Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I went to the pharmacy today to pick up some meds. The technician says hello Garry and then later asked my birthday. She said she remembered my name but not my birthday (jokingly). I gave it to her and then said, " Don't trouble yourself, cash is a perfectly acceptable gift."

She said, " Wouldn't like something nice?" to which I replied, "Yeah, but you'd have to go to a gun shop for that and I'm pretty picky."

That lead into her commenting of people with CHL's stepping up to defend others. I made this statement, "If someone is in peril of life by someone else, especially a woman, it is my duty as a Christian and as a man to defend that woman if I have the means. If I don't do that then that woman's blood is on me and I have sinned."

She seemed astounded that I would say that. That causes me to reflect on what we as men have become. In days past a woman would expect a man to come to her aid. Is that really lost?

Many Christians would not agree with that, too many in my opinion. Yet I reflect on James 4:17 Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Simply to say that God puts in your heart personally what is right and wrong. To do wrong, even by failing to act, in contrast to what God put in your heart, is a sin.

Last edited by Armednfree; 04/02/16.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
James 1:27 says: Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. NKJV

I think the concept here is to help those who cannot help their selves. So I am with you. We help and protect the weak.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Agreed

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The principle there seems to extend well beyond protection of a woman in peril. Maybe it always has been so, but I know of women who would consider it beneath them to accept such help/protection from a man - any man - even a Christian.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
The principle there seems to extend well beyond protection of a woman in peril. Maybe it always has been so, but I know of women who would consider it beneath them to accept such help/protection from a man - any man - even a Christian.
Met more than a few of those during a one-semester "sabbatical" at the University of Wisconsin back in the 1970s. Kind of a shock to a polite, southern boy! smile

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I totally agree with you.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Catholic here ... totally, absolutely agree with you.

BUT, faith or no faith, that's just what a man is and it's what a man does.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was taught you always stuck up for Women,Children the Old And the weak.It had nothing to do with Religion.I would do it even if I was not armed.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You don't need religion to tell you to defend the defenseless. That's just what decent men do.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Catholic here ... totally, absolutely agree with you.

BUT, faith or no faith, that's just what a man is and it's what a man does.

Blessings,

Steve

Well said friend Steve.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A fundamental of Christianity is to help those in need. Age and gender is irreverent. This is a mission in which we bust our azzes but there is much more to do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Resist evil. Hopefully it flees from you. If not, shoot it several times.

LOL
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't think this has as much to do with religion, as it does with basic human decency, although I understand what you are saying, and do not disagree with the concept. Read any older western story, and the common denominator then was people as a whole did not allow women and children to be abused in any way, that was simply a code to live by. Mankind has strayed a long way in a few years, but all of life, including his history, will often circle back.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by WyoJoe
I think the concept here is to help those who cannot help their selves. So I am with you. We help and protect the weak.

Well, yes ... maybe.

My greatest and highest responsibility is to my wife if I have one and kids if I have them.

Where does the risk I place them in, risk of losing their father / husband / provider by losing either my life or my freedom to prison, or risk losing the roof I put over their heads to a jury award by standing up for someone else besides them?

You may be right but I think it is irresponsible not to think of my ability to meet my existing obligations before taking on a new one. Does this come into your thinking as well? Your wife might want to know where she fits in your priorities, whether you even think of her at all before acting precipitously for others.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my wife would be pi$$ed if I didn't step up to defend someone in need...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toad

Mine too! Life is not so precious that I could live being a coward. Fact is, every day I go to work there is that risk I might not come home. I have left work on my back several times.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Well, yes ... maybe.

My greatest and highest responsibility is to my wife if I have one and kids if I have them.

Where does the risk I place them in, risk of losing their father / husband / provider by losing either my life or my freedom to prison, or risk losing the roof I put over their heads to a jury award by standing up for someone else besides them?

You may be right but I think it is irresponsible not to think of my ability to meet my existing obligations before taking on a new one. Does this come into your thinking as well? Your wife might want to know where she fits in your priorities, whether you even think of her at all before acting precipitously for others.

Tom

Back to the Christian concept, You serve God, not man, and He will provide for His faithful. God is in control of all in this world. That's a tuff and some times hard TRUTH to remember.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by toad

Mine too! Life is not so precious that I could live being a coward. Fact is, every day I go to work there is that risk I might not come home. I have left work on my back several times.

Compelling

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Well, yes ... maybe.

Tom

Back to the Christian concept, You serve God, not man, and He will provide for His faithful. God is in control of all in this world. That's a tuff and some times hard TRUTH to remember.

God ain't never made a mortgage payment for me. How about you?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1234, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,014
Posts18,481,586
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.