-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to hear that you are doing something except watching fence being built. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Miles,haven't started fence waiting on posts to get here. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is a situational thing. I have shot them with a few different calibers and prefer triple digit bullet weights. Don't have to be thumpers but I have had better luck with a little more authority especially if the objective is more than just one hog. I have had pissed off wounded ones nearby and prefer them horizontal.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by djones
Originally Posted by KMS
... An AR is so accurate, there's no reason you can't make head shots.

well i can think of a reason... a standing shot over 150 yards away at an animal that is moving around. sure i would have loved to shoot it in the head, but i figured 168 grains would explode the shoulder bone into enough of the vitals and hopefully the CNS to drop it. unfortunately i hit a little back, right in the arm pit. it's a pretty tough animal that can run that far and that fast hit in the chest. 223 is fine for a lot of things, but it's not my first choice for a hog gun no matter what bullet comes out of it.

[Linked Image]

Wish I could shoot right next to you a few times with a 223 and see how many dead pigs pile up on the 308 and 223 side...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
that sounds great, cept... ughh... u cant kill a hog with a 223

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
correction... if they're stripers a 223 MIGHT kill them. of course the sow took a 223 in the neck, reared up and took off. she soaked up two more body shots but continued to head out to parts unknown.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
of course there's nothing quite like the authority of a 308

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
djones, just how many years have you been hunting hogs? Rio7

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
i've been hunting them for a couple months now, but have only actually killed some in the last two weeks. i have, however, read quite a bit about them on the internet.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
djones, Take your lies some where else, Like Long Range Hunting, In the ear-- Really Thread, where you have been bragging about hog hunting since 2011. Rio7

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by RIO7
djones, Take your lies some else where, Like Long Range Hunting, In the ear-- Really Thread, where you have been bragging about hog hunting since 2011. Rio7

wow, that was harsh. bragging? i don't think i've ever said i've shot a couple of semi truck loads of pigs. i thought my posts about 223 bashing was obvious to everyone as joking, but i'm sorry if you didn't get it and took offense. not sure why you asked, but if it really matters to you, i've been hunting hogs for a few decades.

have no taste for animosity here, so to make amends, i'll offer these pics as a peace offering. i shot them all with a 223. they were hit around the ear and all died instantly except one that needing a finishing shot.

one of the stripers needed a finishing shot as did the small hogs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
At no point did you hear me say the .223 was the best caliber for pigs just that I have shot a couple of truck loads of pigs with a .223 as have a couple of other fire members, I think it was you that said a .223 won't kill a pig, not me, now your lying to your self. Rio7

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
At no point did you hear me say the .223 was the best caliber for pigs...
i never said you did

I think it was you that said a .223 won't kill a pig, not me, now your lying to your self.
as i said, it was a joke, and an obvious one at that.

i've already apologized but you still seem pissed. it's just a forum. nothing to get all worked up about.

for those who like posting kill pics and also like to see them, here is a closeup of the dental work on the spotted one.

[Linked Image]

T
TwoTrax Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Just ordered some Barnes 62 TSX and Nosler 64 Bonded to work some loads up for. Will not get a chance to try them till next year though as I will be heading back to PA soon, and we have no hogs in our area.

Also bought a set of Wicked Lights for night hunting, got both red and green led's for them. Gonna try some night yote hunting this spring/summer.

So next season I will bring the AR and another rifle, perhaps my 280 as that gun has never killed anything yet.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Nice pics there djones, like the cutters on that spotted one. The one good size boar I got probably weighed about 200 or a bit more had all his tusks broken off. A local here told me if the pigs are eating a lot of oranges, that for some reason it makes their teeth soft and it is not uncommon for them to be broken.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
thnx. i think thoz will b pretty gud bullets. i was shooting black hills 68gr match hp. prolly not the best hunting round. mite xplain why the sow got away?? theyre accrate in my gun tho.

ps-sorry for the rant on ur thread

Last edited by djones; 03/20/16.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks - no problem! Appreciate all the input!

Last edited by TwoTrax; 03/20/16.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
M
M
Originally Posted by djones
that sounds great, cept... ughh... u cant kill a hog with a 223

Djones is correct you can't kill a hog with a .223. They will just run off into the woods.
He is the true master of slaying pigs. I mean he is the only one posting pics. Where are the truck loads of pigs you have kill with this so called .223. Seems you may be a keyboard warrior everyone knows you need a 300 win mag or larger to stop a large boar.

Last edited by Motox801; 03/20/16.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
^^^^
i have as warped a sense of humor as anyone and it IS pretty funny... but thats not me!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Motox801, First may I say Welcome to the fire, I have no doubt djones, kills pigs, I have seen his posting else where,and I am glad to hear he has sense of humor, but I find his posts miss leading.without a smile face, as for the pigs I have killed, there are many camp fire members that can confirm my comments about killing pigs, I do not post pictures of my kills on the internet. Rio7

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (35, 338rcm, 7mm_Loco, 6mmbrfan, Angus1895, 11 invisible), 1,360 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,950
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.