Print Thread
Hop To
N
neb33 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I have been seeing 6 hens each day and late day come to a field and feed. This has been going on for about a week and there hasn't been a tom or jake with them. The week before I would see 4 big toms with them. My questionis do you think the toms got killed off or what would you thin happened. I have called and have not heard a gooble in the last week also.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe they weren't putting out and the Toms got tired of a tease. One guess on my part if they haven't been harvested already, perhaps they found a bigger flock of hens to service. Or hunting pressure has chased off the Toms.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
N
neb33 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Thanks. They may have been killed off even thou there isn't much pressure. These birds were very local and I had called them in a few times and got some good pictures of them. I will go out tonight and see if I can see some toms. It has been cold and rainy here today.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They could be on the nest. In other words they are finished and not respond to the Toms advances. Toms are out looking for sweethearts elsewhere.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hopefully they come back for you.

We had a similar occurrence over the past month on a property I hunt each year and it's probably the strangest thing I've seen with turkey hunting. We have cams running on multiple food plots and had many toms in Jan-Feb strutting around hens. Since late March(Pre-Season) the toms left and have not returned. I've been turkey hunting a long time and never seen that happen. No pics of a tom in over a month and none heard by hunters, yet plenty of hens still around. I've hunted hard 10 days, some days 12-13hrs straight and have only called in a pile of hens thus far. Called in 7 hens the last 3 days. Damnedest thing I've ever seen turkey hunting.

I think it may have been due to a very mild winter here. We had 80deg temps from Dec on and a very early green-up. I think they may have bred sooner than usual. I heard toms firing in January while deer hunting, which is rare here.

I was starting to question my skills, but I've talked to many veteran turkey killers that haven't killed and season is almost out.

IC B2

N
neb33 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Reloader7RM >>> That is very interesting and I believe I'm dealing with the same issues that you have witnessed. We had a very mild winter NO snow and temps that set record highs most days. I can relate to what you are saying the same thing is happening to me. I can call in hens and you would think a tom would be following but just not happening.
Thanks

Last edited by neb33; 04/18/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,955
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.