Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have decided to get a 6.8 SPC II upper to put on either a GWAC Polymer lower or On A DPMS Sportical lower that I own both.

I hunt in an area that has between 80 to 100 % Humidity so has to have a rustproof bore as possible.

DO I want a Melonite or Stainless barrel for Max bore protection and accuracy???
I am wanting 1/2 moa accuracy out to about 250 yards.
Deer Hunting

Think I want an 18 inch barrel but could make do with a 16 inch.

I see Prices for complete uppers ranging from about $400.00 to my max of about $800.00
IF I can Buy a complete upper with the above listed wants I have that will do what I want then more the better.
BUT IF I have to spend the $800.00 to be assured of getting the performance I want then I will do it,you know buy once cry once type of deal !

Thanks
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would go stainless steel but you are going to have a hard time finding a complete upper that has everything and be $400. I have a 6.8spc that shoot's really good but the barrel alone cost $350 and the LWRC nib bolt without carrier was $140. Do the one's your looking at come with the BCG. And 1/2 MOA at 250yrds that will be even harder I can shoot 1/2" at 100 yrds but no way could I at 250.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$500 for a Krieger alone.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Are you opposed to building? It's really simple to build uppers.

Aero complete upper $75
Decent octagon ultra slim keymod hand guard $60
ARP MW 1/11 18" Melonite $280
JAL Linear comp $46
Milspec charge handle $14
ARP Melonite BCG $125
Melonite block and tube $45

Add an Aero ultra light scope mount & glass and go kill critters.

I like accuracy as much as the next guy, but 1/2 moa is more along the lines of custom bolt rifles than most ARs. My 18" ARP will do sub moa with 4 shot groups and it's preferred loads and even though I get the occasional 1/2" 3 shot group, it's far from a custom bolt rig. You need to ask yourself if 1/2moa is really needed for basket ball size targets...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would definitely try the ARP barrel for a hunting rifle. I got a Wilson combat on sale, and its so so. Also agree with either stainless or melonite.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
White Oak Armament make's very accurate barrel's I would give John a call.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stainless Black Hole Weaponry polygonal 6.8 SPC II barrel. Your choice of a upper receiver, your choice of handguard. AIM Surplus has a great deal on a complete Nitride 6.8 bolt carrier group for 109.00 shipped.

AIM may be out of stock at times but that receive shipments almost weekly, just put your self on the "To be notified" " list . I have used many of their bolt carrier groups for my customers custom builds.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCG68SPCN3&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+6.8+SPC+Nitride+9310+MPI+BDG+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723

You can have a quality upper at a reasonable price.

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
just don't get the black Black hole barrel, I bought one on sale and its sitting on my bench now as you have to shoot the black out of the stainless before you can start shooting it, get the regular SS barrel. One day I will put it together, its a wylde chamber 1-8.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i picked up a complete 6.8 upper last weekend at a local gun show,18in with aluminum tube handguard. brand new with bcg and charging handle for 450.00

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jimmyp
just don't get the black Black hole barrel, I bought one on sale and its sitting on my bench now as you have to shoot the black out of the stainless before you can start shooting it, get the regular SS barrel. One day I will put it together, its a wylde chamber 1-8.

Shoot the black out? grin

"I threw a touchdown pass in the last minute to win the state championship game. I know it was 30 years ago and not relevant to this discussion but it makes me important and believable, it's the only great thing I even accomplished"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Wwhhhaaaaatttt?

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Are you opposed to building? It's really simple to build uppers.

Aero complete upper $75
Decent octagon ultra slim keymod hand guard $60
ARP MW 1/11 18" Melonite $280
JAL Linear comp $46
Milspec charge handle $14
ARP Melonite BCG $125
Melonite block and tube $45

Add an Aero ultra light scope mount & glass and go kill critters.

I like accuracy as much as the next guy, but 1/2 moa is more along the lines of custom bolt rifles than most ARs. My 18" ARP will do sub moa with 4 shot groups and it's preferred loads and even though I get the occasional 1/2" 3 shot group, it's far from a custom bolt rig. You need to ask yourself if 1/2moa is really needed for basket ball size targets...

No I am not opposed to building except for the fact I have never done it !

I thought to do so that it required an action vise? to hold the action in a regular vise so the barrel could be torqued in properly and that the barrel had to be trued or squared to the action for best accuracy ?

Could you describe to me how to or direct me to a link that tells how to do a build from start to finish?

Do you think that someone who had never done this could build a accurate upper or does this require a lot of experience to get it right ?

Thanks
Craig

Last edited by bcraig; 02/27/16.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just use High Quality parts and it should shoot lights out. You can buy a cheap Action block on Ebay for 10 bucks, it will be fine for a few builds. Plenty of videos on the net on How to build a upper.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Craig, go to this website for all of your AR build info:

http://www.ar15.com/

There is info there on all aspects of building an AR and plenty of links to find any/all parts needed for building an AR. ARs are easy to build, upgrade and change parts. It's really not a big deal once you try it. Just use quality parts, the proper tools and take your time while working on the AR.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR

There is info there on all aspects of building an AR and plenty of links to find any/all parts needed for building an AR. ARs are easy to build, upgrade and change parts. It's really not a big deal once you try it. Just use quality parts, the proper tools and take your time while working on the AR.
That is the absolute last place I would go for facts about the 6.8. Lots of young guys and bad info.

"I threw a touchdown pass in the last minute to win the state championship game. I know it was 30 years ago and not relevant to this discussion but it makes me important and believable, it's the only great thing I even accomplished"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Go to 68 forums dot com. Constructor and lots of guys to help there. Might even tell you about his barrels.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by constructor

That is the absolute last place I would go for facts about the 6.8. Lots of young guys and bad info.

Yep. Derpderp52 will tell you how wrong you are and the other variant is superior for everything.

Just go to 6.8 forums and hit up constructor also. He might know a thing or two about barrels and bolts.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by constructor

It appears that some people got their panties in a bunch and failed to notice that no reference was made about ANY caliber. The gentleman asked how to build a basic AR and what it entailed.

Since that website has a build it section, it was, and still is, a good place to start to get a general idea about building ARs. BTW, you can also check youtube for AR builds too, but they may not have the proper 6.8 info there either.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The gentalman asked about a 6.8 upper! Maybe read the whole posting including the heading mivhntr instead of getting YOUR Panties in a wad! I would start a build around a ARP barrel by constructor! He knows his stuff when it comes to the 6.8! Everytime i shoot mine im so suprised by the consistency and accuracy! I have one of his 12.5" barrels and fixing to start another 16" build for [bleep] and giggles!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
An internet search on ARP barrels will show anyone all that they need to know about that company and its barrels.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 2500HD, 21 invisible), 1,665 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,627
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.