Whoa. That's quite a specimen.

He must have been pretty discrete about his bait pile visits. *grins*

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The item you were looking for is no longer published.

That went quick....

oh well, I always liked the radio station playing the song on Friday morning before the Minnesota Opener each year...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
The item you were looking for is no longer published.

That went quick....

oh well, I always liked the radio station playing the song on Friday morning before the Minnesota Opener each year...

THIS

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Do You Mean This One?

Buck found dead in U.P.’s Delta County is a 30-pointer [Photo]
BY RICHARD P. SMITH CONTRIBUTING WRITER
March 14, 2016
CBM measurer Buck Hagy measures the 30-point white-tailed buck found dead in Delta County. Photo by Richard P. Smith
CBM measurer Buck Hagy measures the 30-point white-tailed buck found dead in Delta County. Photo by Richard P. Smith
Lansing — The rack from a 30-point nontypical white-tailed buck that was found dead in Delta County during 2015 scores higher than any other nontypical on record for Michigan. The rack created a lot of interest at the recent Deer & Turkey Expo late last month at Lansing Center. Although the huge antlers were officially measured by state record keeper Commemorative Bucks of Michigan, the owner of the antlers did not enter them in state records.

Kris Duerson, of Rapid River and with Rapid River Knife Works, found the antlers and the remains of the buck that grew them while walking through the area where he hunts deer.

“At first I thought it was a shed antler sticking up out of the snow,” Duerson said. “When I pulled it up and the other antler came into view still attached to the skull, I was really surprised.”

Duerson had a booth at the show to sell knives made by his company, so he brought the large set of antlers with him to have them measured.

“I’ve had the rack at the shop since I found it,” Duerson said. “I figured it would score high, but had no idea how high. I showed the antlers to a couple of people who know how to measure antlers and they didn’t know where to start.”

Duerson said all that was left of the deer was the backbone, skull, and antlers. The remains were about 250 yards from a hunting blind, so Duerson said the deer could have been shot by a hunter and not recovered.

“There are a couple of deer farms in the area,” he said. “The buck that grew those antlers may have escaped from one of those farms.”

Captive deer are supposed to be ear-tagged, however, and Duerson said he didn’t see any ear tags where he found the antlers. If the buck had been tagged, scavengers could have carried those tags away with the ears, though.

The amazing rack has 14 points on the right beam and 16 on the left. Twenty of those points were considered nontypicals, according to CBM measurer Buck Hagy, which totaled 872⁄8 inches in length. The antlers have a gross score of 2687⁄8 and a net of 2512⁄8.

Until the Delta County rack surfaced, the highest-scoring nontypical on record for Michigan was a 26-pointer that was found dead in Lenawee County in February 2010. Those antlers grossed 2571⁄8 and netted 2462⁄8. The racks from bucks found dead, roadkills, and those on which the hunter’s identity isn’t known, go in the pickup category.

To be considered a state record in any category for CBM records, a buck has to be taken by a hunter, so the state record nontypical is a 29-pointer that Paul Mickey shot in Bay County during 1976. Those antlers netted 2382⁄8.

Could Duerson’s buck be a wild whitetail that grew such an enormous rack?

It’s possible. The late Ralph Hobbs shot a nontypical 21-pointer in Delta County in 1929 that netted 237 when it was measured during recent years. Those antlers were 74 years old when they were finally measured, so they likely shrunk some during that time. The antlers grossed in the 240s when they were measured.----
------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't get the pic to transfer. I'll try another option.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well Here's the Pic

[Linked Image]

Don't ask me HOW I did that--I'd have to shoot you with E- VIRTUAL 223 AI- laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks, Jerry. It's always a pleasure to see a really outstanding buck. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GADS! I know the guy that found him, bought a few knives from him. Solid guy and doubt there is any BS in the story

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
E -

You are welcome. I know I would like to have seen it if it were the other way around.

I hope others read down the thread far enuff to see the pic.
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Little chance it was a wolf kill, if it was, the nose would be gone.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good golly what a rack!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Odessa
Good golly what a rack!

I've met a few gals in my life that fell into that category also... whistle

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (160user, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 270cowboy, 22250rem, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,133
Posts18,523,175
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.