Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
New ar15 owner here. Interested in putting a carry strap on my gun. Looking for advice as I see there are a myriad of options. Interested in just something to carry to my stand and out. Woods hunting from a stand so combat ready isn't a need at this time. What do you recommend for comfort?

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Do you wear a pack when you stand hunt? Do you want the gun in front of you at ready while walking in or not?

If you just want a shoulder strap you could make one that ties on to your barrel and stock pretty easy.

Or just get a Proctor sling.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MagPul MS3 . Quality product can be run as a single point or two point. Simple and easy.

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Generally I have a back pack or fanny pack

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I really like this one. The bungee is one of those things that I don't want to be without in a sling now that I've tried it.

http://www.armageddongear.com/Carbine-Sling_p_2.html

RLTW
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I watched Frank Proctor's video on his sling and decided to order one of them for $29.00. I have two of the magpul slings but just don't like them that much. I have the clips on one of them and the QD on the other and both seem bulky and don't work well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone have other suggestions? I've been looking for a good carry strap for my ARs as well.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of guys like the Way Of The Gun and Viking Tactical, i have both amd am very pleased with both of them.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've switched to the Way of the gun sling but for a carry strap, I like the mountain slings from uncle mikes.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For a carry strap I haven't improved on the nylon carry strap that shipped with my own 6920 in the LEO only days.

For current fancy push button QD I'm happy with a Magpul. If I lived with it I might be fussier.

For back country/rafting carry I bought a cheap double rifle so I could have an easy take down to pack and IF I packed with an AR I'd carry it in two pieces.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear
New ar15 owner here. Interested in putting a carry strap on my gun. Looking for advice as I see there are a myriad of options. Interested in just something to carry to my stand and out. Woods hunting from a stand so combat ready isn't a need at this time. What do you recommend for comfort?

I have no idea of the attachment points, with what you are working. If lacing around fixed points, just use any cheap padded sling that enables you to thread and attach the ends. You likely will lose a great deal of versatility and function, but if you only care to have a carry strap that is soft and easy on your neck and shoulder, than that should be cheap and easy to find at Walmart.

Otherwise, if you ever care to find a sling to carry in multiple positions, to transition, to pin the rifle to your chest so you can bend over and work w/ free hands, etc., etc...; Then, likely you need to look at something more military oriented. Three that are on the top of my list are:

- VCAS, VTAC, and the HSP D3.

All three are great, but they are completely different in how they are great. UnLikely no anal person would favor all three, but Likely the most anal person would like one of those three.

The VCAS differs w/ the VTAC in that the former uses a closed loop, while the latter users an open ended loop, leaving a loose tag end with what to deal. The closed loop of the VCAS works exceedingly well for those it fits to give adequate range of adjustment, but for some large people, having the greater range of adjustment offered by the open end VTAC is preferred. Draw back, however, you need to deal w/ the dangling loose tag end.

The new HSP D3 was the end result of Travis Haley's long search for the perfect single point, that could transition to two point carry when needed. Travis, who was one of the experts at Magpul, tried for years to make the Magpul slings work for him, often making modifications, but they never worked as well as he liked.

For me, I most use the VCAS w/ the new RED front swivel. It fits my size perfectly, w/ enough adjustment, from wearing nothing but a T-shirt, to wearing heavier clothing and a plate carrier w/ rifle plates. I have no use for the added adjustment range of the VTAC, and therefore I don't need to worry about a loose tag end strap getting snagged or tangled when climbing, etc. I prefer to mount the ends as far apart as possible, butt to muzzle, which better fits the VCAS vs HSP D3, so that is my normal first choice. In addition, I can grasp the RED swivel and sling at the mount, to use as a stand off when shooting behind and around a barrier, tree, etc.

If you decide to look at one of the high end combat slings, add the above three to your list.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks all for the thoughtful responses.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the way of the gun proctor sling I just mounted, it seems to be what he says it is, good $29 plus shipping decision. I will buy another.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear

Go to Amazon or Ebay or Wally World and buy some 1 inch lightweight webbing and some nylon slides and make your own.

I make all my slings that way

cost less than $5.00 a sling

Attach to buttstock in whatever manner you want to and Just slide over barrel or handguard in front and snug it up

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.