Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Anybody here shoot Flintlock Rifles with PRB??

Haven't taken that leap yet, but I have been shooting a couple caplocks quite a bit. I have my youngsters use the PRB for reduced recoil as they learn how to load and shoot the rifles.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The way I look at it, Jesus gave us the litmus test. The only way to salvation is through grace. If you believe Jesus died on the cross for your sins and you've accepting him as your savior, then little else matters. You are saved by grace, not denomination.

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Romans 10:9-10
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved .

I've known some very spirit-filled Catholics, Mormons, Baptists and non-denoms. I can't look in their hearts, but God can. I think we should all worry about our own salvation, rather than focusing on sending someone else to hell.

That it all.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin

What I don't understand is why a group of folks split off from Christianity, changed all the essential beliefs, created their own religion, now want to be called "Christian"?

Funny, the Pope must have said the same thing when Martin Luther sprang up. Or John Wesley. Or John Calvin. Or John Smyth.

I don't believe in the Book of Mormon. I see no archaeological evidence to support any of the claims in that book. But- if they believe in the Bible, and accept Jesus as Lord and savior, then they are saved by grace.

There are lots of Christian denominations that beleive in a wide and varied theology. But what ties them together is the blood shed on the cross and the resurrection.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I am a mormon and I am a "christian" . I have to ask do you know what the correct name of the mormon church really is? let me educate you. "The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Ladder Day Saints" jesus christ is also in bold all caps and larger font on all the buildings and missionary tags, just like I put it above.

a christian is a follower of christ. by definition mormons are followers of christ. we believe in the bible.

facts seem to be getting in the way of people's opinions around here lately.

You can call a fence post Jesus, worship it, and call yourself Christian. It doesn't make it so.

Amen

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Chris_EOD
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
All that is being stated is that Mormonism and Christianity are not the same religion, because at their doctrinal core they actually believe different methods for salvation.

I'm not sure that they believe in different methods. The methods are the same. It is just that Christians place their faith in the Jesus of the Bible while Mormons place their faith in the Jesus of the Book of Mormon. The objects of faith are different.

But they ain't the same Jesus. One Jesus is God. The other Jesus is a God, separate from the head god. Two completely different beliefs. Different Jesus.

One religion believes in 1 God. The other religion believes in multiple gods. Again, two completely different religions. Monotheism and Polytheism.

How people are saved.. Completely different. Not even in the same ballpark.

Views of heaven and hell.. Completely different.

And, I could go on and on. I have no idea how anybody who actually knows anything about the two could possibly say they are even similar. It is beyond me how Mormons would want to be called "Christian", given how different they made their beliefs.

Your stance is based on a falsehood, it falls apart from there. The Mormons don't believe in 3 gods, it's 1 god. They don't worship Jesus and they don't worship the holy ghost. They do believe they are 3 separate entities though.

The Holy Ghost is part of the Trinity.You have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian.You have to believe Christ is your Savior and confess your Sins to be saved.Mormonism is a Cult.Many Cults claim to be Christian,but are not.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm Mormon but some of my fellow Mormons are naive when it comes to ol Glenn "[bleep] crazy" beck they think he sobered up when he became a member.. They want/like to think the church lead him to sobriety. Unfortunately ol beck been sober for awhile I think 20yrs some [bleep] like that... As far as the other argument [bleep] who knows I go to church when their is no nascar on.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Saying Mormons aren't Christians is likely the nicest thing I've heard anyone say about Mormons!

I'd be flattered if I was a Mormon! grin

Dang! You have figured us out! We are all really bad folks. frown

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Saying Mormons aren't Christians is likely the nicest thing I've heard anyone say about Mormons!

I'd be flattered if I was a Mormon! grin

Happy Easter to such a nice guy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Who's us? Which one is bad?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've been around longer then most of you pups, and even tho I consider myself a Christian, I have many friends of other denominations. I have never had a Jesuit or a Mormon try to screw me! I can't say the same for a Christian.
Sadly, I do find myself thinking that Joseph Smith, and his group of pilgrims, after reading the book of Mormons, had to be chewin' on peyote, as they wondered thru the wilderness.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by Chris_EOD
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
All that is being stated is that Mormonism and Christianity are not the same religion, because at their doctrinal core they actually believe different methods for salvation.

I'm not sure that they believe in different methods. The methods are the same. It is just that Christians place their faith in the Jesus of the Bible while Mormons place their faith in the Jesus of the Book of Mormon. The objects of faith are different.

But they ain't the same Jesus. One Jesus is God. The other Jesus is a God, separate from the head god. Two completely different beliefs. Different Jesus.

One religion believes in 1 God. The other religion believes in multiple gods. Again, two completely different religions. Monotheism and Polytheism.

How people are saved.. Completely different. Not even in the same ballpark.

Views of heaven and hell.. Completely different.

And, I could go on and on. I have no idea how anybody who actually knows anything about the two could possibly say they are even similar. It is beyond me how Mormons would want to be called "Christian", given how different they made their beliefs.

Your stance is based on a falsehood, it falls apart from there. The Mormons don't believe in 3 gods, it's 1 god. They don't worship Jesus and they don't worship the holy ghost. They do believe they are 3 separate entities though.

The Holy Ghost is part of the Trinity.You have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian.You have to believe Christ is your Savior and confess your Sins to be saved.Mormonism is a Cult.Many Cults claim to be Christian,but are not.

The Mormons do believe in them. As I said originally, they don't worship them like they are gods.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
krp,

Christ is inclusive and loves all his brothers and sisters... no matter the label.

Matthew 7:13-20

"'Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

'Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. So then, you will know them by their fruits.'"

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

What I don't understand is why a group of folks split off from Christianity, changed all the essential beliefs, created their own religion, now want to be called "Christian"?

Funny, the Pope must have said the same thing when Martin Luther sprang up. Or John Wesley. Or John Calvin. Or John Smyth.

I don't believe in the Book of Mormon. I see no archaeological evidence to support any of the claims in that book. But- if they believe in the Bible, and accept Jesus as Lord and savior, then they are saved by grace.

There are lots of Christian denominations that beleive in a wide and varied theology. But what ties them together is the blood shed on the cross and the resurrection.

You can't even intellectually make that argument. The Reformation was nothing, absolutely nothing like what Joseph Smith did.

Theology isn't the difference between Mormonism and Christianity. The difference is so huge that it totally defines who God/god is and who Jesus is. It might as well be Christianity/Islam the difference is so huge and significant.

If you like the God and Jesus of Christianity, then become a Christian.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is the big difference between Mormons and Christians.. A lot of times converts will never hear this when the missionaries stop on by..

When Adam and Eve were placed in the garden, Lucifer helped them gain physical bodies by showing them they could be come like God if they ate of the fruit. Mormon's teach that Adam and Eve had to exercise their agency (the ability to choose) whether to avoid the fruit of the forbidden tree and remain in a spirit state, or the command to be fruitful and multiply, something they couldn't do without a physical body. In the Mormon marriage ceremony they are given fig leaf aprons to signify this (becoming flesh) and their first step toward becoming exalted.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I can make that argument. If I believe that Jesus is Lord and Savior, that he died on the cross for my sins and that I am am saved by grace, then Jesus himself said that we shall come to the father through him.

There are parts of the Christian church that have differing beliefs. The Coptics, Gnostics, Greek Orthodox, Anglican, St Thomas Christians, Catholic, Protestant and even Word of Faith.

You look at many protestant denominations today, such as the Methodists, Presbyterians, & Episcopalians that have deviated from the gospel. Is their path to heaven barred?

Jesus sent his disciples across the world, knowing that the church would take different forms in different parts of the world. But ultimately, it comes back to the promise that Jesus fulfilled -- That we are all saved by grace and that we come to the Father through him.

I have no doubt that Christianity today is FAR different than the Church established by Mark, Matthew, Thomas, Peter and the other apostles.

We are all saved by grace. Be glad and rejoice that Christ has risen and waits for us at the right hand of the Father. Happy Easter.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 03/27/16.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Anybody here shoot Flintlock Rifles with PRB??

Not hardly, but I need to.

[Linked Image]

My smoothbore fowler broke a tumbler in the lock at the hog hunt, not hard to replace but I'm hoarding nickels just now for my big summer trip, so it can wait 'till August.

So, the dark Southern Mountain-style Rifle has been filling in at the Alamo. I ain't spent a whole lot range time with it yet though, not enough to work up a load anyhow.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by krp
Traditional cristianism is based on Paul, a forward prophet, fell in the dirt, saw the white light, Jesus appeared before him, he made a worldwide church. Mormonism is based on Smith, a forward prophet, fell and saw the white light, Jesus appeared before him, he made a worldwide church.

My Dad grew up mormon but left the church and we were heavily involved with the semi nondenominational christian church. Central Christian Church was/is the name of our church, we also helped build sister churches in the community starting in school auditoriums and building the physical church itself.

My uncle and cousins are LDS bishops, I was taught in my church how to battle the hypocrisy of mormonism claims to christianity. I had some epic battles with my relatives.

Also was taught how Catholicism was wrong on many levels.. probably nazarenes and all the rest. I met my wife in a Nazarene church... lol

When I was a freshman in HS it was decided I would be groomed for the ministry, the Dr's of our churches wanted to start a seminary class at the HS just like the LDS had. The LDS had a building across the street the had classes in during school hours, so our church leaders asked if they could use the building for one period, and were given the go ahead. Yet many times in that class the instructor who was one of our different ministers on any given day, would disparage the very benefactors of the building we were using. And smug about it.

I was a trial for those that thought I could be brainwashed into the system, I know they think they failed but instead I came to a much better understanding of Christ and the Holy Spirit.

I have been in almost every kind of church there is including LDS and most recent Catholic. They are all pretty much the same... and the truth is you bring God with you.

Christ is inclusive and loves all his brothers and sisters... no matter the label.

Kent
Christianity is based on Jesus Christ and nobody else. This is the God of the Bible, God the Son. God the Son is One with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost. Paul was an inspired man but was NOT the basis for the Christian religion. Jesus is fully God and fully man as well. Christians believe this and the fact that Jesus was sinless but put to death for crimes he didn't commit and rose from the dead. We further believe He is fully able to save us from our sins due to his sacrifice which God the Father accepts for us, enabling us to be with Jesus in eternity after we ourselves are resurrected. Anybody who believes in Jesus receives the gift of faith which is all it takes to escape hell. Paul, no offense to him, was just another believer.
So if the Father,the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all the same person, when Jesus was suffering in the garden why would he pray to himself?

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
montanabadger,

At least one reason would be an example for His later followers. I'm sure there are some here more astute than me who can help even more.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,225
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.