Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I just finished running a new circuit for some ceiling LED shop lights. They're the corded type that just plug into an outlet. I wired in a switched outlet to plug them into. The walls & ceiling are open so at least I was able get to the studs to run the cable through them. It's about 30' from the outlet to the switch. I got it all wired, checked for juice with a test light, plugged them in, and hit the switch. Nothing.
To bypass the tale of my searching for the problem...a volt meter revealed that I was only getting 94v at the outlet. The LED lights won't come on at that voltage. They need 115v. I got 120v by testing from the hot to the ground but not to the neutral. To double check, I used a piece of automotive wire to bypass the neutral from the switch to the outlet and it worked fine. If I was using incandescents, they would have come on but wouldn't have got as bright as they should. Likely flourescents wouldn't have come on either.
This was new 14g wire from an old unused roll of romex. Apparently there's a manufacturing defect somewhere in the neutral wire that cuts the voltage.

I just posted this as a reminder that test lights aren't the universal cure-all. They'll tell you if there's juice there but not how much.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good point. I don't even have a test light, just use my multimeter as a check whenever messing with power.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I just finished running a new circuit for some ceiling LED shop lights. They're the corded type that just plug into an outlet. I wired in a switched outlet to plug them into. The walls & ceiling are open so at least I was able get to the studs to run the cable through them. It's about 30' from the outlet to the switch. I got it all wired, checked for juice with a test light, plugged them in, and hit the switch. Nothing.
To bypass the tale of my searching for the problem...a volt meter revealed that I was only getting 94v at the outlet. The LED lights won't come on at that voltage. They need 115v. I got 120v by testing from the hot to the ground but not to the neutral. To double check, I used a piece of automotive wire to bypass the neutral from the switch to the outlet and it worked fine. If I was using incandescents, they would have come on but wouldn't have got as bright as they should. Likely flourescents wouldn't have come on either.
This was new 14g wire from an old unused roll of romex. Apparently there's a manufacturing defect somewhere in the neutral wire that cuts the voltage.

I just posted this as a reminder that test lights aren't the universal cure-all. They'll tell you if there's juice there but not how much.

More likely than a manufacturing defect is damage done while installing... a nail/staple through the neutral wire, for example. The problem needs to be found and replaced. That is the sort of thing that causes fires.

Other possibilities are loose connections, especially if you wire-nutted big bundles of wires, or did not get things right in the outlets and fed power and neutrals through the outlets rather than pigtailing them.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And manufacturers normally do a test on the wire.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hate test lights, it's meters only for this boy.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
More likely than a manufacturing defect is damage done while installing... a nail/staple through the neutral wire, for example. The problem needs to be found and replaced. That is the sort of thing that causes fires.

Other possibilities are loose connections, especially if you wire-nutted big bundles of wires, or did not get things right in the outlets and fed power and neutrals through the outlets rather than pigtailing them.

That would be my guess too as far as the OP's issue being related to the wire failure. I have ran 100's of thousands of feet of commercial and residential wiring and I don't think I can recall ever seeing a manufactures defect in the field. But I am NOT saying that it could never happen....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran into a lot of issues with LED lights and dimmer switches myself. Even the ones that claim to be dimmable.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

That would be my guess too as far as the OP's issue being related to the wire failure. I have ran 100's of thousands of feet of commercial and residential wire and I don't think I can recall ever seeing a manufactures defect in the field. But am NOT saying that it could never happen....

I have pulled a fair bit of Romex, too and like you have never seen a manufacturing defect.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

There are only 2 staples and the wire is loose under them. I hadn't finished the installation yet and hadn't put in all the staples when I tested it. The wire just runs though holes in the studs. At no point are there more than 2 wires in a nut on the neutral wire.
I'll be pulling the entire cable and replacing it today.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you have enough wire to run a test wire beside the original and test throughput? It is very strange to have that problem and not be able to find the issue pretty quickly.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Do you have enough wire to run a test wire beside the original and test throughput? It is very strange to have that problem and not be able to find the issue pretty quickly.
Already did that. The problem is definitely in the neutral wire. Something is impeding the current flow through it but there are no breaks or dings in the cable.
I'm just going to replace the cable.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The "blockage" is most likely a leak of some kind; the current is escaping into another source .

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I do a fair amount of phone troubleshooting on construction equipment.
I tell the person on the other end to pitch the light and get a volt meter

I am one gun away from happy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you've got a voltmeter handy, set it up for ohms and try reading the entire length of suspected bad wire. That will tell you pretty quickly if there is a break in the wire.

I never use a test light to check for power, a multimeter is your best bet, as you've already discovered.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Speaking of wiring...knob and tube wiring just saved our daughter a lot of grief. She wants to buy a house and she qualifies for a VA loan, being army. She had one she wanted to buy that needs a lot of work. We both thought she was getting in over her head and tried to head her off but you know how kids can be (the kid's over 30). This morning she emailed us the inspection report. The house has some serious problems but best of all, it has knob and tube wiring with lots of exposed connections, bare wires, etc. It even has exposed wire on the oven range circuit in the crawl space. It HAS to be rewired. There's no possible way that the VA or any bank will loan on it. YEAH! She can't buy it and we're very happy about it.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you have a tone generator? If you do, you might consider putting a tone on the white and see if you can locate the problem. I'd love to know what the cause is.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
S
It sounds like you may have neutral floating because of a phase inbalance.

Go the source with a meter and check phase voltage between hot and ground and hot and neutral. They both should be 120 volts.

Also, in my experience, 96 volts or less can indicate a tripped GFI breaker on the circuit.

Best

Sam the Dog

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
samthedog most likely has hit it. Sounds like you have a Neutral that is not making good contact (the white wire), and the phase imbalance is showing up on that phase (leg). Check your connection at the neutral buss in the panel and at any connections along the way, especially that new switch.

Is the garage separate from the main house and it is served as a sub panel. If so you may have loss the neutral going to the garage and have the issue in the whole building, but this would most likely have shown up with some lights being dim and others bright. If this is the case it will be obvious when you test phase to neutral at the panel per "samthedog's" suggestion.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VaHunter
samthedog most likely has hit it. Sounds like you have a Neutral that is not making good contact (the white wire), and the phase imbalance is showing up on that phase (leg). Check your connection at the neutral buss in the panel and at any connections along the way, especially that new switch.

Is the garage separate from the main house and it is served as a sub panel. If so you may have loss the neutral going to the garage and have the issue in the whole building, but this would most likely have shown up with some lights being dim and others bright. If this is the case it will be obvious when you test phase to neutral at the panel per "samthedog's" suggestion.

Very good points and I made the mistake of assuming he had tested the source...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by samthedog
It sounds like you may have neutral floating because of a phase inbalance.

Go the source with a meter and check phase voltage between hot and ground and hot and neutral. They both should be 120 volts.

Also, in my experience, 96 volts or less can indicate a tripped GFI breaker on the circuit.

Best

Sam the Dog

Yup, the tripped GFCI could be it, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,635
Posts18,512,118
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.