Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I guess everything will eventually be high fenced! Just a matter of property size now.

Reminds me of the joke when a fella says to a lady, " will you sleep with me one time for a million bucks? She grins and says sure, to this he replies how about 50 bucks?
She says what do you think I am a hooker? "well that's already been established" now it's a matter of establishing the price.

Kinda like Fencing big or small, it's all still gonna be fenced! At what point does size matter in the area? I was a hunting guide in SE Alaska mostly on the SE Islands. Not a fence for 1000 miles........ except the salt water! All the islands were fenced by the sea.

Not much different in some of the mountain ranges that have big horn sheep, they are never coming down from up there and traveling to a new mountain range. They are stuck up on the hills they were born on and they will die up there of old age.

I'm not a fan of hunting 100 acres high fenced, or even several hundred. However by the time you get to 10,000 acres you're not gonna be cornering anything on that property to shoot, Not ever! Doubtful you would ever know all the game on that size property anyway, not in one lifetime, maybe not ever!

It's especially amusing to hear the high fence argument when you have personally seen Kudu and Eland Jump an 8' fence with ease and run off either entering or leaving! or seen 50 yards of fencing ripped loose in 20 seconds by two bull buffalo fighting, or a single White Rhino that got spooked and blew through like it was made of paper towel.

I've watched both waterbuck and Blue wildebeest destroy a section of high fence in a few seconds when they wanted to get through it.

The Fence around Kruger is a constant effort to keep intact. The elephants are a difficult beast to convince to stay put. Not to mention the poachers with wire cutters that like to come and go as they please through Zimbabwe.

Kenya has a massive project in front of them on this endeavor!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, Jim, I'm skeptical about that, to say the least. I don't know what high fencing costs to install in east Africa, but here in Texas it runs upwards of $25,000/mile, for the high-quality 12-foot fencing you see around the best properties.

I was impressed with the double-fence enclosure around the Bubye Valley Conservancy when I was there last September. They have two high fences surrounding the entire property, with a road between them. I would guess the cost of installing such barriers was staggering... and I was told the cost of repairing/maintaining them is still very high! Add to that the cost of armed game guards, maintenance crews, etc... Even so, the BVC lost 22 rhinos to poachers in 2015.

I have to say I'm skeptical about the Kenyans' fencing bluster at this point.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The wogs will just cut the fence up and turn it into snares..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Eventually all Kenyan wildlife will be in a big zoo. Let's hear it for the WWF!

BH63

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Yes, Jim, I'm skeptical about that, to say the least. I don't know what high fencing costs to install in east Africa, but here in Texas it runs upwards of $25,000/mile, for the high-quality 12-foot fencing you see around the best properties.

And that's what I can't wrap my mind around. All that fencing can't be cheap. You would think hunting properties would have to charge $100,000 for an impala just to break even.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.