Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Sounds like your sleds are really .... HOT.....

Yes they are.........as kindling..... cry

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by stevelyn
They've recruited quit a few L48ers and they bring their DSMF attitudes up with them.

Yup. The biggest problem is, they can't get enough qualified applicants from within state, so they have to go Outside.

Then, add in the training that emphasizes "Us vs. Them" and you have a recipe for lack of respect. On both sides.

It ain't the same outfit I worked for back in the 80's, that's for sure!

Ed

I didn't realize you worked for AST. I thought you were APD only.

My whole career has been in rural departments starting in the VPSO program. I hardly recognize them anymore either.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
It has pretty much become universal procedure everywhere to "Identify everyone" before conducting any further conversation of any kind period.

Unfortunately this policy may actually be preventing some very serious crimes from being reported.

Some guys are just wound up too tight especially newer or just younger ones in general. Sometimes they get excited about "results" and dive in too fast without a plan or an objective and get a little spun in the process. I know. I still have to reel them in on occasion. It takes some years of experience to settle down a little.

The ID thing doesn't necessarily have to be approached immediately, you can have the conversation starting with just a name and informal conversation to break the ice, feel the person out a little and get them comfortable with talking to you. You can break into the ID/drivers license request a little further on.

Z
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It has pretty much become universal procedure everywhere to "Identify everyone" before conducting any further conversation of any kind period.

Unfortunately this policy may actually be preventing some very serious crimes from being reported.

Some guys are just wound up too tight especially newer or just younger ones in general. Sometimes they get excited about "results" and dive in too fast without a plan or an objective and get a little spun in the process. I know. I still have to reel them in on occasion. It takes some years of experience to settle down a little.

The ID thing doesn't necessarily have to be approached immediately, you can have the conversation starting with just a name and informal conversation to break the ice, feel the person out a little and get them comfortable with talking to you. You can break into the ID/drivers license request a little further on.

Thank you for the open and honest dialog about this practice. I understand the lack of patience and "tact" you speak of when it comes to new Officers but I am still curious about why presentation of ID was even necessary in the situation presented by the OP here?

As I understand it probable cause of a possible crime being committed or the need to file additional official paperwork would be the only legal justifications for an ID request or detainment even at the Department front counter. I ask this because when ID was requested and taken away to the back he was actually being "detained" by legal definition. Right?

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 04/07/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thank you for the open and honest dialog about this practice. I understand the lack of patience and "tact" you speak of when it comes to new Officers but I am still curious about why presentation of ID was even necessary in the situation presented by the OP here?

As I understand it probable cause of a possible crime being committed or the need to file additional official paperwork would be the only legal justifications for an ID request or detainment even at the Department front counter. I ask this because when ID was requested and taken away to the back he was actually being "detained" by legal definition. Right?

It's hard to say. We all (mostly) go to the same academy, but the Trooper recruits have an additional department specific 4 weeks they attend. Some of this has to do with their policies.

I also know that just about all their encounters with the public are at least documented through dispatch to account for a public contact and their time. ID request could either be to have a name to go with the public contact or they could have run the OP just to make sure there no wants or warrants.

Z
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, no one ever called me a quick study, but I do learn. If my value as a citizen is largely a data point, I will keep that in mind in avoiding future interactions. I have no interest in helping another eager ladder-climber earn a merit badge at my expense. Nothing positive comes of it.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only had positive encounters with the AST. But then again, the only officer I have had an encounter is also a family friend. He's also the local fish & game cop for the island he lives on.

His office is an old Piper Super Cub with floats. Great guy with real world common sense.

Thanks for being my friend Stan S.

Last edited by Owl; 04/12/16.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Well, no one ever called me a quick study, but I do learn. If my value as a citizen is largely a data point, I will keep that in mind in avoiding future interactions. I have no interest in helping another eager ladder-climber earn a merit badge at my expense. Nothing positive comes of it.

Could one say, if you want my ID you can't have it in case its self incriminating? LOL.

Generally speaking I still feel that about 80% of LEO are really just normal great folks in our area. I can't comment about other areas and wonder about big cities... but as noted I met two of the best nice folks from APD around 3AM some years ago... I"d have had ZERO issues with a ticket either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ID request could either be to have a name to go with the public contact or they could have run the OP just to make sure there no wants or warrants.

This.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Unfortunately, the value of all of us as citizens isn't much more than a data point. Look at how many census' are taken in between the Constitutionally stipulated 10 year census'.

The bigger govt gets, the less value you are as an individual.

A good example is about three years ago DPS approved changes to the traffic accident report forms every agency in AK uses to document motor vehicle accidents.

The old 12-208 form was actually pretty simple. It had a series of boxes around the border of the form and it took a few minutes using a code key to write in the codes in the boxes then you could get down to the nuts and bolts of vehicles, drivers, seating positions and the narrative of the event itself. Add in few photos, recorded interviews and a diagram of the scene and you were pretty much done.

With the new form, you can spend HOURS entering in the statistical codes before ever entering one word about the chain of events themselves.

Believe me, those burdensome forms aren't dragged out unless there is absolutely no way to avoid doing so, which usually means a fatality or a serious injury at the very least.

It's all about the (formerly)Almighty Greenback Dolla.

Z
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 338rcm, 7mm_Loco, 6mmbrfan, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,367 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,949
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.