-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Ordered a blue printed M700 LA from PTG and it is coming with a stock Remington trigger. Is there anything inherently wrong with the new Remington triggers or are people changing them out just due to personal preference? The one I have on a Remington M700VS seems to work fine.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
12 I'm not familiar w/the new trigger but there are an inordinate amount of members pulling it to use something else...usually a Timney. The older triggers are quite satisfactory if you can set them properly or change the spring...and them set them. Lots of guys will come along w/their opinion. powdr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can be happy with 3# and the shape, they will get there.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 12Oclock
Ordered a blue printed M700 LA from PTG and it is coming with a stock Remington trigger. Is there anything inherently wrong with the new Remington triggers or are people changing them out just due to personal preference? The one I have on a Remington M700VS seems to work fine.
"Inherently"?? Well, yeah, it's a Remington trigger; probably the most recalled item in firearm history..

Originally Posted by powdr
12 I'm not familiar w/the new trigger but there are an inordinate amount of members pulling it to use something else...usually a Timney.
I am - and yes, they do...

YMMV

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I love Timney's and have replaced all the old 700/721 triggers around here with them. Because. I had one that got "tricked" twice. Both times while hunting years ago. The first time I flipped off the safety and the round went over the bucks back. I thought It was my fault. Next day the round went between the antlers. Touch the trigger and flip off the safety and she would go bang. None of the other two did it but I never trusted them again since who could tell when they would start doing it from crud etc.. I was hoping the problem had been fixed since the trigger pull weight, crispness etc. is usually pretty good. My thought was to save a buck on a hunting rifle if they were now safe.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I put one of the new triggers (XMP)on one of my "F" class rifles (not a Remington action) with the intention of replacing it as soon as I got a replacement. It is set at 1 1/4 pounds, I can slam the bolt all I want, and the safety even works. I don't think I'll replace it for now. GD

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't remember reading anywhere, about exactly what Remington changed in the new trigger to make it safer, so to speak. I know they changed the trigger pull weight screw location. I have read that an after market spring may be needed to get the trigger pull below 3#.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a dozen or so Rem 700s, all with factory triggers. Most are custom made rifles. Some ore old style, some new style. They are set at 3# and work fine for my hunting and varmint shooting.

NRA Patron
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes, I know, 20 million Rem 700 can't be wrong. I have a barn full of upside down antlers that agree. I was only wondering what people though of the newest trigger. Experiences with it etc. Building a new rifle and the action comes with a Rem trigger.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes, I know, 20 million Rem 700 can't be wrong. I have a barn full of upside down antlers that agree. I was only wondering what people though of the newest trigger. Experiences with it etc. Building a new rifle and the action comes with a Rem trigger.

Between the X-Mark and the X-mark Pro triggers on Remingtons I have bought six rifles with them..Here is my experience. The First one decided to go from #4 to #16 all by itself overnight.....the second, an X-Mark Pro with adjusting screw literally broke off at the screw before the rifle was ever fired.
The other four got pulled off the rifle immediately, 2 hit the trash can and I sold two to guys that actually asked for them! ( A fool and his money....)

I replaced all with old style Walker triggers because Ive never had, or seen ( in 22 years in the gun biz at a Remington Authorized Service Center) a problem with them.

YMMV

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ingwe

Between the X-Mark and the X-mark Pro triggers on Remingtons I have bought six rifles with them..Here is my experience. The First one decided to go from #4 to #16 all by itself overnight.....the second, an X-Mark Pro with adjusting screw literally broke off at the screw before the rifle was ever fired.
The other four got pulled off the rifle immediately, 2 hit the trash can and I sold two to guys that actually asked for them! ( A fool and his money....)

I replaced all with old style Walker triggers because Ive never had, or seen ( in 22 years in the gun biz at a Remington Authorized Service Center) a problem with them.

YMMV
Sorry - I just HADDA mess with ya... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 700's, 721's,722's, and 7's over a dozen total.

The only rifle I've had trouble with on the trigger is an after market trigger someone installed and I bought it. An idiot evidently thought he could adjust the trigger. It's just BS. People that do the change have to be elitists. "I have one better than you type of people."

The problem with Walker Remington triggers is that they are user adjustable. When an idiot has a chance he'll screw it up and then blame it on the trigger.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (2500HD, 21, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 12,284 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,077
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.