-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing will piss off a smoker like a non-smoker preaching to them to quit as if it's as easy as giving up a morning donut. The words GFY come immediately start dancing in your head. Second worse is a former smoker bragging how easy it was for them to quit. You start to feel your palm quiver as it forms into a fist looking for a target.

I know everyone means well but simple sound bites aren't going to help anyone hooked hard. I easily gave up drinking because alcohol didn't get a hold of me like it has millions who have a terrible time breaking free. And I know better than to tell anyone who might be under it's grasp how easy it was for me. All that does is piss people off.

What I will do is offer a solution that might help some who are having an extremely hard time getting off the cigs. I'm sure by now many of you smokers have heard of e-cigs or electronic cigarettes. It's basically vegetable oil mixed with nicotine. You still get the same nic hit as you would a cig but the draw is a bit different. There is no smoke and no carcinogens. You exhale water vapor. It's harmful to no one. The long term affects of ecig use still hasn't been determined so keep that in mind but you will incredibly different right away. No more hacking, gasping for air or waking up in the middle of the night choking for air. You will feel basically like you would if you quit cold turkey but you will not have the panic attacks or irritation.

For anyone willing to give it a shot, this is a fail safe setup that's easy to use and reliable.

Battery

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Eleaf-iStick-40W-TC-Kit-p/elis-is4060.htm

Tank(where you put the e-liquid)- screws into battery

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Eigate-Aspire-Nautilus-Mini-2ml-p/ap-mna-k.htm

Buy 5 extra atomizers. These easy to screw in parts are what turn the e-liquid into vapor) Replace every 2 weeks. Simple to do. I suggest putting 2 or 3 drops of e-liquid down the mouthpiece every time you change the atomizer. Will keep it from tasting burnt.

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Atomizer-head-for-Aspire-Nautilus-BVC-V2-p/ap-na-2ah.htm

Then all you need is the liquid. I'd suggest a 50 ml to start. Should last a week. Start with 18 mg nicotine.

I prefer this one but choose your own.

http://www.myvaporstore.com/eLiquid-RY4-p/liq-ry4.htm

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On why people start smoking: Because up through the 70's into the 80's everybody smoked. Not literally everybody, but it was commonplace. My parents never smoked but would put out ashtrays in the house for guests who did. All restaurants had ashtrays at every table. Theaters had a "smoking loge" which was just a section of seats across the aisle, planes had smoking sections which was just the back half of the plane. There were no "No smoking" areas at work, I smoked at my desk up until the late 80's. Movie and TV stars smoked, celebrities would come out on talk shows and smoke through the whole interview - heck, Sheriff Andy Taylor smoked. Only athletes who needed their wind were really prohibited from smoking, and a lot of them still did anyway.

There was no stigma about it and teenagers saw it as the fast doorway to looking and acting like an adult.

On quitting: I guess everybody is different and I've learned not to doubt what others can do just because I can't but I have to wonder at or admire those who say they just put it down and never looked back. I smoked for 23 years and quit 13 times, usually only lasted 2-3 days but once for 6 months. But like alcoholics, take that first cigarette again and you're off the wagon real fast. I finally quit for good in 1991. You can overcome the nicotine addiction in a few days but the habit remains far after that, as least it did for me. For well over two years after quitting any time I was in a situation where I used to smoke I'd find myself reaching for a cigarette - coming out of a theater, getting in my truck, whenever.

I'm glad folks nowadays realize how damaging it really is but being a libertarian I figure folks should be able to do what they want. As long as I don't have to breathe the smoke - which I can't stand the smell of any more - they can puff away until they slowly choke and die gasping for breath over the course of months and months. It's their life and their choice.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My dad smoked Pall Malls for 35 years. Diagnosed with heart disease at 59. He was told he had a 20% (and increasing by 20%) chance of having a fatal heart attack each year to 5 years, when he would most certainly be guaranteed to have one that would kill him.

He quit cold turkey, moved to a different climate, and lived to be 81. But, he did die of pancreatic cancer.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn
A few days ago, my sister passed away, from advanced COPD and emphysema brought on by years of cigarette smoking.

We family members gathered around her for several days, watching her fight for her last breaths, and listening to the awful rattle and gasping that goes along with it.

For all who still smoke- do yourselves, your families and loved ones, a great favor, and for God's sake, give it up. There may still be time- the body can recover from the effects of smoking, if the lungs haven't yet become damaged to a point of no return.

My sister would have been 68 in May. She lost her husband 9 years ago, also from disease related to smoking. The heartache, tragedy, and expense of dying from smoking can be avoided!

Yep.

Add smokeless into there. Cancer of the mouth, esophagus, and stomach from that stuff ain't a pretty way to go.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
Gal I considered getting married to back in 1990... but she was a smoker and I wouldn't put up with it and she wouldn't stop.. so I walked away... which shocked and made her mad..

really outgoing attractive gal...

read her obit back in 2014 passing away from lung cancer.. she started smoking at 14....

I can proudly say, I've never had a puff from one cigarette in my lifetime...never could understand why people started...

My HS sweetheart died from brain tumors that metastasized from lung cancer when she was 42. She started smoking when she was 15 as a way to rebel against her controlling father. I tried to get her to quit, but she really liked those Salem 100s. I don't bother encouraging people to quit smoking, 'cause like any other addiction, the addict has got to want to quit or it won't work. I do encourage smokers who can't, or don't want to, quit to smoke an Altria Group brands.

Speaking of Altria Group, their web site has this on it:

​Philip Morris USA agrees with the overwhelming medical and scientific consensus that cigarette smoking causes lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema and other serious diseases in smokers. Smokers are far more likely to develop such serious diseases than non-smokers.​

These have been, and continue to be, the messages of the U.S. Surgeon General and public health authorities worldwide. Smokers and potential smokers should be guided by these messages when deciding whether or not to smoke.​

You can obtain more information directly from these public health organizations about cigarette smoking and disease in smokers: International Agency for Research on Cancer, the World Health Organization, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Cancer Society, and the U.S. Surgeon General.​

Our Support of a Consistent Public Health Message​
We support a single, consistent public health message on the role of cigarette smoking in the development of disease in smokers, and on smoking and addiction.​

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any reason anyone can think of why the all powerful govt has chosen gun control as it's #1 agenda over cigarette control?

Anyone?

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was up to a 4 1/2 pack a day habit and just quit. Gave away nine packs in a carton and my lighter that day. Never smokes another cigarette. Now, 38 years later I enjoy a good cigar when in the mood but starting up cigars at 66 will probably not kill me.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
With all of the knowledge out there I find it hard to believe that anyone still smokes...You would have to be a serious dumb Arss to take up that filthy habit.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My mom is 69, now has advanced copd, is supposed to be on o2, and refuses. Still smoking...she was out of breath simply cooking easter dinner. She also has heart disease now too.

One of my best friends was recently diagnosed with small cell lung cancer. Cigs got him too...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My father and another family member died of smoking, emphysema got both of them. Ugly to watch, takes about 10 years of pain, progressively getting more and more winded, coughing and hacking at the slightest exertion. Both smoked Bull Durham and Camels, not that it matters.

I quit 30 years ago, hardest thing I think I ever had to do, took every ounce of willpower I could summon up over a period of about 6 months. Cant stand to even get a whiff of it now.

Even now, I wish I could go back to freshman year in High School, find the little punk who thought it would be cool to smoke like the big boys and kick his azz real good. eek

Last edited by jnyork; 03/31/16.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
I quit in 1985.

so did i.

Same here. Oct. 15, 1985.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Any reason anyone can think of why the all powerful govt has chosen gun control as it's #1 agenda over cigarette control?

Anyone?

That's simple the taxes on cigarettes are astronomical and every one that works and smokes pays a pile of taxes and then dies before collecting any government benefits such as social security.

And if you were a lying, cheating, stealing politician would you like your constituents to have guns?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Big tobacco's genetic manipulation of tobacco to increase nicotine content thus making cigarette smoking more addictive along with propagating the myth that second hand smoke was harmless are two of the biggest crimes commited by the tobacco industry. As regards the second hand smoke I've had two acquaintances die of throat cancer. Both were non-smokers but grew up in households with smokers. My step mother thought she had beaten epiglotal cancer but succumbed to bladder cancer may years later. Think about that for a minute, all the toxins contained in cigarette smoke have to exit the body therefor setting the stage for bladder cancer. If you think a colostomy bag is bad, a urinostomy bag leaks urine and quality of life is pretty much gone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

All insurance will cover Chantix now. It works for many.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My mother is slowly dying from emphysema/COPD, is on Oxygen 24/7 and has zero quality of life. I hope the 40 years of smoking Pall Malls were worth it. I get to see her a few times a year and each time I'm filled with a mix of sympathy, pity and anger knowing she did this to herself. My dad has resorted to being a closet smoker and invents ridiculous reasons to get out of the house so he can light up. If watching your wife of 50+ years die a little more every day can't convince you to quit then it must be one bad SOB of a habit! I kind of think he's just trying to catch up to her declined state of health so he won't have to be alone so long after she passes.

The whole thing is just sad and seems so avoidable. I often wonder when all the second hand smoke from 20 yrs under their roof and in the backseat of the car is going to manifest itself in me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
2 years smoke free, and glad of it.

GFY - And I mean good for you!

LOL

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My MIL also smoked Pall Malls for years, so addicted was she that she kept cigarettes and a lighter at her bedside. Upon opening her eyes in the morning the first thing she did was light up a cigarette. Many times she would forget she had a cigarette in an ashtray in one room and would light up and have more than one cigarette going at a time. Needless to say many times she lit one cigarette off another. Can't say how many packs she went through in a day. Later on she switched to Marlboro Lights, you opened the front door of her house and the stench was so overwhelming it nearly knocked you down. When I got home from visiting her the first thing I did was change my clothes they reeked of cigarette smoke that bad. Before being diagnosed with lung cancer her breathing had become so labored that she needed to have special steps half the height of normal steps made in order to allow her access to her house. Climbing steps made her puff and wheese that bad yet she continued to smoke. Even though I saw her demise close up I can't tell to this day if the addiction was physical, psychological or both.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I quit 27 years ago TODAY!

Not an April fool's joke.

I realized it about 4 days later. There were times I would have used that as an excuse to start again.

I'm certainly glad I didn't

The secret for me (My old man quit his cigars this way also)

Don't Smoke the first one! Ever.

Good luck to anyone trying to quit.

Condolences to all those who have lost loved ones.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
I can proudly say, I've never had a puff from one cigarette in my lifetime...never could understand why people started...

I can also proudly say it, Seafire...

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
As a kid one of my chores was emptying the trash, last thing before I took the trash out all the ash trays got emptied into the trash can. When I dumped the trash into the garbage cans all the ashes and stink from the butts swirled up into my face. Reason enough for me not to ever want to start smoking cigarettes.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,415
Posts18,528,222
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.