Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What do you guys like and why?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've tried to like a harness system, but keep going back to the factory strap slung over one shoulder and the bino carried under the off arm.

I don't like a harness because it pulls against the binos when viewing through them unless you keep it real loose, then it dangles down around your belt buckle. I also find it's a nuisance to put on and take off over layers.

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
i agree, i tried the bra and dont like, especially when wearing multiple layers, i have to take it off to take off the outer layer of clothing and if wearing alot of layers its so tight, i have to really pull it up to use the bicoulars

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Neck strap. Easy on/off or throw over shoulder if need be.

Hard to go prone with the bra. I like my optics too much.

Last edited by magnumb; 11/25/06.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a carry all hitch. A guy from Alpine AZ (i think) makes and sells them.
The system is like putting on suspenders on your belt. You clip the back to your belt them pull them over your shoulders and attach your binos. The best part about the system is you can crawl and not have your optics dangle on the ground. They have a elastic piece that goes around your chest and you put the binos under the elastic bands and it holds them to your body. Easy to use and better than a bra or neck strap. Won't go back to a strap or bra.

Enrique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Regular neck strap, longish. If right handed, over the neck and beneath the left arm (outside of clothing). If left handed, opposite. Protected and easy to reach and bring in to view, keeps dust and grit off lenses, too.

All the rest and styles are pretty much gimmicks to me,,,,like 'scent lockers, cough supressors, etc.'.

Old Toot

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like the bra better but I have to sneak it out of the house as the wife gets upset when I use one. She doesn't like to share.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kique-does that fella have a web site?

Thx

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neither. Always on the carry pouch on my belt, or in my hands. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark,

He might. I think if that carry harness catches on, it'll go gangbusters. it is kinda hard to put on at first, but once you get the hang of it, you won't go back trust me.

I use that set up when I carry my 15's and everyone knows how big they are.

If I can find a website I'll post a link.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bino Buddies

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After using the Crooked Horn system the past couple of years and various straps before that, I gave the Bino Manager a try this year. I didn't like it when I first tried it out of the box, but it quickly grew on me. I'll be using them from now on.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I carry the big ones with a longer strap and under my arm. I got a bra with my 15s from Swarovski and finally put it on my 8x30s. I have carried it a little this year and haven't made up my mind if I like it or not- I will say this much- the Swarovski knock-off of the crooked horn bra is a piece of junk. Inferior clips that constantly come loose- could affect my judgement against the bras in general...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks-when you heading south?

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
For a long time now, been carrying them with a short strap around the neck and binos buttoned inside shirt or jacket for travel. It's not a comfortable strap however, so I wear a bandanna around my neck under the strap if it slides off the collar. Why? Quick, convenient and well protected.
t

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Regular neck strap, longish. If right handed, over the neck and beneath the left arm (outside of clothing). If left handed, opposite. Protected and easy to reach and bring in to view, keeps dust and grit off lenses, too.

Same way I prefer, with the caveat that the strap must be set long enough to allow the binocs to be easily used. Also, I often carry under a parka this way.

In dense brush where repeated snagging is a problem I'll generally wear 'em suspended from a shoulder, hanging alongside the lower back, that way when they snag they can be quickly taken off and freed.

Can't stand anything hanging around just my neck.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the "bra". It keeps them from dangling when you crawl or go to prone. I use a pair from Swaroptic (Spelling - aw who cares anyway) the only piece of their gear I can afford. They adjust automatically to layering and don't interfear with my packs chest straps. They also dont swing and make noises by hitting my rifle.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
How exactly does the Swarovski version "adjust automatically to layering and not dangle when prone or interfer with your pack chest straps"?

If I'm not mistaken, the Swaro version is identical to the Crooked Horn version I've used other than the markings stamped on the leather piece, and it does none of the above.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it doesn't matter how tight I cinch it, the binos will drag/dangle away from my chest when prone, and I've yet to figure out a good way to use them while wearing a pack with chest straps. It's either put the binos/harness on first and forget about the chest strap, or put the pack on first and then try to fit the harness straps over the shoulder straps of your pack, neither of which work worth a damn.

As previously mentioned, another issue I have with the Crooked Horn harness systems I've tried is if you really cinch them down to reduce dangle/swing or to where they're not hanging down around your belly button, then they pull against the binos when you bring them to your eyes.....

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've always used a strap. The heavier ones, like my Leicas, I like to hang over my left hip on a long strap. Works well with the packs I use.
The lighter ones, like my 8X32, I like as short a strap as will allow the binos to raised to the eyes.
I always wear a pack, so they work that way. I've done lots of running to get into position a shoot, so they work that way. And they allow me to throw the pack on the ground in a hurry if I need to use it as a rifle rest.
All I've ever seen the bras do is keep them from flopping around. Something a properly adjusted strap will do as well. E

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Crooked horn type. Works for me, especially leaning over while stalking or crossing fences and riding on the 4 wheeler. Handy climbing into my towers or tripods.
For all those against, you can use it as a single strap in a hurry. Just don't put your arms through.

pepaw

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.