Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outstanding post magnumb.

On one hand I am trying to get over it and on the other I wonder at the praise of Sako and wonder if everyone knows?

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Michigan 70- Sako is a great action. However, "if" you have a problem expect a high probability of aggravation from their maryland service facility. With my repetitive problems I was told sales has no involvement. Also, bedding one of their stocks voids the warrenty. Their policy in my opinion is send orders but don't bother us with problems.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When I first heard the reports, I was not a happy camper. 4 rifles made by Beretta and all purchased in and around that same time period of the mishaps. I would have bet all of them would have been in the recall. I was totally surprised that not one was. I'm assuming that the batches in question were shipped to different "coasts" and I got lucky....who knows?

I read everything available (on-line) and called Beretta just to "be sure", several times (about the recalled #'s). So far, so good.

Faith isn't always a great "hat hanger", but without being able to actually view the production process, it's all we've got.

Good luck, I'm sure we won't need it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 5 Sako rifles;

75 Stainless Hunter in 375H&H
75 Hunter in 300 Ultra Mag
75 Finnlight in 260 Remington
A pre-Garcia L61 in 30_06

I stupidly traded my 75 Stainless Hunter in 300 Ultra Mag

I thing they are far superior to anything Weatherby is making (Although I have 4 Weatherby's' .308 Winchester Carbine, 257 Weatherby and 300 Weatherby, Both on German actions and a .338-06 Big Game Master. The stock broke on the 300 Weatherby and when I sent it back, Ed Weatherby answered my call and personally selected a new stock for it. The most beautiful stock I have seen on any grade Weatherby.)

Kevin Haile
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It looks like I am about to join the Sako ranks. I just did a deal in the classifieds on a 75 Grey Wolf. It is chambered in 270 WSM. Those new 130 grain Accubonds will get a chance to please. I have never seen, or held one of these, just a blind azz purchase. I am much relieved to hear the praise on this post.

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrat's!

There won't be any "buyer's remorse", I assure you. Great caliber too.

Appreciate you gettin' back to us on your results with the 130gr. AB's. It's been in the back of my mind to see what they could do. Although, the 140's really do shoot well. So, just in case the 130's don't do it for you, try those 140's. Most 270WSM guys I know swear by them as well, in front of some RL22 sparked by 215M's.

Pretty spectacular results.

Enjoy your new rifle....how could you not.

Oh yeah....scope?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a 3.5-10x44 Conquest that I hope will look nice on it. The tube length might not agree with the Short Mag action. I also have a Burris FF II in 3-9x40. What might you reccommend? The owner had a Burris 4.5-14x42 that will include for an additional fee. If this rifle is what I think it will be then I can also swap a few around on other rifles. My 2 nicest scopes are Swarovski 2.5-10 and a Zeiss V-MV 2.5-10. I hope to find the "right" scope for the action size with at least a 9 or 10 power on the top end.
I have 140 Accubonds also, and had worked out a load for my 270 Winnie. It was used to kill my best buck last year and a perfect job of expansion with the exit I can expect. Used to be all I handloaded for was the most accurate load. This always ended up with a Sierra or Nosler Ballistic Tip. Now the Accubond has arrived and the accuracy is the same with new bullet performance I`m really not used to. I am loving it though. Hey, thanks for the load to try, I swear this is an awesome place, lots of friendly, helpful folks.

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well...since you asked....grin.

The 270WSM wasn't chosen as a close-in, deep woods caliber. And since you said "with AT LEAST a 9 or 10X on the top end", I think the Conquest in 4.5 X 14 X 44 with side AO is just the ticket. Higher magnification that really compliments the superb trajectory that the 270WSM has to offer. The side AO just helps to clarify what may be a little fuzzy to the 9 or 10X w/o AO capabilities.

Now comes a whole assortment of recommendations from other's which is fine, but that would be my hands down first choice. The last thing you want to do is limit yourself on magnification and clarity on top of that. Someone will no doubt comment, "well just get a 8.5 X 25 and be done with it". There is a limit to what's useful and not. Field of view being very important as well as the ability to establish a solid shooting platform given the "ultra high" varmint level magnifications.

If you go with a scope with the bottom end of 2.5X, it's field of view is only slightly larger than the bottom end of the 4.5 X 14. But at the top end of say a 9 or 10X, a 14X gives you substantially more magnification if you need it. My guess is that someday, you WILL need it, perhaps many times more than you think. Helps to shoot little groups at the range as well which allows you to truly see what your loads can do. A huge plus in my book.

You can always dial down in magnification if need be, but you can't dial up to a higher magnification, such as to 14X, if your top end is 9 or 10X.

Good luck with your choice. Whether a bit confusing or not, it's really part of the fun of puttin' it all together.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I honestly didn't know anything about a recall and was sincerely asking what people thought of the Sako rifles. From the responses the Sako I thought I wanted will likely be the Sako I own by August. Thanks for the information.

Rich

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
michigan - That's what makes these sites so valuable.

Not to worry now, unless you are looking at buying a used Sako or perhaps a new one that has sat on a dealers shelf somewhere for the last few years. Even given that scenario, all dealers were given serial #'s of the affected rifles for recall purposes. That's easily handled and/or verified as well by going to the Beretta site or calling them and asking which serial #'s were involved in the recall. This event occured some 2-3 years ago, but it is possible that many never heard about the issue, so my suggestion would be to verify the serial # prior to making a purchase. Most dealers would probably still retain a list of those rifles affected. Just prudent and safer to do so. Some people have few scruples and would rather turn a product for the best price, less giving the potential buyer the benefit of knowing about a possible issue/recall. Not responsible nor showing much integrity, but it does occur.

Given the oversights and additional QC obviously implemented by Beretta concerning that recall, I would have a great deal of faith in the fact that such a situation is much less likely to reoccur.

I'm excited for your purchase and hope that you'll keep us updated as to your activities in that regard.

Best of luck to you.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had a AV that the bolt face wasn't squared. I never could get it to shoot MOA. I did love the smoothness of the action though, and wouldn't hesitate to give another one a second chance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been useing a 75 finnlight in 270win the last few seasons. Very functional, couldn't ask for better.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Perhaps wishful thinking, but I wonder if you brought it to their attention, if Sako might have "squared" you away....quite literally.

Maybe yes, maybe no. But like dating....you don't know till you ask.....grin.

Give 'em a call...can't hurt. If not, a good 'smith can make it happen.

Good luck.

Last edited by magnumb; 12/01/06.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Michigan70: You will not regret buying a Sako in any Caliber. I have had a Sako since the Mid 60's , now I have three. one is a 243 Forester built in the mid 60's, a 22-250 I purchased in the early 70's and I bought a Small action sako in 17 Rem. I have had about three yrs. 2 of them are wearing McMillen stocks and when my grandson gets older and bigger the third one will also. Very good actions and Barrels . best of luck with Yours.
Navarro

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Currently have 5 Sako's........all AV vintage or older. Love all of 'em.

My "go to'' rifle has been a Sako Fiberclass 270 in the factory McM stock, rebedded. Killed everything from antelope to moose with it.

If you look hard, you can find some of the older ones for sale, new or close to it.

In my opinion, they are better than current models.

Can't speak for the new Kimbers since I don't own one; have an original BGR89 in 338 and it's a great rifle.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I handled a Sako 85 on Saturday and I felt no love. It's has the same style stock as the Tikka T3. They no longer fit me at all.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have heard that several times regarding the 85.

Don't have that experience myself as I've not handled one, but I know that the 75 seems to be embraced by more than a few.

Last edited by magnumb; 12/04/06.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own two 75's. One's a Hunter Stainless (wood stock, stainless barrelled action) that now sports a Lilja barrel chambered in .300 Win Mag. The other is a standard Hunter chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. They're accurate, they always function properly and they feel better in my hands than just about any rifle I've ever handled. If they were about a pound or so lighter I'd probably like 'em even better, but that's no big deal to me.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
+1 on the bit of weightiness, but part of the package. And what a package.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned and shot quite a few Sakos. There isn't anything on the market that compares to the robustness or smoothness of the Sako in a production rifle. Accuracy is always there with Sako as well. I have never ever seen one shoot over an inch with good ammo. Most hover around the half inch mark. I have seen a couple straight out of the box absolutely and honestly refuse to shoot over 1/4" 5 shot groups over and over again with NO modifications. The triggers are to die for and the "little bit" of added weight (if there really is any) bothers me not one bit. You won't find plastic and pot metal where steel needs to be. Love them! Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,633
Posts18,474,369
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.