Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gents, a buddy of mine asked me about this pistol for concealed carry for himself the other day - I wasn't even aware of this model (I've got plenty of firearms and don't read much on the new stuff anymore). The conversation also included reloading for it and thus the rifling and case support in the chamber. Tell me what you think, if you own one, and what you know about reloading for the gun - standard rifling and a supported chamber? Thanks for your input.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Great gun, no issues

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Several of our deputies are using them and they really like them.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GREAT!!!!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice piece for waist carry. My Taurus PT111 G2 is a little too thick and heavy. Wish I had purchased a narrower, lighter 9mm like yours, the Ruger LC9s Pro or even the Taurus 709 Slim instead.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 03/23/16.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No personal experience with the 9mm, but a friend recently picked up a .40 cal. It is a stout little bugger in a small package!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the information. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I not only carry mine all the time, I also shoot it frequently. Great gun. I also load for it. No issues.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Ernie

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the Shield but in 40, great carry gun with zero malfunctions

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Been carrying mine for a couple of years now. Great pistol. About 750 rounds through it (will have to look at my book to see for sure) and no issues. Mine is, however, the thumb safety model but it doesn't bother me any.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Shield is a good little pistol. Smith does a good job of pumping them out too.

We had an event this weekend and started Friday morning with 30+ 9mm Shields in inventory. We sold out just after lunch on Saturday. They have a pretty big following down here. We sell more of the thumb safety model (180021) than any other model in their line.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Been carrying mine for a couple of years now. Great pistol. About 750 rounds through it (will have to look at my book to see for sure) and no issues. Mine is, however, the thumb safety model but it doesn't bother me any.

A Moto Tool will fix that problem in under 2 minutes after takedown.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Originally Posted by bearstalker

A Moto Tool will fix that problem in under 2 minutes after takedown.

Not everyone thinks it is a problem. That's why they make both.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, a question. Why are the majority here seemingly against external safeties on guns like the Shield, M&P9, Glock etc. but seem to be fine with the safety on 1911s? Both must be thumbed off for the gun to fire. In essence, both guns (if a round is chambered and safety on) would be considered "cocked and locked". Just asking.........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If the thumb safety was a bit better designed, I wouldn't have minded it. As it is, I never used it but rather relied on a Kydex holster to cover the trigger and my own self to keep my finger off the trigger until I wanted to shoot it.

I let my cousin shoot it one day and he engaged the safety. I almost didn't catch it and wondered what would've happened if I had needed it. I sold that one and bought one without a safety. Problem solved.

My full size 9MM and 45ACP also are sans safety and have good triggers in them. The ones I've handled with a safety seem to not be quite as smooth to me. May just be a coincidence.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem with the Shield safety is that it's nearly unusable. I've seen quite a few go through a course recently and as soon as you introduce a little stress and make people draw and shot quickly people stop using it and leave it off because it's hard to manipulate. The problem with that "solution" is that at some point that safety can be inadvertently flipped on and you won't be expecting that when you need it.

I bought my wife a 9mm Shield a while back and immediately had to send it back for failure to eject problems. It's back from Smith now, but I haven't fired it yet. The .40 Shield I had was problem free except that it was such a handful to shoot.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've got one with no safety and factory night sights. It's with me at all times.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by lastround
Ok, a question. Why are the majority here seemingly against external safeties on guns like the Shield, M&P9, Glock etc. but seem to be fine with the safety on 1911s? Both must be thumbed off for the gun to fire. In essence, both guns (if a round is chambered and safety on) would be considered "cocked and locked". Just asking.........

I think for a couple of reasons, lastround.

first, more than a few of us have been working with the Glock for more than a few years. An external safety on a carry pistol now requires an extra thought process.

Second, with the 1911, carrying cocked and locked, means the piece is at full cock with the safety engaged. A Glock is only half cocked and the trigger manipulation completes the other half of the cocking process, along with the firing motion, so it isn't exactly the same as carrying a 1911 with the safety off.

Worst of all for me, was trying to use or carry the Shield with the manual safety in the Off position. Invariably, I would take it out of my hip pocket at he end of the day, to find the manual safety had engaged itself.

I eventually called that a dealbreaker and sent my Shield down the road.

It was only after that, that Smith introduced a Shield without a manual safety.

By then, however, I had a Glock 43 in my back pocket.

The problem was solved for me.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good explanations. Thanks guys; I just checked out a Shield with the external thumb safety and I can see where it could be a problem, especially in a high-stress situation. It definitely is not as user friendly as is the safety on a 1911. I have a Glock 17 gen4 on layaway at the shop. Gonna wring it out and see how I like Glocks.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1badf350, 1minute, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 52 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,337
Posts18,487,680
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.