Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hello, I'm considering a 44 magnum purchase for pistol hunting, and am strongly considering the Ruger Redhawk Hunter (not super redhawk). I'm new to the pistol scope arena, and don't want to waste funds. I'm leaning toward Burris or Leupold, and am considering the fixed vs variable power. Opinions appreciated. Thx

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I can only say what works well for me on my scoped revolvers (44 and 41 mags): leupold fixed 2x long eye relief handgun scopes.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Is there a difference between long eye relief and extended eye relief?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
2X Leupold is what I'd get.
Wouldn't mind an old Burris 1X.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Any thoughts on a Burris 1-4? I think they are now discontinued.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by semperdog
Any thoughts on a Burris 1-4? I think they are now discontinued.

I once bought a revolver that had one on it, don't think I even took the scope home. IIRC it seemed bulky and the optics didn't seem that good.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Leupold fixed 2X works best for me, also.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have had a Nikon Monarch 2x20 on my SBHHunter for ten years. It is in 41 mag, usually 210's at 1400 fps, but now I am working with 255's.

Bottom line, recoil is pretty darn close to your 44.

The Nikon has held up perfectly. And zero holds well with the Ruger rings after removing and replacing the scope multiple times.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Leupold's 2x is about as good as it gets. Even if you decide not to use it for hunting (IMHO it makes the gun awkwardly top-heavy) it is really useful for load development.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+ 1... There's a 2x Leupold on my 44 Mag. Redhawk and it's gonna stay there. It's perfect for a woods gun.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pops had a Burris 1-4X on his SRH.
Hated that scope, I yanked it and ran the rig iron sighted.
If I ever have to scope another revolver, it'll get a Leupold 2x

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the 2X Leupold. I had one on a 7 1/2" Redhawk and I thought it was just about perfect. You can pick up a used one from time to time for a pretty good price. There was one in the Classifieds about a month ago for $160.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10904786/2x_leupold_pistol_scope_FS

I had a 1-4 Burris on a T/C Contender with a 35 Remington barrel and I liked the 2X Leupold a lot better.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2X Leupold works fine for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
^^^^ bottom picture: that is a FINE looking Redhawk. "Me like-y."

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Anything above a 2X is pretty much useless unless on sand bags. Even on bags, it's a lot more difficult than you would think to keep a 4X on target and get a clean break on the trigger.

I prefer a red dot over a scope any day.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had a Leupold 2X Extended ER on my 480 SRH for about 10 years. I thought it was a little difficult to see through, But I got used to it. The problem I had was that it won't work during the first 15 minutes of light and the last 15 minutes of light........

[Linked Image]

So I took it off and put a 30mm Ultra Red Dot on it. I love it. It has no magnification, but you really don't need it. What I've noticed with it is that you don't look through it, you look past it at the target and just focus on the red dot. I like it a lot better.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a Redhawk Hunter w/ Bowen sights and a LEU 2x pistol scope. It performs exceedingly well on boar and most mid sized game using the BH 240 load. Handles well bare, and with the pistol scope, It will slay bowling pins at a very quick pace out to around 135 yards for me. My last boar w/ this combo was flat out running left to right, and w/ the 2x, I was able to pan w/ both eyes open, and w/ my peripheral vision pick up on a gap ahead between two trees, so to break the shot at the gap and dump the boar. The gap was about 35 yards away, and the boar ran past the gap about 2 yards further back. I was worried the scope would give me issues, vs the fixed sights, on such shots, but the 2x proved a good balance between close and fast vs fairly long and precise.

I do believe the Redhawk to be far superior to the Super when measured in terms of beauty. But, it is a relatively heavy package that required for me to have a ton of trigger time to effectively master so to look easy. I ended up building a custom chest holster w/ a reinforced open top length to clear the scope. Most of the places I hunted were rugged requiring a walking stick as a third leg, and a free hand to clamber rocks when busting out boar. I can deploy the revolver relatively quick w/ strong hand, and then support w/ weak hand using the walking stick as a brace. Not as easy as a speed holster and a lighter and quicker pistol w/ fixed sights and/ or a red dot, but it works and it gives me the luxury of making much longer shots via the 2x optics.

My opinion, more magnification would hurt more than help. Even w/ 2x, such a revolver is now kinda like a dinasour, compared to the newer breed of micro optics and lighter pistol/revolver packages.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll be the loan dissenting opinion. I've had Leupold 2x, 4x and a Simmons gold medal 2.5-7 handgun scopes. I've been told the weaver 2-6 handgun is the same as the discontinued Simmons gold medal 2.5-7.

If you really want to stretch what you can do with a handgun and master shooting small groups, then I recommend a 2-6 variable. The Leupold 2x is really a 1.4 and you won't see the minute wobbles that cause a great revolver to shoot good groups. I could never shoot a great revolver to it's accuracy potential with 1.4x, but could at 7 and then just dialed it back to 2x for field use.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (3333vl, akpls, 450yukon, 264mag, 805, 204guy, 25 invisible), 2,060 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,886
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.