Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
For those of you who wear an OWB holster, either concealed or open carry, which cant do you prefer, vertical or the so-called FBI (15 degree) cant? Why?

Thanks, RS

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vertical for me.

-I do a lot of drawing from vertical holsters and don't see the sense in changing for CC.
-I carry at 3 o'clock and don't see a huge concealment benefit of a cant there, but do have to torque my wrist weird to draw from a canted holster at 3 o'clock.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me its vertical if it will be between 12-3 o'clock, and increasing cant the further back i carry it. If one is used to a duty holster they typically prefer vertical to be in synce with their familiarity as Blue said above.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Vertical, on the hip, is the fastest draw. A vertical holster also reduces your tendency to "chicken wing", IE, kick your elbow out to the side, in order to obtain a proper grip. This is a tactical consideration.

The FBI cant helps the butt/grip of a full-sized gun blend into your body, reducing its likelyhood to print. To work best it typically needs to be behind the hip. This makes it nearly impossible to draw with your opposite/support hand. YMMV.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Vertical, just more of a natural draw for me.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Straight draw for me.

As gifts I have received a few darn nice custom holsters that came with a cant, and I have kept them. But I very much prefer a straight draw.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For concealed carry I like my holster canted because it pulls the butt in a little more and doesn't print as much under clothing.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Vertical for me. At one time I liked canted, but a 3:00 CC, is very handy for me. I like the Askins Avenger style that way.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
As much as I try to "dress around the gun", for me canted makes it easier to conceal.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Straight drop for me ...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I first started carrying a handgun in the field, pretty much every holster I could find was straight. I still carry that way when carrying openly, and besides being potentially faster (or probably less slow, in my case) it's also more comfortable - both mostly due, I think, to my straight holsters also riding lower. But being not such a large guy, I can't conceal much of a gun in most of the year without a canted rig.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have used a straight drop IWB holster very similar to a Milt Sparks Summer Special. It is secure and easy to draw. Used it with a Sig P229 DAO in 40 S&W.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I prefer the vertical holster. The draw out of it is much cleaner. Bruce Nelson designed the No. 1 Professional holster with a straight draw.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RipSnort
For those of you who wear an OWB holster, either concealed or open carry, which cant do you prefer, vertical or the so-called FBI (15 degree) cant? Why?

Thanks, RS

Purpose would likely influence my preference:

For a duty belt holster, such as something common like a level II or III Safariland, most would have a built-in degree of forward cant. Even if something like a G-Code XTS, it would likely be mounted w/ some degree of forward cant when worn as a duty belt holster. Reasons, comfort and access when seated in a vehicle, and tactical advantages if the weapon needed to be drawn or reholstered w/ the weak hand.

For an OWB conceal carry holster, it would likely have additional forward cant for better concealment, and/or for better access if worn at the flat of the hip past 3 o'clock.

I have worn some belt hung holsters, w/ various degrees of drop, that worked better at the lower ride when hung more vertical or neutral.

Clearly, if the holster was to be worn in some form of appendix position, either strong or weak side, the needs for cant would differ even more so.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I carry a full sized gun the most and found a canted holster fits my needs the best. It is mostly for the ease of concealment but it also tends to ride better when seated in the car or truck, especially with the seats in the truck.

Compacts and all revolver holsters hang vertically. Their sizes and shapes appear to not require the tilt for comfort and concealment. It was not really noticed they all hung vertically until I read this and I thought about what I had.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1234, 22kHornet, 1_deuce, 43 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,266
Posts18,504,903
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.