Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Good luck. You couldn't pay me to go on a cruise. I'd have more fun doing the AMH from Bellingham to Ketchikan, or some other leg and spending a few days in a town.

This ^^^^

and.....

Originally Posted by ironbender

Not a trip for me either, but if that's what you want, have fun!

bring a high limit credit card and load it up at the stops. Bring plenty of cash and leave it in state! thank you.

This ^^^^ wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Bob, they even frown on a pocketknife aboard. Absofookinglutely no guns.

Yep. If you do need some kind of a weapon.......derringer....saber...whatever, just trot on down to the galley and put in a request with one of the furign help. One of the Coast-dudes I talked with one time had all kinds of 'fun' stories.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Issac, did the exact same itinarary on the Celebrity Solstice two years ago. Great trip.

Our second time on the Solstice,very nice ship. We are frquent cruisers, Solstice one of our favorites.

Inside passage is pretty calm, this trip was calmer than most others. Try the patch, or ginger, most of the other motion sickness pills make you tired, and you really dont want to sleep through this trip.

Good binoculars a must, especially if you have a balcony room, can spend hours glassing. Thin pair of long underware tops and bottoms nice for balcony, especially at night as it is dark only a few hours.

Tracy Arm fjord is fabulous, take your breath away.

Lukewarm on Ketchican, Juneau is the the place for whale watching, Skagway a really neat town. Victoria, you are only there a couple hours, can rent a towncar and get a quick tour.

A great souvenier is an Ulu knife in Skagway, pass on the chinese ones, get an Alaskan made one with walrus ivory.

If you are a drinker, the Molecular bar and martini bar on board are both a hoot.

Pm me with any other questions.

Trust me, it will be a great trip.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
After five cruises up to Alaska we have been to nearly every port you can cruise into to. We have yet to get sick despite being in open seas and some pretty rough water at times. From looking at your itenerary you probably won't experience to much, if any, rough water. My wife's biggest friend is ginger which she starts taking a week before the cruise starts. When she feels queasy she will drink ginger ale. The worst time was out of Ketchikan one night heading towards Victoria. I always gave Dennis (muledeer) a bad time because he warned us it would be rough that night and I told him he must have ordered it. laugh

One thing we really enjoyed that I haven't seen mention is the White Pass Railway trip out of Skagway. It is narrow gauge rails and the scenery is stunning. It offers a great change from looking at water all the time.

Hopefully you will go to the end of Tracy Arm and see this. It is my favorite glacier.

[Linked Image]

Have fun, my wife would go five times a year if she could afford it. laugh

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a nice boat. The itinerary posted looks like a mild tourist trip - much of it getting to and from Alaska. Once there, you will see lots of empty coastline on the inside punctuated with tourist trap sites. Long after you leave Alaska, Victoria is a big one.

Most of the expansive wild appeal and charm of Alaska will be beyond reach of your route.

Take a warm jacket/coat. The recommended meds may help you avoid the woozies, but have been told that both Bonine and Scopalamine will cause serious erectile dysfunction for weeks - in addition to dry mouth.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
Get your Doc to give you some Transderm Scopolomine patches. They stick behind your ear and are good for 72 hrs each. Your mouth will be a little dry, but you won't be seasick.

as a pharmacist, I highly recommend this advice.
Much better than any tablets you can take.
Just remember to put the first one on 8-12 hours before you get on the boat. Also, carry some meclizine with you just in case you need some extra help.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I have been on the Alaska ferries a number of times. Mostly for hunting.Very crowded in summer. A lot of fun.. off season.

I would torpedo the polluting cruise ships ..if I could get away with it.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Can't help with cruise advice, having never been on one, but can recommend things to do on shore excusions!

If you have a hankering to fly, I would recommend a flight-seeing tour of the Misty Fjords National Monument if you arrive in Ketchikan with decent weather. It's truly breathtaking from the air, and there's really no other way to see it in a day. Several air tours will land on one of several lakes, or on salt water, to give you a different perspective of the area, but it's pretty spectacular.

If you still want to fly, there are several helicopter tour companies in Juneau that will take you up on the Juneau icefield, where you can hike on the glaciers, go on dogsledding tours, climb ice cliffs, or just take in the sights. There are also floatplane trips out to the Taku Glacier Lodge for a salmon bake or just to do flight-seeing over several glaciers. If you don't want to fly, take a tour out to the Mendenhall Glacier and hike out to Nugget Falls or hike the East Glacier trail.

In Skagway the thing to do is the White Pass & Yukon Route narrow gauge railroad. It is simply outstanding.

Hope you enjoy the visit, Alaska is fantastic!

Chris

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 47 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,092
Posts18,501,938
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.