Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Coyotes are a fairly new phenomenon around here but we do have them. I have read different posts on the 24HCF where someones dog has gotten torn up or killed by coyotes. Now I am wondering,is there any kind of dog that can stand up to a coyote 1 on 1 ? Do people ever hunt coyotes with a pack of dogs? What kind of dog/dogs would you use for this type of work ?

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
GB1

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are plenty of dogs that can stand up to coyotes but often,if a dog is out in the brush, it will be two coyotes on one.....and a coyote knows his business. Also if you look at a coyotes canines they are much longer than a similar sized domestic dog so they are no push over.
People do hunt them with packs very succesfully and coyotes will almost always run from multiple dogs. Coyotes are good at accessing situations.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree totally with FVA. A lone coyote generally will not tackle any but the smallest of dogs. They hunt in packs though and are much more experienced at fighting than your average pet dog.

A Beagle is a nice little dog, however I have a Walker Coonhound because he can probably take most coyotes if they're not in a pack and his longer legs keep his face up out of the weeds and such you find out in the country. Having two or more dogs can solve the "pack" problem. I don't fear leaving our dog run at night, but we have to keep him up because you have to watch him or he likes to run the cows some...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've asked this question both on the internet and in person to hound coyote hunters. The short answer is - not one on one. Not many dog coyote hunters will pit one of their hounds one on one with a big male coyote. Most often a pack of hounds runs the coyote for hours until the animal finally bays. Many times, the hounds trailing the coyote are rotated introducing fresh hounds to keep the pressure on the coyote. Finally when the coyote bays, fresh "kill dogs" are dropped down on the coyote and the fight is on. An older prime male will give a pack of kill dogs a fight, even though he's been chased down for hours by other hounds. In this case it seems, it takes a village to kill a coyote.

I made the post about my beagle above. I've coyote hunted for many years and have heard many, many, stories like mine. I spoke with a farmer today that had his large German Shepard killed by a lone coyote as he watched from his tractor. He thought his dog would whip the coyote and sat tight to watch the show. It didn't end as he expected! Another fellow a few years ago had his Chow torn up very badly by a coyote. This guy witnessed the fight from his workshop and thought the same thing. That his huge black Chow would teach the coyote a lesson. Not so.

I'm not saying there aren't any dogs that can't go toe to toe with one, just that it doesn't seem to happen with any frequency.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sighthounds, or more correctly Coursing Hounds. The real Coursing Hounds, not the AKC crap bred today. Do not let their passive nature and laid back personalities fool you, they are coyote killers when trained. A pair or more works best.

Edited to add this: Most dogs today have had the kill hold bred down or out of them. This includes even pitbulls and the so-called fighting breeds. There are some dogs in every breed who will display the kill bite, it is just way below the surface in their genetic characteristics.

True coursing dogs, still display the kill techniques, because this is how they have been bred to stop or "hold" the prey for their master. There is a difference in killing and fighting. Two or more work best, because one will get his backside protected while administering the kill hold.

Very few trailing hounds KNOW how to kill. Hounds that trail are bred to stop, or hold the prey for the hunter to locate. Even those bred for bear and hog, are usually only stopping/holding the prey for the hunter. Good idea to run a couple of greyhounds with the trailing dogs, Mister Coyote in for a life changing situation then, AS IN DEAD!!!

They don't get them all, but don't be surprised if the 'yotes move out of the area where you run them. Especially during whelping season.

Last edited by remseven; 11/26/06.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
remseven ,

You know your coyote dogs!
There are some large breed hounds that are turnkey dogs -find coyote put dogs on coyote dogs chase -kill coyote.
These type dogs are hunted often and trained physically for the sole purpose of killing yotes.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a gut feeling my parent's full-size akita can probably take down a coyote or two in rather quick fashion.

6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Being from NC I can't help but wonder if anyone has used Plott Hounds to hunt coyotes and if so how they did. For those that don't know the Plott is a rather large hound from the mountains of NC they are used to hunt bear and wild boar & have even been used to hunt jaguar in South America. The Plott is a hound with FIGHT bred into him. The state dog of NC.

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
6mm;

I don't know about how a Plott would do vs. a 'yote, but having seen them in action vs. 'coons, bear, deer, and bobcats, I'd put my money on the Plott.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6mm;

having seen them in action vs. 'coons, bear, deer, and bobcats, I'd put my money on the Plott.

second that!! I'm bettin on the Plott!!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Out in the Missouri Breaks, where my old man has been runnin' cows for the past 15 years, the ranch foreman's Kelpies frequently take down coyotes. It does however requires 2 or more of the speedy 25-35lb. dogs to tackle a single coyote. These are also working dogs who make their living chasing cows 9 months a year.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am a former Plott, English, and Leopard Cur hunter, owner and trainer. Do not hunt any dogs anymore. I have had dogs in those breeds that could kill, with a fight.

If you've never seen coursing dogs make a catch, there is no fight, only a kill. Think as in Cheetah catching it's prey. If the prey is "lucky" they may escape. If the coursing dog takes them down, the prey usually isn't lucky. They usually die from spinal bite, or suffocation, just as a cat kills. The key word is KILL not FIGHT.

As for the fight in Plotts, are you meaning grit to stay in the fight or battle, or being able to kill the bear or hog.

Leroy Haug of Swampland Plotts give the best description of what a bear dog should be years ago: He wanted a dog with enough grit to stay with the bear no matter how long, and when the bear turned to run again, to make life so miserable for the bear, the bear would stop again, or tree. Thus giving the hunters time to catch up.

Most large dogs can probably defend theirselves against any coyote single, or several if they can protect their backside someway. We are talking about a kill, not a fight. With coursing dogs the kill can occur at times so fast, all you will see is a blur of tumbling bodies, and a throat or neck hold on the prey when the tumbling bodies come to rest.

There may be guys in the Plains and Dakotas still hunting coursing dogs from horseback or truck. If you want some excitement and adventurous hunt, try to look them up, if any left in the sport.

If any of you readers are those hunters, are you still welding sicle bars on the front bumper. I'm thinking this may be a thing of the past also. Remember the first ride I took with one of those, thought I was going to end up in jail, LOL!!!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
remseven;

I ain't doubting that a bit, as far as the coursing hounds go.

Still, I'd take a pack of Plotts, bred and trained to run/kill 'yotes, and they'd have a ball.

Sickle bars to the bumpers, huh? Yikes...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just caught your post. Do they go for the kill hold? Have found that most collie types (working dogs) will instintively when they need to, or learn it.

Is the Kelpie strong enough to crush spine or neck on 'yote? See they are weight size in 'yote range is why I ask. Working types also can display instinct to work as team when after prey, herding (work). And they can get real smart and tricky about it, sometimes more cunning than the coyotes, LOL!!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yikes is what I thought. I'm riding along, middle seat, first time I see one used, is the first time I knew what it was there for. I'm thinking man that rancher is going to kill us if we make it back to the road. In the meantime I'm trying to hang on, so the driver can keep us upright, and my head from going through my you know what on the other end.

Only later when we stopped to repair the barbed wire, did I find out they did this only with permission, LOL!!!

Seems dead 'yotes were more important than spliced barbed wire to some of those ranchers in those days. Talked to some who told of (I saw this with my own eyes), calves that were getting eaten while they were being born.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having never actually seen them in kill mode I'm afraid I can't answer your question. I only have time to make it out for the annual fall roundup and therefore have only had the opportunity to take in the stories. I do however take the foreman as a man of his word. I'll ask my Dad when I see him during Christmas. Teamwork is certainly crucial herding cattle with these little dogs so I imagine it's part of their attack on coyotes as well. Sam

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Years back I knew an older local gentleman whose two heelers killed a coyote in one of his stock pens.

As for killing coyotes one on one, this 98 pound Russian wolfhound/greyhound cross is apparently up to the task...

http://www.gobacktothebasics.com/old_time_stories_and_facts_of_the_coyote.htm

The gist of the sport is setting a pack of greyhounds on the trail of a coyote and following the chase at a near-fifty-mph clip in the stripped-down truck known locally as the coyote car.

One of the ablest of the huntsmen is Ben Ammon of Bassett, whose pack of seven greyhounds and staghounds ran up a score of thirty-six kills last fall. Ammon's coyote car was made from a 1936 V8 pickup. The alteration involving �taking just about everything off of it.� In place of the original bed he has a large crate or cage on the rear to hold six of his hounds. A wide running board on the driver's side is the special place for Bob, his grizzled, 98-pound half-Russian, half-greyhound lead dog.

With the dogs loaded, Ammon takes off over the sand hills at about forty mph, he and Bob scanning the hills and draws for the first coyote to break cover. When the big dog spots the critter, he leaves his running board like a shot-regardless of the truck's speed. He usually rolls end over end a few times before he can get his long legs into action and light out after the coyote.

Bob's departure from the running board is the signal for Ammon to release his six other dogs, which he does by yanking on a pull cord that trips latches on the cage doors, allowing them to fall open in a horizontal position. Using the doors as springboards, the dogs bail out in a yelping, rolling mass. In less time than it takes to tell they have gained their legs and are off in pursuit of Bob and the coyote.

Their quarry is a gray, wolf-like animal ranging in weight from 35 to 50 pounds, and a formidable opponent on the defensive. He preys on calves that have become separated from the herd, and on sheep and poultry. His pelt is useless except as a trophy, and in some states it will bring a small bounty-leaving little more to coyote hunting than the sport involved.

Bob's weight and experience made him more than a match for almost any coyote he reaches, and Ammon has seen the time that he has finished off the animal before the rest of the pack arrived. However, he recalls a hunt on which Bob was late in arriving. Several less experienced dogs were having trouble with a tough old marauder. Bob took one grab at the beast's throat, flipped him over, and the hunt was ended.

The hunt follows a well-organized pattern. On coming along side the coyote, the lead dog grabs a leg and trips the animal. The rest of the dogs close in and the tussle is usually over in two minutes.

The length of the chase varies from three hundred yards to two miles on clear ground, and has been known to last between ten and twenty miles through deep snow or rough hills.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a Great Pyrenees,God rest his great soul, that weighed 170 pounds in fighting shape. He was loose on our farm from the time he was a pup till his demise and rest assured no two coyotes even thought of trying him. His hate of coyotes being part of his instinct was very evident as though he did not run in the hills to get them, they gave our place a wide berth and when they were howling he would go pretty far out barking his challenge till they stopped the ruckus, though seldom on his account hence long periods of barking at night. Among his assets besides being able to fit my head in his jaws was his long hair, particularly in the haunch and throat area that would certainly inhibit the effect of a bite in those areas.
I knew of a sheep farmer that had problems and got a female that got bit up pretty bad by a couple yotes. He than got a male as well and that was the end of his problems.
I could relate the story of the time my dog was barking relentlessly a from midnight till 1:30 before I finally got pissed enough to go shut him up. Found a guy standing prefectly still with his arm folded tightly against his body saying "I'm sorry" over and over again in tears. Sampson will always be my greatest dog...... Then there was the time with the 130 pound Rott.....no contest.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, when you find out the deal and method, let us know. How we learn stuff, when may never get chance to see it, and would appreciate the info. The Kelpies I've seen, are great little dogs.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
had a 115 lb rottweiler that would whip a pit bull, i would have put him against any coyote. especiall if that coyote was between him and i that coyote would be dead. he did that to a mean ass pit bull once. was a great dog, love his family like none other and would protect us with his life! ive seen him run coyotes down. couldnt catch them but sure ran em off!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,592
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.