-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have CCI CB shorts from many years ago that are not accurate, and I have CCI CB shorts from 2.5 year ago that are 1.7 moa vs 4.8 moa to 8 moa for the old stuff.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
1.7 moa is smaller than a squirrels head at the distances they are usually shot.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

That was at 42 feet [basement hallway length]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ten or more years ago I was given a box of rimfire ammo marked -- CB CAPS.
They are distributed by Stoeger Arms and made in Germany. Each round
is half the length of a 22 short. I fired a few rounds thru a Marlin bolt action
and it made no sound at all. I stopped shooting them for 2 reasons
(1) its kinda PIA to single load this very small ammo and (2) maybe one
shot would not clear the barrel.

Should I just throw them out ?

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No. Send them to me.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CCI CB shorts suck. Zero was off a little, barrel clean. They usually average around 1/2" at 50 yards, never shot 'em longer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I shot a coon with one once. In June with a full moon.

For sake of clarity, the BB and CB cap were an offshoot from the invention of Louis Nicolas Flobert's development of the first metallic cartridge which was essentially a percussion cap with a lead BB in the open end.

They are the fist and second cartridge L-R in the image below. #3 is the CCI CB short. The ammo manufacturers of today borrowed the term "CB" to differentiate their low powered .22 ammo from what the public was used to. CB means conical bullet. BB means bulleted breech.

[Linked Image]

The BB and CB caps shoot well from my rifle but are noisier than CB Shorts. Squirrel die with any of them, no sweat. One of these days I'll whack a pig with a cap...just because.

And here be some 4mm BB Caps, still available and popular in Europe.

[Linked Image]

That would be .177 caliber for you Yankee Running Dogs.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I called an Ammo supplier in Pensacola, FL and asked if he had any .22 CB ammo. He said he did and wanted $42 for 100. I called back and asked why I just bought two boxes of .22LR for $12 a box and he wanted twice that for the CB's. He said they just cost more and are hard to find. So I went to a Pawn shop and bought two boxes of No-Powder Quiet-.22' for $8.00/box of 50. They are CCI's and have almost the velocity of a CB. I haven't tried them yet, but this might be an alternative to paying .40 a round for CB's. Price gouging?

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes indeed. Try $7.40/100 here:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/22-cb-short-29-grain-100-rounds?a=476500

They are available at reasonable prices most places.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dan, that is 7 cents a shot, out of stock.

Here is 37 cents a shot, in stock

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=547407602

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Local shop here have CCI CB shorts for $9.99 a box of 100, has at least 100 boxes.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found some on line in a few years ago.

Code Item Qty Price Grand Total
0028 CCI 22 SHORT HP 27 GR 100 RND BOX 1105 FPS * NO LIMITS *
10 $10.99 $109.90

Subtotal: $109.90
Tax: $0.00
Shipping Cost: $15.26
Grand Total: $125.16

I have not found any since with the web crawlers I use.
And I have been looking. Not that I am out, just obsessed.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have a Remington 581 that loves CCI Quite 22's, out of the 24" barrel it's pretty darn quite. It will shoot them into a 1/2" group at 50 yards. I have 10 bricks of them so I can wait till they start making CB longs

N
N
Y'all Look at this: It will answer a lot of questions.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/compare.aspx
Pay special attn. to the bullet weights, velocities and trajectories.
Take notice the published trajectories for the 0970 (Segmented Quiet-22) is with zero set at 100 yds.

gemby58: CCI makes CB Longs. See above.

I use CB Longs as they are a bit more accurate than the CB Shorts in my rifle.
Quiet-22s are the most accurate in my rifle. I'm more careful about my "backstop" as they penetrate a good deal deeper.
I have 100 rounds of the Segmented Quiet-22; I just haven't tried them out yet.

DigitalDan did a good job of explaining a good bit of the BB, CB, etc. information. IMHO most of the crap posted on Wikipedia is just that. Crap.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
You guys have given me a lot of info. Thanx. I'm on vacation in Florida,now, but when I get home, I'm going to start trying out some of these low velocity quiet rounds. I live on a Lake and there's a lot of houses around, plus all the Berry pickers walking around the area, so I was always careful of what I was shooting at. I feel a bit better using less powerful rounds.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by NcWhitetail
Y'all Look at this: It will answer a lot of questions.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/compare.aspx
Pay special attn. to the bullet weights, velocities and trajectories.
Take notice the published trajectories for the 0970 (Segmented Quiet-22) is with zero set at 100 yds.

gemby58: CCI makes CB Longs. See above.

I use CB Longs as they are a bit more accurate than the CB Shorts in my rifle.
Quiet-22s are the most accurate in my rifle. I'm more careful about my "backstop" as they penetrate a good deal deeper.
I have 100 rounds of the Segmented Quiet-22; I just haven't tried them out yet.

DigitalDan did a good job of explaining a good bit of the BB, CB, etc. information. IMHO most of the crap posted on Wikipedia is just that. Crap.

I know that CCI makes CB longs, they just haven't been making them to sell as my supplier haven't seen any for 5 years, he had just about everything that CCI makes but CB longs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,100
Posts18,483,097
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.