Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Electronic locks - a bad solution to a nonexistent problem..

My safe came with both electronic & tumbler. I see the electronic lock inside on the shelf every time I open mine.

You Sir, are a very smart man!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had exactly the same problem with mine as the OP. Replaced it with S&G manual lock, by local locksmith, cost me over 100 bucks but worth it IMHO.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The electronic lock safes I am looking at currently have a large key, also. Take off the electronic lock and use a key if the electronics fail.

I think I'll get an old dial and tumbler type. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Ft Knox said I can replace with a tumbler lock - which I plan to do.

Walk slow, get down, hurry up and be quiet.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was a Navy locksmith full time for my last two years of active duty then worked as a locksmith for around another seven years. I have installed, repaired, and opened a lot more safes than I can remember. I am a graduate of Lockmasters school of safe manipulation. I have even opened a safe under water in a sunken boat. I know a little about safes.

I would never have an electronic lock on a safe. In my mind the are a problem waiting to happen. They are not secure, cracking instructions were on Youtube at one time, maybe still are.

Just my opinion but I do know a little about the subject.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by twinray
Ft Knox said I can replace with a tumbler lock - which I plan to do.

A S&G MP combination is the way to go. You can easily set your combination and change the combination any time you like but still have a reasonable secure lock.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Have access to a rare earth magnet? May be worth a try. Not sure it will work with your safe, but it is a possibility.

See the video by Mr. Locksmith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJQ2wcYjBo

"Terry Whin-Yates from Mr. Locksmith demonstrated how easy it is to open a Sentry Electronic Safe is less than 5 seconds with no damage or “Signs of Entry” for the Kitsilano Business Leaders Meetup.
To purchase an excellent UL Listed Burgulary and Fire Resistant Safe for home or business that can not be opened in seconds visit Mr. Locksmith Safes."

Last edited by jklund38; 04/06/16.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought my gun safe used. When the batteries in the electronic lock failed, I had to order a key (which bypasses the lock) from the manufacturer, because you must change batteries from the inside! Duh!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I asked for a new keypad which they are sending out. Who knows, maybe mine is bad. I tried 100 psi of compressed air in the electronic wire hole - to no avail. I'll keep trying till the new keypad comes. Will update, thanks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ironically, I was wishing I had an electronic lock rather than my manual lock recently. Now I'm glad I don't.

I have a S&G manual lock that was getting very hard to open. Sometimes it took 5 or more tries before it would open. Was getting afraid to lock it up.

Called the safe company and they told me to try a couple of things. Turns out, according to the company, that the tumblers wear down with age and the cure is to use one number above or below the current combination.

So far so good.

Scott F, I assume there are different levels of quality in the S&G locks? I have two safes with S&G locks and the older one has never given me trouble. It also feels smoother and can be manipulated faster than the newer unit.

On the troubled unit I can feel more resistance in turning as I get closer to the set combination numbers. Is that normal or a sign of more trouble to come? Should I consider having it changed?

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

IC B3

T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by jklund38
Have access to a rare earth magnet? May be worth a try. Not sure it will work with your safe, but it is a possibility.

See the video by Mr. Locksmith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJQ2wcYjBo

"Terry Whin-Yates from Mr. Locksmith demonstrated how easy it is to open a Sentry Electronic Safe is less than 5 seconds with no damage or “Signs of Entry” for the Kitsilano Business Leaders Meetup.
To purchase an excellent UL Listed Burgulary and Fire Resistant Safe for home or business that can not be opened in seconds visit Mr. Locksmith Safes."

Thanks. Right now I'll wait for the new key pad. Just found out that the combination is retained in the piece IN the safe where the pin and solonoid are. The magnetic strength of that magnet might screw it up.

Last edited by twinray; 04/06/16.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

Scott F, I assume there are different levels of quality in the S&G locks? I have two safes with S&G locks and the older one has never given me trouble. It also feels smoother and can be manipulated faster than the newer unit.

On the troubled unit I can feel more resistance in turning as I get closer to the set combination numbers. Is that normal or a sign of more trouble to come? Should I consider having it changed?

A good cleaning, perhaps tightening of the screws that hold the body to the safe doors. Check that the key that holds the spindle and try a combination change. It sound like it is is loose somewhere.

T
twinray Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
This is THE LOCK YOU DON'T WANT
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.