Print Thread
Hop To
W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I am toying with the idea of selling a re-barreled pre 64 in a 6mm remington. I currently have it in a Mcmillian stock but also have a wood stock and bottom metal that fits it too. The barrel is a stainless Mark Chandler with a 1-9.5 twist. I have been trying o get it to shoot VLD type bullets but isn't twisted correctly to shoot them. It is very accurate with flat based bullets, but i am into shooting steel at extended ranges. I have no idea what the value is on pre-64's, especially one that has been customized. Does anyone know what a fair price would be on it?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
At one time I had a 257R that was Ackley Improved built on a Pre64 action. The gun was stocked with a very nice piece of English walnut and would literally cut holes with IMR 4350 and Nosler 115gr BT. I sold the rifle with a Leupold Vari X III scope and the dies and brass and 100 rounds of loaded ammo for just about what I had into it.

At the end of the day only the action is Pre64. If it's not shooting the bullets you want to use it might be cheaper to just re barrel it. It's hard to get your money back on a custom built rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wildwyo
I am toying with the idea of selling a re-barreled pre 64 in a 6mm remington. I currently have it in a Mcmillian stock but also have a wood stock and bottom metal that fits it too. The barrel is a stainless Mark Chandler with a 1-9.5 twist. I have been trying o get it to shoot VLD type bullets but isn't twisted correctly to shoot them. It is very accurate with flat based bullets, but i am into shooting steel at extended ranges. I have no idea what the value is on pre-64's, especially one that has been customized. Does anyone know what a fair price would be on it?

It's worth the sum of the parts. Say if you were going to part it out and sell it piece by piece...

Here's an example of how it would break down:

1. Receiver with bolt, extractor, trigger.
2. Bottom metal
a. Custom
b. Original
3. Barrel
4. Stocks
a. Wood
b. Mcmillan
5. Any other original parts you may have.

Furthermore, If your trigger has been swapped out to anything else, you'll have to try and sell that separately. Is the receiver re-blued or coated? An all original receiver with original bluing will be worth more than anything that has been refinished/reblued. Semi-custom rifles don't sell for chit unless they are documented as being as such by any of the well known guild. For example, Echols, Biesen, Wiebe, Simillion, Turnbull, Tannel, etc. etc...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by wildwyo

It's worth the sum of the parts. Say if you were going to part it out and sell it piece by piece...

Here's an example of how it would break down:

1. Receiver with bolt, extractor, trigger.
2. Bottom metal
a. Custom
b. Original
3. Barrel
4. Stocks
a. Wood
b. Mcmillan
5. Any other original parts you may have.

Furthermore, If your trigger has been swapped out to anything else, you'll have to try and sell that separately. Is the receiver re-blued or coated? An all original receiver with original bluing will be worth more than anything that has been refinished/reblued. Semi-custom rifles don't sell for chit unless they are documented as being as such by any of the well known guild. For example, Echols, Biesen, Wiebe, Simillion, Turnbull, Tannel, etc. etc...

I assumed the value was a sum of the components, its a nice little rifle; it just isnt filling a niche for me anymore. Here is a list of the components that are on the rifle
1- action appears to be unaltered, the bluing is wore but no rust and it was originally of of a 300 H&H. The bolt is jewelled and the trigger is original,
2- The McMillian is an ADL style, had to modify the magazine box a bit to make it work.
3.There is an original bottom metal/trigger guard that have never been blued/no rust. I also have a williams metal triger guard for the McMillian.
4. The wood stock is in great condition, but I don't know if its an original or an aftermarket. It definately has been refinished.
5. I have 2 sets of talley light rings for it in low and medium hieghts. There is also a very nice base and ring system that i cant identify that came on it.
6. The barrel is a semi heavy stainless made by Mark Chandler, the mark on the barrel is M.A.C. 6mm remington. The research that I have done on the barrel showed that is a very high end barrel, Chandler was trained by Boots Obermyer.

Any ballpark ideas on the value of some of the components?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so too is value when it comes to custom firearms. Their worth is often determined by what a prospective buyer is willing to pay.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What caliber do you want? Why not just rebarrel it? If you want to part it out I might be interested in the action.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It would be real nice if we had some good pictures to look at, even with that great description. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. The bolt being jeweled takes away from the originality of the receiver, which is a shame. However, this was built as a "custom" rifle. I've done the same thing with my semi custom 338 win mag. Here's how I'd value the sum of your parts:

Action including bolt, extractor, trigger and action screws:

$800.00

Original bottom metal:
$150.00

Wood stock: Still unclear based on description.....

Mcmillan stock:
$375.00

Barrel:
$150.00 (maybe)

Talley lightweight rings: 2 sets
$35.00 x 2 = $70.00

Unknown base and ring= unknown price until we know what they are....

Williams bottom metal:
$200.00 approx..

I'd value the components and rifle listed above as:

$1,750.00 + given more information on the wood stock and base/rings....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks, that will help me out on Pricing it!

Last edited by wildwyo; 03/24/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No problem. Good luck with it..

BSA MAGA
W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by GSPfan
What caliber do you want? Why not just rebarrel it? If you want to part it out I might be interested in the action.

I have a different build in mind, so I don't think that I will rebarrel it. I am going to try and sell it as is, but if I part it out; I will let you know.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1badf350, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1911a1, 68 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,726
Posts18,514,283
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.