Print Thread
Hop To
D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have quite a few Leupold base and ring mounting systems on my rifles. Thinking of trying a Talley light weight, the one with the ring and base combined. This would be for a small cal varmint gun.

And big negative issues with the aluminum Talleys?

Last edited by dale06; 03/17/16.

NRA Patron
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
They do seem to be a bit higher than other mount types, but some are offered in low and extra low as well, depending on what gun they are for.

Strength shouldn't be an issue with varmint guns. I never put much trust into the Leupold type standard bases myself, but again, for small calibers they are fine.

The Talley steel rings and bases hold up to anything, but obviously that is much more than is needed for your situation.

Last edited by KenMi; 03/17/16.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have been using them for years. Never had a single issue even on some hard kickers. 300 WSM, 338-06 and even the 308 from a 5 lb rifle is pretty sharp. They have always held zero.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Only have a few Talley light weights, but the only problem I have seen is if you over torque the screws. Easy to strip the aluminum threads. More of an operator error than a product problem.

I have had half a dozen Leupold mounts where there was blue sky showing underneath the rear mount. None of these rings were lapped in so that could be the problem combined with the factory receiver tolerances. I did have one base screw snap off, but again more of an operator error issue. But I have always felt like most of the rigidity is from the front base only on the Leupold.

So I guess this proves I can screw up either of them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I've been considering some Talley Lightweights for a knight ML I have. I like the design.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

They have to be lapped. I don't mind and use them regularly.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had very good luck with them including on a couple of 300 Weatherby rifles, if there is some kind of troublesome mounting problem with a rifle Talley's often make it go away,......height, misaligned base to ring fit were the last to get straightened out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ringman

They have to be lapped. I don't mind and use them regularly.

Try using them on a better rifle: Let me clarify. If you are having alignment issues, it's not the ring. Trust me, there are some issues with the machining of the bridges/top of receiver of your rifles. I've never had to lap a set of talleys..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dale06
I have quite a few Leupold base and ring mounting systems on my rifles. Thinking of trying a Talley light weight, the one with the ring and base combined. This would be for a small cal varmint gun.

What kind of "small cal varmint gun". Pretty vague description. I use them on everything from a 22 WMR RAR to 7 pound 338 win mag...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tejano
Only have a few Talley light weights, but the only problem I have seen is if you over torque the screws. Easy to strip the aluminum threads. More of an operator error than a product problem.

I have had half a dozen Leupold mounts where there was blue sky showing underneath the rear mount. None of these rings were lapped in so that could be the problem combined with the factory receiver tolerances. I did have one base screw snap off, but again more of an operator error issue. But I have always felt like most of the rigidity is from the front base only on the Leupold.

So I guess this proves I can screw up either of them.

Mine don't have aluminum threads. Please explain..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Really? Solid aluminum rings with threads that aren't aluminum?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 160user, 16gage, 60 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,318
Posts18,505,737
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.