Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
So my 11 year old boy broke his today....the so call sling that goes around and under both shoulders and across his back doesn't seem to be that great. Anyone BTDT and have any words of wisdom? Any better "brace/sling" or is it just one of those stay still, rest and heal??? Thanks.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That figure-eight sling has always been the standard treatment for an uncomplicated clavicle break. The only alternative I'm aware of would be internal fixation via surgery. It all depends on the break but I'd guess the doc knows what he's doing.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tough to keep an 11 yo boy still!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Tough to keep an 11 yo boy still!

Nah, just break his collar bone and you can settle him right down.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The figure 8 is as good as it gets. Nothing will give him any comfort but the first thing you need to do if you don't already have one is get a recliner. You can't sleep laying down, it is torture. I broke mine in 5 places and had to have surgery and so did my son a couple of years later. He could only sleep in a recliner too. I have broke several bones and the collar bone is the worst.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hope the bugger heals quickly and is able to get a little comfort and sleep.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I broke my clavicle in a bicycle wreck several years ago, I wore a standard sling for about eight weeks or so. Unaware that the figure eight was the standard treatment. Mine was a simple break near the outer end of the bone, while it hurt it was not excruciatingly painful. I was fortunate that it healed well and has never been a problem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have broken my left one twice. Broke it in 3-4 spot in 07 and wore the figure 8 deal for 6 weeks or so. Second time I broke it was in 09 and the dr in Whitehorse said then don't use the figure 8 deal any more. I was never one to have my arm in a skin so I just stuffed my hand in the jean pocket.

My pain was never bad took a few ibuprofen to keep the swelling down but no pain killers for either break. As for sleeping I used two pillows one to keep my arm supported when I slept on my side and another to keep me from rolling over to far on my back.

I Wish the young guy a speedy and full recovery and in 6-8 weeks he will be back to normal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
So my 11 year old boy broke his today....the so call sling that goes around and under both shoulders and across his back doesn't seem to be that great. Anyone BTDT and have any words of wisdom? Any better "brace/sling" or is it just one of those stay still, rest and heal??? Thanks.

It's torture for a young boy. My 13-yr old broke his on a 4-wheeler. Lucky he didn't break his head or his neck. He wore a figure 8 brace for about 2-1/2 months.

Just make sure he's careful at first. My son was playing video games in the basement 2 weeks after the accident. He was getting up out of a gaming chair and rebroke his. It was starting to calcify. He was in lots of pain. He didn't know any better, but he learned a hard lesson. He was very careful after that not to rebreak it.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Wild Turkey helps.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've broke both. Raced motocross. The figure 8 helps heal things in the correct alignment. Not much use really. It has to be real bad to need surgery. My last break looked like a Z and it healed fine.
Lying down is very hard. The worst part if you ask me. Easier to sleep on a couch sideways with pillows behind the back and under the knees, leaning on good shoulder against back of couch.

Last edited by prm; 03/17/16.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I broke mine in two places racing Moto-X. I wore the figure 8 thing for 6 weeks and was fine.

I broke it again my Junior year of high school in a play. This time it was displaced and had a triangular shaped piece unattached. They wanted to do surgery. I told them to set it and I would lay on my back for a week to get it to take. They agreed. I missed a week of school and it healed. I won a powerlifting tournament 8 weeks later. Apparently it doesn't have much stress!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, not to take anything away from the troubles your son has, Todd Palin it was recently reported, broke his clavicle in a snow machine crash and had to have plates and pins fixed in order to fix it up. He also broke ribs in 11 places and has metal bands placed to lift his ribs. He has issues with lung bruising and they're working to re-inflate one lung. A broken shoulder blade will have to wait for now, as will ACL and MCL damage. Not sure how is survived, still not certain who found and came to his rescue.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This guy is a strong believer in surgical correction for clavicles and is a big time knee guy for MX racers and other athletes. People that want to get back on a motocross bike real fast swear by him. A no bullshit kinda guy that would like fit in well on here.
http://www.sandersclinic.net

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 17 year old did this a couple or three years ago during the wrestling practice. This was the day before the first dual of the season. He missed the entire season but wrestled like nothing had happened the next year.

The two ends didn't grow back together end to end. One overlapped the other by a half inch or so, he has a bump there but not tender in any way.

Young bones heal quicker than old ones.

Black Cows Matter!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by smarquez
This guy is a strong believer in surgical correction for clavicles and is a big time knee guy for MX racers and other athletes. People that want to get back on a motocross bike real fast swear by him. A no bullshit kinda guy that would like fit in well on here.
http://www.sandersclinic.net

Agree with you on Dr Sanders, I follow him on TT, He's a class act.
Our son Blew up a clavical, again, on his last "Get Off" . We chose to have the surgery because recovery from his previous two breaks were a long slow painful slog..

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Just a thanks for the responses....he is back to school today since his fall thursday. He's doing what he's supposed to do, so far...grin. We have a follow up this thursday.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 28 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,197
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.