Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
The answer is "GET A JOB".If your degree does not lead you to a job"YOU GOT FUGGED".College is not always the answer to a good paying job.There are plenty of good paying Trade jobs available and going unapplied for.

Hear hear. I keep saying that my career as a software developer could have started seven years earlier if I had gotten a job straight out of high school. I would have been making money instead of spending money for those years, and I would have learned useful industry skills much sooner. I've been a pro now for 32 years, and I've still only ever used one thing I learned in college.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used my college degree a lot. I majored in agriculture and my last 15 years of working were with a seed company where I put my knowledge of genetics to good use.
I had an advantage, though. The Univ of Idaho is one of the top agricultural schools in the nation but it's still a state school so the prices were quite low (at least they were then). I came out with almost no debt.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
35 years ago, computer training was vastly different than now - that was pre 1996 when the IT revolution in the business workplace exploded and if you could say computer you got a job

Every 5 -7 years whatever you learned in college in that field is basically obsolete and you'll need to teach yourself new technology at the workplace.

I told my son that college is probably alot like the non wartime Military - you have to prove you can fight thru the bullshit and at the end of the day reach the goals set for you

Its not so much what you've learned (although Co-op/internships have changed that landscape dramatically) but that you were able to work within a system for 4 or 5 years to earn the degree

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to the University of Wyoming and came out with $12,000 in debt. Whacked that out in a few years.

We're having talks with our son, who may want to become a teacher like his mom. Expensive private schools won't be an option unless he gets huge scholarships. We're advising him to go to the best school where his bottom line cost (cash + loans) is equitable with his likely post-grad income.

I won't help him get into $50k in debt if he's going to be a teacher.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Most personal bankruptcies are nothing more than legalized theft. The person spends more than they make, called irresponsibility, and then steals what they owe through the court.

Donald Trump would disagree with you.......

Not only is RC's statement about as a broad a brush stroke as possible (with as little fact as possible; not saying he's completely wrong, just mostly), but it also shows absolutely no understanding of the different kinds of bankruptcies.

Trump's, btw, were business bankruptcies under Chapter 11 restructuring (i.e., the assets were secured and he personally backed the debts) vs Chapter 7 liquidation.

But, don't let any facts get in the way of this.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Facing this myself. My daughter was just accepted into Duke's fast track nursing school. $91,000 for a 14 month program. Totally insane.

She will be applying elsewhere.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Facing this myself. My daughter was just accepted into Duke's fast track nursing school. $91,000 for a 14 month program. Totally insane.

She will be applying elsewhere.

Dayum eek

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
$91,000 for a 14 month program. Totally insane.

which is likely why she was accepted, if you know what I mean,

My branic Son is in the middle of picking a college right now, it's hard to understand these prices until your staring at the numbers on paper.

An average out of state school he was accepted at, in Ohio, at 64,000 a year.

Seriously?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Too many people here are totally missing the point.

Student loans are to reward those that promote the communist philosophies. They aren't there to teach, they are there to propogandize. Democrats have promoted this. It has two goals. One to keep open the colleges who do the best jobs at promoting their communist, feminization of males, racist agenda driven programs.

Then when students are in debt up to their eye balls with no way out, they become MORE dependent on government and not LESS dependent. It's about control.

A president with any balls would do the same thing Governor Perry did in Texas. Have colleges come up with $10.000 degree programs. Far less debt, and the classes they cut out are the ones that carry the most propoganda.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/sta...says-13-texas-universities-have-announc/

Anyone who thinks this is just an accident has no idea of how committed demo craps are to the communist agenda. They are willing to take the time to destroy us from within. Where have I heard that before (Nikita Kruzchev)

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Kenneth
My branic Son is in the middle of picking a college right now, it's hard to understand these prices until your staring at the numbers on paper.

An average out of state school he was accepted at, in Ohio, at 64,000 a year.

Seriously?

If you mean "brainiac" what major is he considering?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bio-science.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks. That subject area is outside of my experience so I can't offer any suggestions.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
College prices have gotten so obnoxious I'm surprised that somebody hasn't came up with a viable alternative at a fraction of the cost.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Bristoe
College prices have gotten so obnoxious I'm surprised that somebody hasn't came up with a viable alternative at a fraction of the cost.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/sta...says-13-texas-universities-have-announc/

It can be done. All it takes is leadership.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Your link ends with the words "Mostly False." And many of the degrees listed were "organizational behavior" and/or "interdisciplinary studies." There were a few science and technology programs listed but they were in the minority.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the for-profit programs (often named "____ College" or University of ____".) They are not regionally accredited (meaning their credits won't transfer to other colleges or universities,) they often use pretty unscrupulous marketing, and they are typically quite expensive. Basically, they are the interest-only mortgages of the post-secondary education world. These are the schools that now have to include statements about average debt, graduation rates and job-placement in their ads. These schools just used their students as a way to funnel in the government money. I'd venture to guess that much of the student loan debt was incurred by their students. Some of the "trade schools" that many of you have mentioned are of this type. Students (and they are distinct from customers) must be very aware of the agreements they enter into, and the potential consequences.

Last edited by Pointbock; 04/05/16. Reason: a misspelling

Support your local brewer.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by add
That young woman either went to the wrong school or had the wrong family around her growing up to even ask the question.

Nope she went to a Sanders rally.

And I'm not talking about a KFC job fair.

The Col... er... Senator... has been touting this student debt relief non-sense all over for his entire campaign.

That's how you get these kids who are living in their parents' basements until they're 30; you promise to out Santa Santa.

And with their "education" which doesn't teach them how to think, they fall for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The real problem is related to the bottomless pot of gold that guaranteed student loans have created for the University system.

Universities have always been an ivory tower, but in the last year I happened to sit through a presentation of the local Universities president on the school's short and long term goals and ambitions. It was full of "alliances with other schools", "world class research", "increasing publications in top tier journals".

Yesterday I sat through a presentation of the local economic development board. It was full of "cooperation with the University's School of Technology (i.e. community college department of the U) welding programs", "expansion of the School of Technology offerings", "fast track programs in the School of Technology to train for local employers". Didn't mention journal publications, research alliances much, for sure.

Disconnect, much?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (358WCF, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 29aholic, 12 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,207
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.