Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
HUNTS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is no reason to replace it. It fits its role perfectly. If the current ones are beyond repair, build new ones. To me it seems the same as trying to find a replacement for the spoon...why?

HUNTS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They mention operational costs as low as $1,000/hr compared to the much higher costs of A10, etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My spoon costs too much to keep welding back together. I should spend billions to find something else that does the same job but costs even more to repair.

Real life example. The F-22, amazing plane that can't use the missile they designed for it. Amazing stealth paint that cracks and flakes off...$$$$$ to repaint. F-35...nothing else needs to be said about that pile.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They recently wrapped up some gun time with two OV-10 Bronco's that were pulled out of mothballs to test the concept of a cheap turbo-prop attack aircraft. Against a 3rd world enemy the any of those 5 would be quite effective. The Bronco had over 99% mission completion rate, that's pretty darned good. They're reliable, effective, and cheap.

Wouldn't break my heart to see Bronco's pulled out of mothballs and put back in service for very limited missions. I think that's a very inexpensive solution for the small, low tech wars.

But there needs to be a more reasonable replacement for a 1st world war and they seriously need to fast track a replacement.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO, they need to move the A-10's out of the AF, along with the funding and move it to the Army. Let the Army form attack squadrons of A-10s, Apaches, AC-130 Spectres and let the Army protect their own, if they cannot depend on USAF command to choose the aircraft that will do the BEST job.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
IMO, they need to move the A-10's out of the AF, along with the funding and move it to the Army. Let the Army form attack squadrons of A-10s, Apaches, AC-130 Spectres and let the Army protect their own, if they cannot depend on USAF command to choose the aircraft that will do the BEST job.

Well stated. The A-10 was designed as a tank-killer first, CAS second. Big Blue has to be made to fulfill the former. The Army should not be dependent on a sister service to protect its own troops in the field. The CAS mission doesn't require the range typically that the tank-killer mission might require.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The A-10 wouldn't survive long in a 1st world clash in today's SAM environment, so we need to be thinking about a replacement that would.

For 3rd world, most anything that flies and has a reasonable loiter time would do the trick fairly well.

Actually maybe we're looking in the wrong direction. The AC-130 is THE premier CAS platform, perhaps we should be looking at any inexpensive version of the AC-130.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The A-10 wouldn't survive long in a 1st world clash in today's SAM environment, so we need to be thinking about a replacement that would.

Maybe so, I dunno, but didn't the USAF take care of Saddam's SAM sites with Wild Weasels and F16-'s ahead of the invasion? Not saying you're wrong, as I no nothing of the newer tech. Even with an improved aircraft, it'll still be a combined effort, I believe.

Also, we have an astonishingly low number of C-130 gunships, IIRC, it is less than two dozen. Hurlburt FL , and England are the only bases for them.

Last edited by Bluemonday; 03/16/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem I see atleast in my opinion and view of what the military is trying to do, is they want 1 jet to do it all. Reminds me of a reloader or hunter that wants 1 caliber or 1 bullet to do it all. Long range, short range, rabbits groundhogs, dangerous game and so on. Atleast thats what it looks like with the F-35. I'm sure its a good idea and a way to try and save money, but in reality is it practical?
The A10 is an ugly thing but I love seeing them fly around town on a daily basis. They serve a purpose. Maybe make a plane just as ugly that can fly just as slow or just as fast, can do what the A10 can and not try to add fighter this and bomber that. keep it simple so it can kill tanks, protect troops and scare the piss out of the enemy. Save the fighter crap and bomber crap for fighter jets and bombers. Hell Maybe even a helicopter between the Apache helicopter and A10 if there could be such a thing.
I'm just an outsider looking in so I could be totally wrong. However trying to create 1 jet to do it all seems dumb. Or am I dumb? lol

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Stop. Nothing will, but what the A-10 has going for it is survivability from a close aboard detonation or even a direct hit by a MANPAD. Also, it flies down low, very low and before the enemy can engage it with SAMs, it has to "see it". In a "First World" engagement, the A-10 would be employed after some sort of air superiority has been established. Before that, we have standoff weapons like JDAM, JSOW, etc. In a way with either Iran or the NORKS, the A-10 would be a great asset as a CAS platform when the above requirements have been met. On the Texan, I flew in the first one to arrive in Pensacola. Great little sports car, but an A-10 it will never be.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Well stated. The A-10 was designed as a tank-killer first, CAS second. Big Blue has to be made to fulfill the former. The Army should not be dependent on a sister service to protect its own troops in the field. The CAS mission doesn't require the range typically that the tank-killer mission might require.

You need to brush up on your history for starters..secondly, CAS missions are strictly contingent on theater OPS with readily available tanker support if need be.The mission hasn't changed in 75 yrs.The Army flying CAS from AF installations or taking on the massive maintenance and logistic requirements to keep said aircraft combat ready ain't happening.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

The Army flying CAS from AF installations or taking on the massive maintenance and logistic requirements to keep said aircraft combat ready ain't happening.
[/quote]

The Army has said it would and could do exactly that on numerous occasions. Flyboys go to Congress and throw tantrums. The Air Force has never wanted the CAS mission, FUGG the Air Force.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
In a "First World" engagement, the A-10 would be employed after some sort of air superiority has been established.
In a first world engagement there would be a massive amount of MANPAD's vs. engagemtents like we're in now.

So if we managed to establish air superiority, and take out their major air defense systems, there MANPAD thereat would be unlike anything we've ever seen before. The Russians and Chinese would hand out MANPAD's like lollypops. So unless there's some system that takes out a dude with a missile anytime they pop up, it would be a much different, more complex operating environment than the A-10 has ever operated in.

And the A-10 is built to take hits from MANPADS, but that A-10 is down for the count for a while after a hit.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The Army flying CAS from AF installations or taking on the massive maintenance and logistic requirements to keep said aircraft combat ready ain't happening.

The Army has said it would and could do exactly that on numerous occasions. Flyboys go to Congress and throw tantrums. The Air Force has never wanted the CAS mission, FUGG the Air Force. [/quote]They say they want the mission to keep the money/mission from going to the Army, but then when the argument's over, they leave the Army high and dry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The Army has said it would and could do exactly that on numerous occasions. Flyboys go to Congress and throw tantrums. The Air Force has never wanted the CAS mission, FUGG the Air Force.[/quote]

Show me or provide a link that says so..This is one of those often used CF quotes that gets tossed around when appropriate.Your limitations and lack of expertise on the matter are quite evident..do carry on.

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
In a "First World" engagement, the A-10 would be employed after some sort of air superiority has been established.
In a first world engagement there would be a massive amount of MANPAD's vs. engagemtents like we're in now.

So if we managed to establish air superiority, and take out their major air defense systems, there MANPAD thereat would be unlike anything we've ever seen before. The Russians and Chinese would hand out MANPAD's like lollypops. So unless there's some system that takes out a dude with a missile anytime they pop up, it would be a much different, more complex operating environment than the A-10 has ever operated in.

And the A-10 is built to take hits from MANPADS, but that A-10 is down for the count for a while after a hit.

Your solution is a more expensive, more delicate, newer platform?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the A-10 should be able to survive as well as any low level attack aircraft, redundant systems,high mounted and wide spaced high bypass engines that can eat a lot of junk and spit it out. Good pilot protection.
As to mission, I saw one Pilot quoted that sure he can take out a tank, but he can also take out one guy on a bicycle,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Question - for CAS and tank killer, what does the A-10 bring to the dance that the helicopters don't?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Theater and threat assessment will always dictate assets brought to bear on hostiles and the order in which they're employed. As jorge points out the new high tech battlefield probably won't risk first strike aircraft of the CAS variety until some major disruption of command/control elements or silencing AAA or SAM threats.

Woody
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 3,343 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,711
Posts18,534,893
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.