Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I have a Hornady Collet puller and love it 95% of the time but every so often I run into some real stubborn bullets that the puller just slides up and off of. Sometimes I can fix the situation by seating the bullet a tiny bit deeper and then trying to pull it. I guess the theory is a freshly moved bullet also pulls up and out easier.
I banged around the internet a little bit looking at reviews and I thought I could kind of see that the same thing would happen once in awhile with the grip and pull. The other question I have is how do you keep from accidentally grabbing onto the case neck instead of just the bullet shank?
So what do u owners think?

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's all I use any more. Every once in a while I'll have the same issue with it sliding off a bullet, but it's still so much easier than the only other puller I've ever used, the inertia hammer style. I've never used the collet style puller systems.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had two for a while. They worked ok but not nearly as well as a collet puller. The grip and pull occasionally would not grip tightly enough to pull bullets and if really forced together to pull those bullets, ALWAYS squished them out of round making them non reusable.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tate -

This might JUST be personal preference but I've had 2 hammer style pullers....

I got RCBS collet puller yrs ago and I prefer them.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use a Hornandy collet puller as the "grip n pull" won't work with a Forster Co-Ax press.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sharp side cutters is what I prefer

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I had some very stubborn 55 bal tips in my 243 that I had loaded for a long time. They would not come out w/o some choice words being used. It was then I discovered that the salt from my skin was having a chemical reacting with the brass and copper jacket. From then on I wear medical gloves when handling bullets.

Youtube:
The complete idiots guide to atheism.
The Four Horseman. Discussions with Richard Dawkins
God Is Not Great. Christopher Hitchens
Do not fear education.
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
The bullets hadn't bonded....it was tough brass sized in dies that are known to kinda leave things under sized.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think pulling bullets SUCKS no matter what tool you use. Unless you've got a spare twelve-year old hanging around with nothing to do.

grin

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
G&P works great for me. They are not good if the bullet is crimped in, though. On hand-loads, they are fast and hardly even mar the bullet.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use the GnP for larger cartridges (Nitro Express etc.) and find it great. Have to use the Big Max press though as doesn't work with the Forster Coax.

For smaller bore cartridges still use the kinetic hammer.

Haven't tried the collet pullers.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Anyone thought of using a little powdered rosin in their puller collet or Grip-N-Pull? We used powdered rosin in the barrel blocks when removing rifle barrels. Brownell's sells powdered rosin, might be worth a try.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by kingston
I use a Hornandy collet puller as the "grip n pull" won't work with a Forster Co-Ax press.

I just picked up Hornadays cam puller as an upgrade over RCBS. I like the idea of the grip n pull. Hopefully I don't need to become an expert in bullet pulling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Sharp side cutters is what I prefer

Works for me too.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like my Hornady puller. I never gab case necks because I adjust the depth of the collet in the die so necks don't fit. The list price of the puller mechanism is $42, but Amazon delivered it to my house for $24.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I use the RCBS and have used it a lot in developing loads, pulling bullets on less than favorite accuracy loads. What I like, is that I Can buy a 224 collet and it works on 20 calibers. The same, buying a 25 caliber and it works perfectly on a 243. Does very little in marking bullets unless they are exceptionally stubborn.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It really is this simple

https://youtu.be/oOGWt4o9iEs

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,121
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.