Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bighorn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
A few days ago, my sister passed away, from advanced COPD and emphysema brought on by years of cigarette smoking.

We family members gathered around her for several days, watching her fight for her last breaths, and listening to the awful rattle and gasping that goes along with it.

For all who still smoke- do yourselves, your families and loved ones, a great favor, and for God's sake, give it up. There may still be time- the body can recover from the effects of smoking, if the lungs haven't yet become damaged to a point of no return.

My sister would have been 68 in May. She lost her husband 9 years ago, also from disease related to smoking. The heartache, tragedy, and expense of dying from smoking can be avoided!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Excellent, heartfelt advice sir.

μολὼν λαβέ
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Are the national numbers decreasing? I do not see many people that smoke any more. It sure is nice!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About the time my mom left us last month, we got the news that our dad was diagnosed with, in his words, "a little bit of emphysema". There's not a chance in heck that he's going to quit. Both he and his second wife smoke like chimneys.

It really sucks knowing that you're guaranteed to be parentless within the next few years.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to hear about your sister. Smoking killed my dad and my mother has advanced COPD and is on oxygen 24x7. I HATE cigarettes.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Preaching to the choir here. I sat there helplessly watching my dad literally gasping like a fish out of water after only walking across the kitchen floor.

His passing was almost a relief at that point.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Preaching to the choir here. I sat there helplessly watching my dad literally gasping like a fish out of water after only walking across the kitchen floor.

His passing was almost a relief at that point.

Same here, in 1992. After 30 years of two packs of L&Ms a day, he died and the last few years were no picnic.
However, I have given up on ragging people about it. If they want to kill themselves, its their life.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It will be six years on May 10th that I quit smoking. Wasn't easy but not quite as hard as I thought it would be. I even dream about smoking sometimes and second hand smoke smells good at times. But, I'm damn glad I quit and don't plan on ever starting again. Not that I could afford it!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My oldest sonsmoked. Stage 4 lu g cancer has spread to liver, colon, sansplean.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I quit in 1985.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2 years smoke free, and glad of it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
2 years smoke free, and glad of it.

GFY - And I mean good for you!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My Dad thew his cigarettes in the trash and quit cold turkey the day the Surgeon General's report came out in the 60's. He lived to be 89 and showed no effects of having been a smoker. My Mother dropped dead of a massive heart attack at age 50, she had just smoked a couple of cigarettes on her coffee break at work. Her sister got throat cancer at age 52 and underwent surgery and radiation, it looked as though she had beaten the cancer. In her early 80's the cancer returned this time she lost her bladder and had a urinostomy. She lost all quality of life after that, her final two years were really miserable. The wife's Mother was diagnosed with lung cancer at age 50 the month after she retired, the cancer spread rapidly to her brain. Her feet became necrotic, essentially dead black in appearance. She live a little more than 2 months during which time the cancer formed two hideous masses trying to grow out of her body. No one I know that smoked cheated cancer and a hideous death. What I find the stupidest of all is the offspring of these people continue to smoke after having witnesses these hideous deaths believing it can't happen to them. Long before any of this happened I chose not to ever start smoking though many peers got hooked by cigarettes and nicotene thinking it was the coolest thing to do.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
November 30, 1997; 11:30am after dragging a deer out.

Don't miss it...not even a little bit.

Sorry for your loss Bighorn.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gal I considered getting married to back in 1990... but she was a smoker and I wouldn't put up with it and she wouldn't stop.. so I walked away... which shocked and made her mad..

really outgoing attractive gal...

read her obit back in 2014 passing away from lung cancer.. she started smoking at 14....

I can proudly say, I've never had a puff from one cigarette in my lifetime...never could understand why people started...

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
Gal I considered getting married to back in 1990... but she was a smoker and I wouldn't put up with it and she wouldn't stop.. so I walked away... which shocked and made her mad..

really outgoing attractive gal...

read her obit back in 2014 passing away from lung cancer.. she started smoking at 14....

I can proudly say, I've never had a puff from one cigarette in my lifetime...never could understand why people started...

Exactly....I don't see how any sane person could put that crap in their body. My dad laid em down cold turkey in the 60's, my mom was like some of the emphysema stories previously posted. Shaking my head....

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For those who have seen success in quitting the smoking addiction / habit my most sincere congratulations. For those who wish to be left alone to do be free to do as they please. Please see it this way The addiction owns you as long as you choose not to fight the difficult battle to give up the addiction.

I know it is not easy, Though it is worth it! Plenty of good reasons offered above to kick the habit and a list as long as the Nile not mentined.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
21yrs since i quit cigarettes. i will puff on a cigar once in a while when with friends.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
21yrs since i quit cigarettes.

24 years for me. Both of my wife's parents died from lung cancer, and both smoked as does my wife. She will not even talk to you about quitting. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
I quit in 1985.

so did i.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 74 invisible), 3,301 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,433
Posts18,528,595
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.