We are GOOD. Thanks for participating.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No one has mentioned disposable latex gloves. Almost no mess when dressing your critter. I carry two forms of fire - matches and lighter. Carry a good reliable compass as we get no cell coverage and often get ten miles from the truck. Also carry large garbage bag for heart and liver, emergency rain coat etc. I carry a lens pen to clean scope and or glasses.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
forpest

Actually I forgot that I have latex gloves in my pack

PLUS a small first aid pack. (both are in the divided pocket inside the main pack. Thnx for reminding me, time to refresh.

Per latex gloves I don't gut/dress my deer in the woods, I'm only 3 mi from my house.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gunswizard
To the above I add a partial roll of TP, chapstick and sunblock, a relief jug, deer scent, scent wicks, pen/pencil and a couple of index cards.

wiz & craig -

"I don't always use chapstick, but when I do it's in my pocket." grin

I keep a lighter in my truck--I'm not far away.

Since I'm only 3 mi. from home I don't keep rain gear in my pack. I wear a BIG leather hat when rain threatens and a coat that's Scotchguard treated.

Y'all have given me an interesting idea. Cell signal/compass.
Tonight I'll be where cell signal is intermittent or non existent. I'll try an experiment to see IF my compass works w/o signal strength.

" I 'THINK' the compass works w/o phone signal"--we'll see.

Thnx, it's good to compare what others use or feel is needed.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall

Scott - Are the cougher & butt out ALL you tote? laugh

Yep - that's it. Oh, and a bandolier. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jerry, I don't use a daypack when hunting whitetails but mule deer are an entirely different ball game.

I might wander 3-5 miles from the pickup in mule deer country so of course a daypack makes sense. I also might be hunting from dark til dark and use the pack to pack out meat so it has to be a somewhat 'substantial' pack.

In no particular order...

lunch/snacks/water bladder

hand wipes/TP

knife/small sharpener

extra ammo(5 rounds)

game bags/medium size garbage bag

spotting scope/tripod

camera/GPS/compass/cell phone/laser rangefinder
(batteries)

survey tape

lens wipes

spare set of contact lenses

depending on the weather extra clothes/rain shell

Seems like a lot of stuff but on a successful hunt I generally use all of it.

[Linked Image]

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Sammy

I DO understand your different territory and your need of a spotting scope, game bags, & pack frame of sorts.

I'd bet you NEED much better boots than I do. And sorta serious, you might need a Satellite phone for emergency. I don't have any idea of cell service in that area.

Thanks Sam, I appreciate it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jerry, decent boots are a must!

Don't care if they are for work or hunting, boots are one item where a guy should not scrimp.

All leather(or rubber) and the fewer seams the better!

It's not really remote(or rugged) country, cell service on the higher hills, no service in the coulees.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Talking about fire, one or two cotton balls, with some vasaline rubbed in, make great fire starters. Even a petroleum based first aid ointment will work, but if you just make a couple in advance and toss them in a pill bottle, it's easier to have them ready

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Josey, that's a neat idea. I don't need it where I'm hunting now. Someone else might need it and I'll file it away for future ref.

***From another use***-- you can put those in an empty film canister for clean storage. I used to carry old film in a canister to clean the seals on motorcycle front forks. A band aide short term fix.

Thanks

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Usually a bottle of water a couple of pcs hard candy or cough drops, my knife 4-5 ft of paracord a extra pair of gloves and watch cap 5-6 paper towels a payday bar or pkg of fig newtons and if it is cold I have a pair of soft nylon wind pants that I roll up and carry there along with a couple of the hand warmer packs. My pack is just more of a shoulder bag not a two strap pack and doesn't weigh more than a couple of lbs. a lot of times in warmer weather I can get all my stuff in my vest pockets. And don't bother with the pack.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Josey, that's a neat idea. I don't need it where I'm hunting now. Someone else might need it and I'll file it away for future ref.

***From another use***-- you can put those in an empty film canister for clean storage. I used to carry old film in a canister to clean the seals on motorcycle front forks. A band aide short term fix.

Thanks

Jerry

Film canisters! Yeah, like you can find those anymore! I have a few, but man I wish I had kept more of those. I keep trail marking tacks in one. Using canisters for cotton ball fire starters is ideal, but I just need to find some.

BTW, i tried the cotton ball trick, with a firestarter, by scraping the starter with a knife. Damn if it didn't ignite and hold a nice flame.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joseywales

Thanks

Jerry

Film canisters! Yeah, like you can find those anymore! I have a few, but man I wish I had kept more of those. I keep trail marking tacks in one. Using canisters for cotton ball fire starters is ideal, but I just need to find some.

BTW, i tried the cotton ball trick, with a firestarter, by scraping the starter with a knife. Damn if it didn't ignite and hold a nice flame.
You can buy film canisters on Amazon for under a buck a piece.

Last edited by pointer; 03/23/16.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Josey -

Well just so happens that I have at least a few.

I have coins separated in several plus I have some in my motorcycle acc. storage bin. YES, it's been a while since I bought any film. Things change DON'T they. grin.

I 'suspect' there are other small containers that will work but haven't given them any thot.

And I don't know why anyone would need a lot of them?? You mentioned medicine bottles (plastic) so that's at least one alternative.

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
He all, ha, yes I do have done with coins in them as well.

Pointer, buy canisters? Now that's just crazy talk. Yard sales, thrift shops. I'll find some damn it!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have two packs, a badlands 2200 mainly used for half day hunts or when I'm helping and won't be responsible for the majority of the meat, but helping.

A outdoorsmans optics pack to use when I'm hunting or hunting with my wife or brother (aka meat and rifle packing).

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Cotton balls wasn't the only use we had for film canisters back in the day. Just sayin... whistle

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Cotton balls wasn't the only use we had for film canisters back in the day. Just sayin... whistle

What did y'all do with cotton balls BEFORE film canisters? grin laugh

Uhh, cotton balls...nevermind ! shocked

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
My Experiment ? Compass with or w/o phone signal.

Where I was last night, NORMALLY has no or limited cell signal. Last night it was cloudy and I had better signal there than I've ever noticed.

So, I'll have to try that on a clear day/night. I'm seldom anywhere that doesn't have signal so I'll have to pay attention and check later. I'm very curious.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My day pack varies depending on the season and what I'm hunting.

for general deer hunting I carry: a knife, 1/2 box of ammo, folding saw, water, sandwich, magnesium firestarter, lighter, 6 papertowls folded together, compass, rangefinder, flashlight/headlamp, length of small dia. rope, large contractor garbage bag, small tiedown strap, tag, pen and medical kit.
sounds like a lot, but it's very compact.

optional items - compact poncho, spotting scope, shooting sticks, tree steps, socks, granola bars, calls, MRE, sitting pad, book, GPS, map.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 1,754 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,102
Posts18,522,319
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.