B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by jorgeI
..but the non-locking bolt is a no-starter for me.

Why is that? I have friends who believe the opposite.

For my 2 cents. I am left handed but right eye dominant. I feel more comfortable with the rifle slung over my left shoulder. A non-bolt locking push feed rifle ends up with an open bolt and an empty magazine.

I had to carry a borrowed Rem 700 .30-06 on a moose hunt a couple years ago after United routed my rifle to east BF. It cemented my opinion on this.

I have never been able to make that happen on the push feeds I have owned. Also, it is a rare time when I am walking with a round chambered.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only time I ever had a bolt open was with a Model 70 with the safety in third, locked bolt position.

I was carrying with a round in the chamber, bolt locked, and slung the rifle over my shoulder to use both hands to move through some brush. A bit later I unslung the rifle to find the bolt open and fully back with the chambered round lost to the woods somewhere behind me.

Some small bump moved the safety to the middle position where there is no resistance to the bolt opening, then some branch must have snagged the handle and opened the bolt.

Not making any blanket statements, it's one data point among millions, just shows that there are no hard and fast rules to anything.

Nowadays I'm safer. I keep a Lee loader in my pocket with a couple of primed cases, powder in a small container and loose bullets, and literally don't load the rounds until I see game....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jorgeI
OK, thanks. That's too bad, they look like pretty nice rifles. For Tuperware types anyway smile

J,

I resemble that remark........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ya'

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Not making any blanket statements, it's one data point among millions, just shows that there are no hard and fast rules to anything.

Me either. Just my experience like yours.

Nowadays I'm safer. I keep a Lee loader in my pocket with a couple of primed cases, powder in a small container and loose bullets, and literally don't load the rounds until I see game....

See! That's the kind of innovative thinking that will prevent all of this! Perhaps you can convince the kids at my range who like to dump a magazine of 5.56 as quick as they can that this is a tacticool thing to do? grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Interesting to hear others experiences. Ive done a bunch of hunting in a bunch of places and never seen a bolt action open for lack of a bolt lock.
If Im still hunting, I have a round in the chamber, if Im hunting from a Texas stand I don't chamber one till I'm all set up in the stand. No need.

The 'hot vs. cold' argument has always intrigues me. You either trust yourself with a loaded gun, or you don't.

And my favorite thing is a lot of the 'cold' fanatics think nothing of carrying a loaded concealed weapon into crowds of people....

People are curious creatures.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ingwe

Interesting to hear others experiences. Ive done a bunch of hunting in a bunch of places and never seen a bolt action open for lack of a bolt lock.
If Im still hunting, I have a round in the chamber, if Im hunting from a Texas stand I don't chamber one till I'm all set up in the stand. No need.

The 'hot vs. cold' argument has always intrigues me. You either trust yourself with a loaded gun, or you don't.

And my favorite thing is a lot of the 'cold' fanatics think nothing of carrying a loaded concealed weapon into crowds of people....

Ingwe,

This past year I was Aoudad hunting with a buddy in the Big Bend area of Texas. A lot of the "hunting" was more mountain climbing with a rifle than hunting. My buddies Remington 700 bolt repeatedly opened while we climbed, occasionally dropping a round out of the magazine. He finally dry fired on an empty chamber such that tension was added to the bolt and the problem was eliminated.

David

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have two Nosler rifles. Both are accurate. My 26 Nosler did fine on a Goat this past fall. It is a great rifle for Alaska.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe,

This past year I was Aoudad hunting with a buddy in the Big Bend area of Texas. A lot of the "hunting" was more mountain climbing with a rifle than hunting. My buddies Remington 700 bolt repeatedly opened while we climbed, occasionally dropping a round out of the magazine. He finally dry fired on an empty chamber such that tension was added to the bolt and the problem was eliminated.

David

this...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.