink

And thanks!
That's about the age of my knife. Since it's a folder, after I dress an animal, I throw it in a pan of water and boil it to get the fat & crud out of the joints. I don't think I'd do that with one of yours. Of course, yours are easy to clean without it.

I'd probably do just what you do...use it more for a kitchen knife.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 100% sure I found my next pursuit (and damn glad I messaged Mr. Snubbie on his FB page).

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

And thanks!
That's about the age of my knife. Since it's a folder, after I dress an animal, I throw it in a pan of water and boil it to get the fat & crud out of the joints. I don't think I'd do that with one of yours. Of course, yours are easy to clean without it.

I throw it in a pan of water and boil it to get the fat & crud out of the joints. eek eek NOOOO!!!!! That wouldn't work well with natural wood and carbon steel.
They do great as a general utility knife in the kitchen. The carbon steel just takes on a nice dark patina. (I'm currently making myself a knife and one for my daughter in damascus steel) Just wash by hand and wipe it down. Maybe a bit of mineral oil or even olive oil rubbed in the handle occasionally. And don't put it in the dishwasher!

Maybe I'll make you one sometime to butcher llama's, goats, chicken's and turkeys with! grin

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stillhunter73
I'm 100% sure I found my next pursuit (and damn glad I messaged Mr. Snubbie on his FB page).

wink

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

And thanks!

I throw it in a pan of water and boil it to get the fat & crud out of the joints. eek eek NOOOO!!!!! That wouldn't work well with natural wood and carbon steel.
They do great as a general utility knife in the kitchen. The carbon steel just takes on a nice dark patina. (I'm currently making myself a knife and one for my daughter in damascus steel) Just wash by hand and wipe it down. Maybe a bit of mineral oil or even olive oil rubbed in the handle occasionally. And don't put it in the dishwasher!

Maybe I'll make you one sometime to butcher llama's, goats, chicken's and turkeys with! grin
The deceased would be well pleased to be disemboweled by a really good looking knife.

― George Orwell

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Another one just finished and my first in Damascus steel. I made this one with a thinner blade and scaled down some, more of a bird/trout/small game knive. I call it "The Longbeard" and hope to use it on one in about a month!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Damascus steel knife is beautiful! Does it require heat tempering the edge?

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really nice work!

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Razz
The Damascus steel knife is beautiful! Does it require heat tempering the edge?

Yes, all of the steel is in an annealed(softened) state when I cut and grind the blades. Then heat treating (hardening) is required and afterwards, tempering to soften it from the hardening process. The ideal heat treatment results in a blade that is not too hard(so that the blade would break when bent or the edge chips) and not too soft(so that the blades stays bent or the edge bends or curls).

And that's the whole trick, getting the right heat treatment, so you can get a blade that sharpens easily enough and holds that edge. Easier with a temperature controled oven(which I have) than with a forge.

Last edited by snubbie; 03/08/16.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,844 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,639
Posts18,512,234
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.