Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Hi,
Maybe this will help someone out there. I have a Ft. Knox Titan with the S&G Electronic lock. I've had it for 15 years WITH NO PROBLEM UNTIL 2 DAYS AGO!. Getting the code to release the bolts became balky. It was working about 50% of the time. The company said to put pressure counterclockwise (as if closing it) and try that. Well, I tried that with them on the phone and it didn't work, tried again and it opened. I said I would try that from now on. BIG MISTAKE. I should have never closed the door cause for 2 days now I've been trying all their tricks and suggestions to get it open . IMO, never get an electronic lock and if you have one, switch it out NOW for a traditional tumbler lock. My .02

ps. if you doubt what I've said, do a search on Gun safe electronic lock problems and make your own decision. YMMV

Last edited by twinray; 04/06/16.

Walk slow, get down, hurry up and be quiet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Assuming that you want help, folks will probably want more information about what - exactly - the problem might be.

First suggestion would be to call the company or companies involved.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we are to assume the electronic lock is messed up?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Yeah, sorry, I hit enter before I finished the post. It is now done.

I've talked to the company and went thru all their suggestions to no avail. I think maybe a (the) pin that the solonoid activates has become dislodged or something. They will send someone out but I want to try again today before that happens. Drilling will be the last resort. Thanks

Last edited by twinray; 04/05/16.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nearly all locksmiths will tell you that its not a matter of "if" an electronic lock will fail but when. I'll never own a safe with an e-lock.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jaytee
Nearly all locksmiths will tell you that its not a matter of "if" an electronic lock will fail but when. I'll never own a safe with an e-lock.

Yep.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Silly question, I know, but are you sure you have a good battery in that lock? I change mine about every 3-4 years and so far (20+ years) no problems..

But my other safe is a manual lock, just in case.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Silly question, I know, but are you sure you have a good battery in that lock? I change mine about every 3-4 years and so far (20+ years) no problems..

But my other safe is a manual lock, just in case.. smile

The batteries that initially were in it were 6 months old. Replaced them and it still didn't unlock. Even tried a new second set. All Durasils . Thanks

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Gotcha..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Never heard of a problem with them before, but I've always thought it's the kind of thing I want no part of...this just confirmed it. I'll stick to the old turn-the-dial style.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is sit actually possible to purchase a mechanical replacement for the electric entry?

Cannon told me 'NO'.

She did say that a lot of people requested them, but still 'NO'

Last edited by muffin; 04/06/16.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by cra1948
Never heard of a problem with them before, but I've always thought it's the kind of thing I want no part of...this just confirmed it. I'll stick to the old turn-the-dial style.

I never heard of problems either - that is until I had had mine. Then I find out about horror stories. When this gets opened, it'll be a combo lock that will be put on. I will use the electronic dial on this one as target practice.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Electronic locks - a bad solution to a nonexistent problem..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by muffin
Is sit actually possible to purchase a mechanical replacement for the electric entry?

Cannon told me 'NO'.

She did say that a lot of people requested them, but still 'NO'

If I have no success today, I will call Ft Knox about my next step. I will ask them to send out another keypad FWIW. Then about retrofit when it opens. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TR, you're not the first fire member to have trouble with an electronic lock on a gun safe. So dont beat yourself up, too bad.

Hope you get it open, without having to mess up the safe.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Oldman03
TR, you're not the first fire member to have trouble with an electronic lock on a gun safe. So dont beat yourself up, too bad.

Hope you get it open, without having to mess up the safe.

Thanks,

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

All electronic stuff fails. It's just a matter of when. I would never use one on my vaults.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Electronic locks - a bad solution to a nonexistent problem..

My safe came with both electronic & tumbler. I see the electronic lock inside on the shelf every time I open mine.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Same here.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Twinray: My safes locks are all manual tumbler types.
I have a close friend who is a 1,000 yard Bench Rest competitor.
The day before he was to begin travel to a distant match his electronic safe would NOT open.
Luckily it was a Thursday. He literally was on the phone all afternoon and ALL NIGHT with the safe company.
Luckily they somehow got it to work (re-programed the combination IIRC?) anyway he was able to get his 1,000 yard BR Rifle out of the safe finally and get on his sleepy way to the competition.
This was the second "problem" one of my friends has had with their electronic locking safes.
I have had one of my mechanical tumbler locking safes for 30+ years and never had any problems with any of them.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1lesfox, 1234, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,518
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.