Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
[Linked Image]

Hi AS. The question for me is why would you go to mockery and disdain? You of course have a free will to reject and disbelieve all you want and ignore it. Could it be a protective reflex to deal with the uncertainty that is at your core? That uncertainty could be a good thing.

It's mindful to me of liberalism wherein is all tolerance and inclusiveness...until you present them with conservatism. But even a few liberals eventually become conservatives.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by k22hornet
About 26 years ago, my son, age 4years and 6 days old, had a series of open heart surgeries, 3 over a period of 20 days. The 1st surgery was the only one scheduled, the other 2 had to be done because the 1st did not work.

His vital signs were crashing on that Saturday morning, and the surgeon told us they had to operate now, or we will lose him.

During the surgery, a nurse, kept coming out to keep us informed. At one point she tells us they are having a difficult time getting him off the heart/lung machine, which is not a good thing.

Finally, he is off that machine and they bring him to ICU. As the days progress, and he gets better, we notice he has an imaginary playmate, named Alex. He tells us Alex is another little boy who had heart surgery, and Alex follows us home. We were in the hospital for 52 days.

3 months after we get home, Alex is still around by the way, and my son, who is playing Legos, looks up at his Mom and says, "Mommy, I know what it feels like to die". Stunned, she asks him about it, and he tells her the story of God kidnapping him, and walking down a hallway, with other people around. My wife asks him what does God look like, and he says 'Sunny'. He said that while he and God were walking, God stopped and told him 'it's time for you to go home. Tell your Mommy your not going to die'. And then he goes back to playing Legos, like nothing happened.

He brought it up one more time, about a month later, and never again. He is 30yo now, and doesn't remember anything of what he said.

At 4 years of age, he had the 'classic' NDE, floating over the operating table seeing himself being operated on, which is where Alex most likely came from, seeing other people in a bright tunnel and walking with God, the 'sunny' light.

I used to think that adult NDE's were influenced by reading of NDE's, thereby perpetuating them.

But, here I had a just turned 4yo who could not read, and nobody ever talked to him about dying, and he has an NDE.

I Believe.

The adult NDE can be explained away by education of religion. I get that. I understand that. ITs not what I choose to believe. But I get it that its possible.

The kids that have NO clue, those I can't explain away.... and my seeing the hell death, I have ZERO doubts.

When my father was dying at home, slowly and painfully, we kept urging him to go home. He kept saying his home( what does the bible actually say, home,room etc...) was not ready yet. And he spoke of his deceased sibling at the time.

And then one day, he says, and not in a coherent state mostly anymore at that time, out of the blue, we were not talking about this, I think not talking any at all right then... My house is ready.

It was less than 24 hours later he died. And within 2 hours of his death, I saw, or at least I'm convinced I saw, his spirit moving from the hall to the dining room. I was not looking, but caught it out of the corner of my eye. He was no longer with us, he was in cheney stokes breathing, and I may have "seen" something that was not, but I am fairly sure it was what I saw as I was not grieving at that time, but actually praying for him to be out of pain... Obviuosly I did grieve greatly after the fact......

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have met the maker and returned. I am by no means a perfect man and have always struggled with faith and full belief until my experience. I am very scientifically minded and believe in the Big Bang theory and evolution. I just simply believe that its scientific mans best solution to Gods works. In other words God made it so , doesn't matter to me what you call it or label it to me. Some are just looking to create something tangible as they search for answers that hopefully will lead that person to the real discovery.

I have also always known that the colors found in Mother Nature alone, be it a butterfly, a sunset or a blue sky and green leaves left something more than science could fully explain. I get all the science behind it but why/how it is so beautifully put together never made sense scientifically.

My time came while practicing for a free diving spearfishing competition. I blacked out at the 4 minute mark right as the back of my head broke the surface. My partner thought I had taken a breath and was doing another breath hold. I hadn't gotten to take that breath.

Another 4 minutes into my submersion something literally struck my partner and said "go get him". I was underwater for an estimated 8 plus minutes. When brought up and put on the deck I obviously wasn't breathing nor was there a pulse of any sort whatsoever. The water temp was 72 degrees and I was 42 years old at the time.

After several minutes of compression I took my first breath. Within another couple of minutes I was up and walking. On the way to the hospital in the back of the ambulance things got bad for me. It seems I had aspirated several times flooding both lobes of both lungs as my diaphram continued to pump water into my lungs. At first I didn't want to go the the hospital but the EMT convinced me otherwise. On the way I coughed up almost a full five gallon bucket of frothy blood.

Now during this time of black out and near death or death whatever you want to call it I was upon a mountain, the sky was brilliantly lit with stars. The wind was gently blowing and the air was crisp and cool. Gods hand was upon my shoulder as he stood beside me but over me.

I felt nothing but love, tranquility and peace. It was by far the most peaceful and happy moment of my entire life. I still don't know why he sent me back. I have never feared death to begin with but now I know the real truth, have complete and undoubting faith and thank the Lord several times a day for the forgiveness and the beauty that he has allowed us all.

I am by no means rushing to get there again as I know its in his hands. I continue to try to touch as many lives as possible when their ears are looking for answers.

I am also still a heathen and sinner of sorts but as my buddy put it what better place is there to fish for the willing than in a pond of heathens. Stay well folks.

So to those who are about to loose a loved one or have already done so please know that they are in a state of grace like no other I have ever known to this day.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Strick9
I have met the maker and returned. I am by no means a perfect man and have always struggled with faith and full belief until my experience. I am very scientifically minded and believe in the Big Bang theory and evolution. I just simply believe that its scientific mans best solution to Gods works. In other words God made it so , doesn't matter to me what you call it or label it to me. Some are just looking to create something tangible as they search for answers that hopefully will lead that person to the real discovery.

I have also always known that the colors found in Mother Nature alone, be it a butterfly, a sunset or a blue sky and green leaves left something more than science could fully explain. I get all the science behind it but why/how it is so beautifully put together never made sense scientifically.

My time came while practicing for a free diving spearfishing competition. I blacked out at the 4 minute mark right as the back of my head broke the surface. My partner thought I had taken a breath and was doing another breath hold. I hadn't gotten to take that breath.

Another 4 minutes into my submersion something literally struck my partner and said "go get him". I was underwater for an estimated 8 plus minutes. When brought up and put on the deck I obviously wasn't breathing nor was there a pulse of any sort whatsoever. The water temp was 72 degrees and I was 42 years old at the time.

After several minutes of compression I took my first breath. Within another couple of minutes I was up and walking. On the way to the hospital in the back of the ambulance things got bad for me. It seems I had aspirated several times flooding both lobes of both lungs as my diaphram continued to pump water into my lungs. At first I didn't want to go the the hospital but the EMT convinced me otherwise. On the way I coughed up almost a full five gallon bucket of frothy blood.

Now during this time of black out and near death or death whatever you want to call it I was upon a mountain, the sky was brilliantly lit with stars. The wind was gently blowing and the air was crisp and cool. Gods hand was upon my shoulder as he stood beside me but over me.

I felt nothing but love, tranquility and peace. It was by far the most peaceful and happy moment of my entire life. I still don't know why he sent me back. I have never feared death to begin with but now I know the real truth, have complete and undoubting faith and thank the Lord several times a day for the forgiveness and the beauty that he has allowed us all.

I am by no means rushing to get there again as I know its in his hands. I continue to try to touch as many lives as possible when their ears are looking for answers.

I am also still a heathen and sinner of sorts but as my buddy put it what better place is there to fish for the willing than in a pond of heathens. Stay well folks.

So to those who are about to loose a loved one or have already done so please know that they are in a state of grace like no other I have ever known to this day.

Powerful. thanks for telling this. there are many stories just like yours. I have one myself. There's no doubting anymore.

LOL
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very interesting stories! Doc - Thanks for starting the thread.(Even it was a couple of years ago)

From my notes on a talk I heard recently:

(NDE - Near Death Experience)

Dr. Pim van Lommel, a cardiologist from the Netherlands, conducted a study on cardiac arrest patients who were successfully revived. He found that 18 percent had an NDE.

According to a literature study by P. M. H. Atwater,
about 50% described heaven-like, pleasant experiences,
about 15% of all NDE's are described as unpleasant, threatening, or frightening. (Such as Doc's anecdote.)
about 20% described "transcendent experiences involving “alternate realities and otherworldly scenes,” often with
“revelations of greater truths.”

Atwater also showed a connection between the type of person who has the NDE and the nature of the NDE itself.

Some research seems to show that people can make positive NDEs more likely through spiritual practice and preparation.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by DocRocket
The man I related the story about did. Mark led him thru the Cliff's Notes version of the salvation scriptures, led him in the Sinner's Prayer, and the man was totally different after his heart-to-heart with Mark and the Lord. The wife was in tears, and told Mark that she'd been praying for her husband's soul for years and he had been totally hard-hearted toward God for years and years, until that night.

Praise the Lord, Doc! Thanks for sharing this story. He could run, but he could never hide from the hound of heaven.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was raised Catholic, attended Catholic school for 12 years and then sort of lost my way for about 15 years or so. The near death of my now 14 year old daughter during childbirth led to an experience that i believe was divine intervention.

I attend Baptist church now because it is the way my wife was raised. my personal belief is that no church has it it completely correct, all churches are influenced by the people that control them. I do believe that jesus christ died for me. died an unbelievably agonizing death for me.
I put my head down every night knowing i failed him in some way that day and i wake up every morning hoping in some small way to be a better man than i was the day before. It works for me and mine.

From a national geographic article
"There’s been on-going scientific debate over the years about how exactly crucifixion killed its victims. A 2006 article in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, for example, listed 9 different hypotheses about Jesus’ precise cause of death, including asphyxiation, heart failure, a blood clot in the lungs, and hypovolemic shock, in which severe blood and fluid loss prevent the heart from pumping enough blood to the body, causing organ failure. Some researchers conclude that condemned prisoners such as Jesus most likely died from some combination of various life-threatening conditions, which would set in progressively during crucifixion and gradually overwhelm their bodies.
But of all those effects, the most lethal effect of crucifixion was that it was designed to interfere with a condemned prisoner’s ability to breathe. That process likely began before the crucifixion, when guards brutally beat the condemned with a flagrum, a short whip with sharp objects interwoven into its thongs. As medical examiner Frederick T. Zugibe noted in his book “The Crucifixion of Jesus: A Forensic Inquiry,” the repeated blows would cause broken ribs, lacerated and collapsed lungs, and damaged the muscles in the torso, which would make it difficult and painful to breathe. He then would be dragged to his feet and forced to carry part of the cross to his place of the place of execution, which weakened his body even more.
At that point, the Romans attached the prisoner to the cross. In some instances prisoners were tied with rope to it, which might enable them to survive for several days. But according to the New Testament, Jesus and other unfortunates were attached with nails. It is thought that the feet were nailed vertically to the upright beam with the knees bent at around 45 degrees. In the 1950s, French surgeon Dr. Pierre Barbet, based in part upon an experiment that he performed with a cadaver, proposed that the nails were driven between the bones of Jesus’s wrist. That would have severed the median nerve, paralyzing the hands and caused excruciating pain. Zugibe however, argued that the palms, as described in the New Testament, were sufficiently strong enough to support the executed person’s weight, and were “the most plausible location.”
Otherwise, as the cross beam was put into place, the prisoner’s thigh muscles would eventually fail, so that he couldn’t support himself with his legs. That, in turn, transferred his body weight to his arms, pulling his shoulders from their sockets. He was left in a position in which his chest and rib cage were thrust forward. As Jeremy Ward, a physiologist at King’s College London explained to the Guardian newspaper in 2004: "The weight of the body pulling down on the arms makes breathing extremely difficult." In some instances, when the Romans wanted to prolong the suffering, they might attach a sedile, or seat, to the cross, which reportedly allowed some victims to survive for days. But according to Zugibe, they probably did not provide a sedile for Jesus, since Jewish scripture barred executioners from leaving a condemned person on the cross overnight."

Last edited by Tim M; 04/20/16.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Strick9

Wow!!! Amazing!!! Keep sharing that good news!!!

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for the thread.
I've known two people who have reported near death experiences. One to heaven, one to hell. The one who reported going to the gates of hell was terrified and on his return couldn't see his Christian friend fast enough. The other had a wonderful experience.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the thread!

May God bless all of you!

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Man, I forgot what a nutjob Eyeball is.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting this. It is refreshing to hear your story. Too often we are led to believe that men of science cannot be believers because faith and science conflict but you and George obviously disprove that. It's really interesting to hear a physician's take on this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
Thanks for posting this. It is refreshing to hear your story. Too often we are led to believe that men of science cannot be believers because faith and science conflict but you and George obviously disprove that. It's really interesting to hear a physician's take on this.

There are many famous scientists that are or were Christians. "Hard" science, not that which is merely dogma, is the window into God's General Revelation; that is all of his creation.

http://coldcasechristianity.com/201...reat-christian-thinkers-and-scientists/#

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 04/21/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
George_De_Vries_3rd,

That book is a great listen. Sue and I have been listening to it for a couple days. He spends a lot of time telling the reader about real crime cases and solving them.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Covert Cognition: My So-Called Near-Death Experience

Feature

Stephanie Savage​

Skeptical Inquirer Volume 39.4, July/August 2015

A skeptic sees no light at the end of the tunnel when she falls into a six-week coma and nearly dies.

We often see and hear dramatic accounts of near-death experiences (NDEs) in books, in films, and on television. But where are the stories from skeptics who “returned” but not from The Other Side? After all, NDEs are generally accepted as a neurological phenomenon. Well, most people who have NDEs actually die. Among the survivors, many are severely brain-damaged. Of those who do recover, most are believers. As for the skeptical ones, how many of them are writers? Not many, probably, but I am one.

“It’s the profound brain damage again,” has become a running joke whenever I say something stupid, a fairly common occurrence long before the strokes that caused my coma. This wouldn’t be very funny if I weren’t fully conscious now—excluding mornings. I’m writing this article not long after the first anniversary of my awakening. My boyfriend calls it Coma Day, and he’s never forgotten the date. I’ve never forgotten that first conscious moment.

I thought I was suffering through a miserably sleepless night, a recurring theme in what I call my coma-dream. Every time I finally managed to drop off, something would wake me up again. Whenever doctors shined lights in my eyes looking for signs of consciousness, I would grumpily ask them to leave me alone so I could get back to sleep . . . in the coma-dream. My lack of response in the real world only added to their conviction that my brain was, as they said, profoundly damaged. My mother, boyfriend, and his mother, who had visited daily, noticed signs of my increasing awareness, but their observations were disregarded by the doctors.

When I finally awoke, I thought, “Goddammit, I just fell back asleep.” That’s when my mother told me I had actually been sleeping for six weeks, on the brink of death. I was shocked. “Seriously?” I mouthed. I had a tracheostomy, so I couldn’t speak—a fate worse than death for me.

However, the doctors’ conclusions weren’t groundless. My MRI showed that I had suffered a series of strokes on both sides of my brain when my blood pressure plummeted from septic shock. The sepsis was triggered by Legionnaires’ disease, a rare form of severe pneumonia discovered when it sickened attendees at a Legionnaires’ convention.

In the waning days of a vacation in Sicily with my boyfriend, Keith, I came down with what we thought was nothing more than a nasty chest cold. We joked about my case of “Mussolini’s Revenge,” but it was far more serious than that. A few days after we returned home, he rushed me to the emergency room. I was so delirious that when he asked why I hadn’t turned on the air conditioning, I said, “I like the heat.” It was 105° that day, and I hate the heat.

Most of the victims at the Legionnaires’ convention were elderly. I caught the disease because my immune system was weakened by prednisone, which I was taking for an obscure autoimmune disease called dermatomyositis. It’s uncommon enough that I’ve often seen the dermatomyositis Wikipedia page on the computer screen when seeing a new specialist. And, yes, it is disturbing that medical professionals are using a questionable information source popular with schoolchildren.

Though the doctors continued to dismiss suggestions of my improving wakefulness, much of what was going on around me was filtering into my coma-dream. I wasn’t aware that I was in a vegetative state, but I knew I had a “trach,” a term I had previously heard only in medical dramas. Encouraged by an imaginary doctor, I blew large bubbles out of my nose—as if I’d been snorting bubblegum—when I had a sinus infection from my feeding tube. The constant thrumming was the machinery keeping me alive.

Near death isn’t required for a near-death experience. They can be triggered by severe illness and even fainting (from lack of oxygen to the brain). Though my coma-dream shared many similarities with typical NDEs, my experience was different because I’m a skeptic. The reason I didn’t see dead relatives is I don’t believe in life after death. Likewise, I didn’t see Jesus’s rainbow-hued horse because I’m Jewish and not a four-year-old imagining Jesus with a gay Little Pony. I did, however, dream of ice cream. Indeed, while my life didn’t flash before my eyes, childhood elements figured prominently in the revolving segments of the coma-dream. On my Brain TV, some shows were repeats, while others had advancing plots like soap operas. I had a lot of time to kill.

One serial featured a low Big Wheel–like kid’s tricycle that churned ice cream in a cart attached to the back as it was peddled. Actually, burning the calories you’re about to consume isn’t such a bad idea. Sometimes when I peddled this ice cream–making Big Wheel, I was an anthropomorphic polar bear cub. While I saw no religious figures, I imagined miniaturized zoo animals right out of a 1950s sci-fi film. They were having a tea party, like poker-playing dogs except with tiny china cups. You can see why I call this a coma-dream. These surreal images may be akin to the spirits believers see in their NDEs.

After the awakening, I felt like Dorothy waking up in bed after her journey down the Yellow Brick Road. So many of the things in the coma-dream suddenly made sense—except for the cub-powered ice cream Big Wheel and toy-sized elephant. The pachyderm held the teapot with its trunk.

Oh, that’s the reason snippets of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, one of my favorite books, kept wafting into unrelated storylines. My boyfriend had read to me from the book, while my mother had played the original BBC radio series. I don’t believe the incursions always occurred when I heard them, though. My mother also used her e-reader to play some recent David Attenborough nature documentaries, including one on Charles Darwin. (As a former future-paleontologist, evolution has long been a special interest of mine.) Sometimes sections would repeat. I thought I was rewinding the program because my mind wandered (something I do frequently). My Brain TV had a DVR.

the author unconscious in a hospitalAuthor Stephanie Savage while in her six-week coma.
Ah, so that’s why they kept asking me to stop biting the hose delivering Hi-C to my mouth as if from a beer hat. They weren’t risking cavities by giving me a sugary fruit-flavored drink; they were preventing them by cleaning my mouth with a citrus-flavored swab. If I had stopped biting the swab, I wouldn’t have had so much plaque on my teeth, the reason I was running my tongue over my teeth in both the coma-dream and in reality. I couldn’t understand how my teeth could’ve gotten that coated overnight. But then, the tooth-licking was one of the signs of recovering awareness that gave my loved ones hope, even if the doctors wouldn’t acknowledge it as such.

And my new boyfriend in the dream, the one who looked and sounded exactly like Keith in every way except his beard, actually was Keith, who had grown a full beard while I was in the coma. I wondered why his glasses had been repaired with the same kludge Keith devised in Sicily—with the sticky part of a clear Band-Aid. What a weird coincidence. Since this was a form of dream, that wasn’t a tipoff, even when I slipped and called him Keith.

But for most people in a vegetative state, they’re more likely to hear prayers and the Bible than Hitchhiker’s Guide. That must affect what they visualize in their NDEs. Indeed, the content of NDEs varies among cultures. I was raised without religion, but the disembodied voices I heard were not unlike spirit voices. My brain didn’t supply images of the afterlife because I believe life after death is a fantasy. Resistance to being awakened is similar to reluctance to return from The Other Side. Using Occam’s razor, which is more likely to be true?

If I had been a New Ager, seeing myself being turned over to prevent bedsores would’ve seemed like an out-of-body experience (OBE). But how many times have I watched myself from outside my body in an ordinary dream? Oh, wait—some people believe those are OBEs too. I once dreamed that a lion put its paw on my hand, only to wake up with my cat’s paw on my hand. It doesn’t take a genius to figure that one out. There’s nothing supernatural about that; it’s just sensory information mixed with imagination. Besides, my eyes were sometimes open, so my perceptions weren’t always imaginary. That’s how I knew Keith had grown a full beard.

According to the Merck Manual:

A vegetative state is absence of responsiveness and awareness due to overwhelming dysfunction of the cerebral hemispheres, with sufficient sparing of the diencephalon and brain stem to preserve autonomic and motor reflexes and sleep-wake cycles. Patients may have complex reflexes, including eye movements, yawning, and involuntary movements to noxious stimuli, but show no awareness of self or environment. (Maiese 2014)

Yet, there is growing empirical evidence of covert cognition in people who have been in a persistent vegetative state (PVS) for years. Using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), which determines brain activity by displaying blood-flow patterns, researchers from Cambridge University, including pioneering researcher Dr. Adrian Owen, were able to communicate with five patients with consciousness disorders by asking them to imagine one of two activities (Owen et al. 2006). In the motor task, they were instructed to imagine playing tennis. In the spatial task, they were asked to navigate familiar locations. The images lit up different brain regions. Four patients were able to answer yes or no questions with this technique (Monti et al. 2010). One answered five of six correctly. His “do not resuscitate” order was rescinded. The results were repeatable and corresponded closely to those of the healthy controls.

Kate Bainbridge, the first vegetative person Dr. Owen tested with positron emission tomography (PET), eventually recovered her mental faculties. “I was unresponsive and looked hopeless,” she later told him in a note, “but the scan showed people I was in there. It was like magic, it found me.” Today, she’s angry at the doctors who ignored her discomfort because they assumed she wasn’t feeling anything. The reason I was dreaming about ice cream—another serialized dream also involved ice cream—is probably because I was left uncovered in a frigid room.

Now at Canada’s Western University, Dr. Owen and his team recently conducted an fMRI study in which a man who had been vegetative for sixteen years responded with nearly identical brain patterns as the study’s healthy controls while watching “Bang! You’re Dead,” an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Naci et al. 2014). This indicated that he was following the suspenseful plot. Regarding the subject, Jeff Tremblay, Dr. Naci said, “For the first time, we show that a patient with unknown levels of consciousness can monitor and analyze information from their environment, in the same way as healthy individuals. We already know that up to one in five of these patients are misdiagnosed as being unconscious and this new technique may reveal that that number is even higher.” Since the Hitchcock experiment, they have tested patients using Charlie Chaplin’s Modern Times and The Lion’s Cage, which, according to Dr. Naci, have shown similar results.

If Mr. Tremblay is watching his own Brain TV, is he now seeing images of a little boy with a gun? Are the subjects of the Chaplin study imagining themselves caught in the cogs of a giant machine? Perhaps someday, through fMRI or emerging treatments, they will be able to tell us. When that day comes, what are the odds that they will report seeing the afterlife after all those years? You’d think their dead relatives would eventually return to the light so they can find something better to do.

Though many of these patients are misdiagnosed, without proper screening it’s impossible to know which ones. In my case, the minute the doctors saw the stroke damage they assumed I was beyond hope. The Glasgow Coma Scale wasn’t even performed, and it’s just a low-tech behavioral checklist. I was in a state-of-the-art hospital; imagine a patient in a less advanced facility.

My neurologist told me that the reasons I’ve recovered so well are that I was younger than the average stroke victim and most of my brain damage was in the watershed areas. Watershed areas lie between two major arteries. By the time blood reaches these sections, there’s less oxygen in it. It’s a bit like a wetland fed by two trickling tributaries. Together, they provide just enough water, but when the flow diminishes, the land between the tributaries dries up. As she explained, watershed areas don’t generally control vital functions. They die more quickly than more important regions, but they also spring back faster after damage has occurred. Ain’t evolution grand?

The “string of pearls” pattern of my watershed-area stroke damage should’ve been obvious to the neurologists examining my MRI. I can’t say why they didn’t add that evidence to my relative youth when predicting my chance of recovery. They did perform an electroencephalogram (EEG), which showed, not surprisingly, that I still had brain activity. Again, I don’t know why that didn’t figure into their evaluation. Perhaps they didn’t consider the mounting evidence that there is more awareness in the comatose and nearly—but not most sincerely—dead than previously realized.

Regarding the tennis study, “In the Blink of the Mind’s Eye” states, “This technology does more than open up the possibility of communicating with people thought to be unconscious and unreachable. It also suggests that neuroimaging must eventually be integrated into the clinical assessment of many patients who are vegetative or minimally conscious. This is a dramatic finding and a potential game-changer for clinical practice” (Finns and Schiff 2010). If that happens, there will be fewer seemingly miraculous recoveries because they won’t be such a surprise.

The perceptions of stricken brains are hardly inexplicable if awareness is more like a dimmer than an on/off switch. Moreover, NDEs can’t be proof of mind/brain separation if the brains of those experiencing them are still active. Covert cognition fills many blanks.

My OBEs felt like imagined perspective shifts, but the sensation of floating outside your body can be electrically stimulated in the brain (Blanke and Arzy 2005). Furthermore, REM intrusion, which causes blended dream states like lucid dreaming, may be responsible for the fantastical qualities of NDEs (Nelson et al. 2006). “I see it [the NDE] as an activation of certain brain regions that are also active during the dream state,” said Nelson. The study adds, “Under circumstances of peril, an NDE is more likely in those with previous REM intrusion.” I sometimes lucid dream spontaneously, as I did in the coma-dream. The hallucinations James Randi has reported seeing while awakening from surgery were probably due to REM intrusion.

While I was comatose, Keith told me about his future plans for us, most of which I remembered when I awoke. He would start telling them again, and I would say, basically, “Been there; heard that,” albeit through his doppel­ganger. Yet, at the same time Keith was telling me these things, the doctors were advising him to give up hope that I would ever fully recover. Indeed, they said rehabilitation of any sort would be futile, despite the fact that every time I experienced a new stimulus my wakefulness improved. I can’t help wondering if medically supervised stimulation might have helped me emerge from the PVS sooner—as happened with Kate Bainbridge after she was “found.” It would’ve certainly shortened my recovery. Instead, I was written off as a basket case after the MRI, which, ironically, may have jumpstarted my awareness like a dead car battery. It’s the earliest event that appeared in the coma-dream, and after the stress of the scan, I displayed new hints of arousal.

Today, I have no signs of cognitive impairment, nor have I since that first conscious moment. How embarrassing for the doctors who wrote me off. Indeed, I don’t believe I was even in a coma when I regained consciousness. The comatose don’t have sleep-wake cycles, which is why their eyes remain closed. So, I was vegetative, but not under the restrictive Merck Manual definition. Ms. Bainbridge wasn’t misdiagnosed; she fit the criteria for PVS. It’s the term that needs revision.

I used to feel sorry for people clinging to the desperate hope that their vegetative loved ones would recover. I still feel sorry for them, but their hope no longer seems so hopeless to me. I worry that life-and-death decisions are being made based on inadequate testing and incomplete knowledge. Ms. Bainbridge and others who were in the same situation have expressed similar concerns. Nurses gently suggested to my mother that my quality of life was poor, which she took as a hint that I should eventually be taken off life support.

Vegetables rarely write articles, however. My recovery is still ongoing—I was so deconditioned after the long period of complete inactivity I could barely lift my head—but my quality of life is excellent. In fact, I feel an increased sense of purpose and self-confidence. Though I don’t believe my recovery was a gift from God, I do view my second chance as a gift.

And speaking of gifts, last Christmas, Keith and I walked into the ICU with a gift basket to thank the medical personnel who saved my life. Some of them didn’t recognize me upright. On the basket, we taped a collage of pictures taken during our strength-building walks. Many of the ICU workers cried; some said my recovery was a miracle. But it was no act of God that saved my life—it was science. Massive doses of antibiotics scrubbed the Legionella from my system like an antivirus program (or should I say antibacterial program?), halting my septic shock. A respirator and dialysis bought my failing organs time, and they gradually came back online. And, after six weeks, my brain finally rebooted. The human body is a marvelously evolved machine, even though, with my bad back, I often wonder if bipedalism was such a good idea.

The doctors and nurses taking care of me were responsible for giving me this second chance, and for that I’m obviously grateful. But maybe we should be giving more respect to the amazing resilience of the human brain and be more humble about the limits of our knowledge about it. And while we’re at it, let’s not underestimate the boundless powers of imagination, where polar bear cubs churn ice cream with Big Wheels and where flying somewhere over the rainbow doesn’t require an out-of-body experience.

References

Blanke, Olaf, and Shahar Arzy. 2005. The out-of-body experience: Disturbed self-processing at the temporo-parietal junction. Neuroscientist 11(1): 16–24.

Finns, Joseph J., and Nicolas D. Schiff. 2010. In the blink of the mind’s eye. Hastings Center Report 40(3): 21–23.

Maiese, Kenneth. 2014. Vegetative state and minimally conscious state. Merck Manual Professional Version. Online at http://www.merckmanuals.com/​professional/​neurologic-disorders/​coma-and-impaired-consciousness/vegetative-state-and-minimally-conscious-state.

Monti, Martin M., Audrey Vanhaudenhuyse, Martin R. Coleman, et al. 2010. Willful modulation of brain activity in disorders of consciousness. New England Journal of Medicine 362: 579–589.

Naci, Lorina, Rhondri Cusack, Mimma Anello, et al. 2014. A common neural code for similar conscious experiences in different individuals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 111(39): 14277–14282.

Nelson, Kevin R., Michelle Mattingly, Sherman A. Lee, et al. 2006. Does the arousal system contribute to near death experience? Neurology 66(7): 1003–1009.

Owen, Adrian M., Martin R. Coleman, M. Boly, et al. 2006. Detecting awareness in the vegetative state. Science 313(5792): 1402.

Topics: near death experience
Subjects: Parapsychology

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MojoHand - wrong!

Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,305
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.