Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems Gen X has taken quite a bit in the ass

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am!... although sometimes I never go to sleep and still have to plow through another work day.
Things are not free

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m over 50 and getting to the point I don't want to work all the hours anymore .......... LOL. At least not as much as we used to.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm 43 and been working full time since I was 22. Played music on the road for 3 years after high school, it sucked.

My son is 17 and takes every job he can get his hands on. He has a 99 silverado that he is building and he knows I'm not funding every little thing he wants. He worked all summer last year and bought a set of torque thrust STs for it. I'm proud of him. It took a few ass bustings when he was younger but he turned out really good. Except he leaves stuff laying around and it drives me nuts. I stay on his ass all the time about getting his stuff up. I shouldn't be so hard on him, at least he isn't lazy, doesn't do drugs and isn't a cock suckered. I suppose these days a man should count himself as lucky with a kid like that!

I have had many helpers at my old job that were the most usless SOBs ever. Mostly a bunch of younger guys and a couple of not so young guys. My last helper was thirty flippin seven and I had to teach that bastard to read a tape measure! Worthless and stupid all rolled into one. He had a ebt card, but of course he vaped and was always spending money on mods and different flavors, a real flippin dip $hit.. I told him he was a drain on society and that any grown ass man that couldn't fend for himself was a leach. He hated my ass, no love lost...

Last edited by seal_billy; 04/11/16.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'm 54. wheres my free schit? fuggen working sucks.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Going on sixty eight,what do you have?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
One of the things I see is the pay, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, and paying peanuts is not always a bad thing, but after two weeks if a guy shows up clean and on time, give him a buck an hour raise, it shows you care that he cares and then the future is in both of your hands, the cost of "stuff" has gone up, give a little and see what you get back.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Kid will be 24 this December, I guess that makes him a millennial.
He learned the rewards of hard work and mental toughness at a very young age.

He is finishing up his fire academy and recently had to perform a physical fitness exam where they hiked up a "mountain" with a 40 lb pack on his back.....he lapped everyone including the instructors that had nothing on their backs.
They were impressed....yeah, that's my boy... wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There are plenty of hard working Gen X and millenials.

I'm not one of them, but they're certainly abundant.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I thought you only needed to be Gay to join up Now.......... shocked

Originally Posted by jnyork
I am a former United States Air Force Recruiter, served in the late 1970's and have sorta kept up with the business since. I noted a recent study by the DOD that concluded 70% or more of people 17-28 years of age today are not qualified to enlist in the Armed Forces.

Too fat and out of shape from a lifetime of lying on the couch playing video games. No high school diploma. Too many run-ins with the law. Cant pass the drug test. Cant pass the written exam. Cant pass the physical strength and agility test. Cant pass the psych exam.

Pretty sad state of affairs. If you own a business, would you want to hire someone who couldn't make it into the Armed Forces? Probably not.

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 04/11/16.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i guess i'd be a millennial, I'm 32 years old, Im a journeymen wiremen, and journeymen nuclear structural welder, I haven't made less than 80K since i was 23yrs old. I know lots of guys my age that said fugg college and went into the trades, were all ass austin' dudes that have big houses and nice trucks, hot wives and no college bills ;-)

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
It's not just under 50. I have a 58 year old that couldn't show up for work on time if you held a gun to her head.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son is 23, Full time college student. Full time farmer. Still has time to hang out with his buddies. No student loans, and only limited help from me.

Daughter is 22 and graduating with excellent grades next month. Does what needs to get done, and not a lick more.... Sucks heavily on Momma's and the student loan teats...

My farm manager is 33, and works for me full time, plus runs the family cattle spread. I have to keep reigning him in and tell him 90 hrs per week is too much for a family man. He still thinks he's invincible.

I have a 26 year old "kid" driving for me that would do 80 hrs a week if he could squeeze it in his log book.

I think we'll be fine.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jnyork
I am a former United States Air Force Recruiter, served in the late 1970's and have sorta kept up with the business since. I noted a recent study by the DOD that concluded 70% or more of people 17-28 years of age today are not qualified to enlist in the Armed Forces.

Too fat and out of shape from a lifetime of lying on the couch playing video games. No high school diploma. Too many run-ins with the law. Cant pass the drug test. Cant pass the written exam. Cant pass the physical strength and agility test. Cant pass the psych exam.

Pretty sad state of affairs. If you own a business, would you want to hire someone who couldn't make it into the Armed Forces? Probably not.

Bernie Sander will change the requirements so all you have listed will qualify

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
i pay all my help good, they all start out more than minimum wage, start most at 12 and my installers make at least 15 a hr. but still i have to wake them up everyday and make sure they get to work, like waking kids up to go school. the problem i have is once i find a good one and teach them, they go out on their own. so i'm stuck with ones who actually do good work but have no motivation except to make just enough to get by.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Much of the problem comes from where and how kids are raised! I also believe that it also depends a lot on the state they're 'jerked up' in! Kids that grow up on farms and ranches....know the deal! Those raised on concrete and asphalt....most don't have a clue!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Much of the problem comes from where and how kids are raised! I also believe that it also depends a lot on the state they're 'jerked up' in! Kids that grow up on farms and ranches....know the deal! Those raised on concrete and asphalt....most don't have a clue!!

My kid was raised in California.
He's a stereotype crusher, much like his old man... cry

Proud NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Not sure why there are so many generalizations, seems so negative. I'm 43 years old, hire quite a few independent contractors much younger than I for my company. People will always be people, but I'd rather be positive than being the negative a-hole.

Teach them something rather than ripping on them and they might actually make a difference.

Everybody has the right to a wrong opinion.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
We hire alot of college grads and most of them work out pretty well. However we focus our college recruiting on college athletes (smaller colleges) and male or female, they typically know how to work hard, manage their time, and what it means to be part of team.

So I'd say from my sample size we're in good hands.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm 45 (soon to be 46). I went to work full time the day after high school graduation. Prior to that I worked part/full time for a farmer who had to pick me up everyday after football practice because I couldn't drive yet. April 3rd marked 23 years with the company I went to work for just before my 23rd birthday.

Our oldest daughter worked full time while putting herself through college and paid rent for an apt. while doing so. She will be 23 on Wednesday.

Our soon to be 21 yo daughter works part time and lives at home while putting herself through college.

Our 18 year old son works full/part time for a farmer while not in school. He will be going to Diesel mechanics in the fall while working at a JD Dealership and farming.

Our 17 year old son works part time for a farmer and picks up odd jobs here and there. He is more interested in his final season of football than anything else right now. Hitting the weights pretty hard.

So yes people under 50 are willing to get up and go to work, at least in this region of the country.

I have seen a lot of Gen Y kids come through our company that can't make it to work on time or they just keep moving from job to job looking for that elusive one where the rules are slack and the pay is good however.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 41 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,561
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.