-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a number of places in Alaska, not usual fault areas either, where there are old beach lines high in the tundra. In light of the most recent "sky is falling" type stuff, I wonder what people thought back then after they considered which spirits they had offended? My guess, based on the fact that there are remnants of old campfires and burned critter bones, is that they moved over a bit and continued making their lives.

I also don't buy the "we can fix this" line of thinking either because it relies on a "we did this" rational. While there is no question that humans, caribou, and whales all affect the environment, there is no reason to believe that it throws things off balance. At least, not until there is an over-population of a species. And there is only one cure for over-population, a cure that nature provides.

It's pretty obvious that humans will one day overpopulate the earth unless that cure arises. In the mean time, I don't think we should stop living, nor do I think it is our place to "play God" and assume we can or should correct something which is quite probably well beyond our control. But we should be prepared to adapt.

But it's easier to sell the idea of fixing the problem because that assumes we can continue going in the same direction with the same technology, the same plastic houses, the same free time, etc. It's a lot harder to sell the idea of adapting because that implies a need to return to more basic times, less technology, retaining older methods and ways of doing things. Does anyone believe Gen X can survive that?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by whelennut
Mark Twain said, "Everyone complains about the weather but nobody does anything about it."
Rost 495 could trade places with me. I am tired of the cold winters, I hope it does warm up.
I only had to run the snowblower a few times this winter.

Don't worry, soon I"m heading further north than you are.

For those that can't deal with 90, hasn't been a month every that hasn't seen 90 numerous times. Sucks to be 90 on Christmas day. Probably sucks to be -40 on Christmas day though too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'm the same way. Heat just zaps me. If its 90 degrees in the open sun, I'm done...time to go in and take a nap in front of the fan

My working temps are say 30 - 84.

Outside of that range and I'm worthless.

I can work in colder temps but I'm so bundled up I can't move.
i love taking a nap on the beach in 100 dg weather.

I wish I could... those days are long past. I try not to go to the coast if its too hot for a hooded sweatshirt...thats my favorite temp down there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Read an article a while back on Global warming[not climate change].
It said that by 2050 the 1 degree uptick in temps would create starvation in an additional 37k inhabitants. The very same article stated that longer growing seasons in the northern and southern climes would allow for more food production from those areas?????

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
The rain in Houston had nothing to do with "manmade" climate change.

Thats been happening as long as folks can recall.

Thats right...Stick your head in the sand and keep saying "Its Been Raining here for ever!" No question your right but the severity, the increased regularity of the sever weather and the amount of property damage is where the issue lies. You can pretend the fire is not that hot but when your house burns down around your butt your still going to burn along with it!

Well, for starters I grew up in Houston, did you? Yep 51 years isn't history, but I damn sure know that it doesn't flood any more or less overall than it ever did down there....

Wonder where all the water went that created seashells on our property, and we are way further in that Houston from the salt.... about 125 miles at the closest point.

Thinking out loud here... humans can create issues, no doubt. But to blame us for normal weather pattern changes is nuts.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I see the moron from Alaska continues to impress with his stupidity. Now he believes in man-made global warming too. Say, how's that caribou hunting business going?

To imply that we as a species have no impact on our surrounding is well.....you fill in the blank. As a person living in the north where we see the effects of climatic change and running a business that relies upon said climate I can safely say we are doing well but due to a serious shift in the Western Arctic Caribou Herd-WACH we are seeing a serious impact to both the herd and the ability to do business as well. Our 2016 season was booked solid back in November of 2015 and we are 50% booked for 2017 as well. I am glad you are interested in how we are doing, I respect your interest! Summer fishing and rafting is kicking but as well.

I know that you are not much of an outdoorsman and rarely get your fingers off of your "Keyboard" If you ever want to learn how to hunt or fish look us up!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone who tries to anticipate what caribou will do from year to year is, "well ............ you fill in the blank."

You should have heard the way those teens and young 20s proclaimed the sky was falling when they all of a sudden showed up for 6 years....and then they quit coming around.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ya know, the fact I quit watching news, for the most part, 2 or so years ago makes more sense every day.

There just isn't much out there that makes any common sense.

While I could do without TV, there are still a few things on that I like to watch now and then. Not many, but a few.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Clues, they are out there, but not everyone looks for them or can read them.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Yup...The Village of Noatak is seeing the most radical shift. for years the bou walked into town and died right on the meat racks but today the herd has moved 150 miles to the east and Noatak no longer harvests those critters.

Why have they shifted is anyones guess but as we see ice lenses collapse, thermalkarst release huge amounts methane and increased icing events one has to ask hummmmmm wonder what is going on???

You fill in the blank!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We live in a time of "data by suggestion" which doesn't help matters either. Then to add to the problem, we have "science by democracy" -(as long as a large number believe it, it's true). This makes real science difficult to ascertain, and the consequent decisions even more so.

Are things changing? Of course they are. Is there is a huge or even significant trend one way or another? That's hard to say given a distinct lack of baseline data to compare to and the din of data and results coming through very questionably "objective" filters.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Caribou have been shifting their grounds ever since people started observing where they hang out and travel. Many years ago (back when I was a wildlife biology major) the shifts were attributed, based on some evidence, to over-browsing as herd populations rose. Then the herd would move or crash, and shifts would occur again.

Personally, I kind of like the idea of global warming, from what I've seen of it so far, regardless of the reason behind it. Warming means I won't have to retire to a crowded state like Arizona, because Montana will be warm enough for a geezer even in January.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I won't have to retire to a crowded state like Arizona, because Montana will be warm enough for a geezer even in January.

I think its the cold the keeps people away from Montana. Warm it up there and the crowds will come.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yes,

Shoveling snow sucks.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Mother Nature is going to do what Mother Nature wants to do.

Unfortunately man's ego is so great we believe in things like being able to stop Mother Nature from doing what she wishes and rewards after death.

There ain't nothing man can do to the earth that Mother Nature can't 'fix'. Sure we won't like the answer, but she'll 'fix' it nonetheless.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Caribou have been shifting their grounds ever since people started observing where they hang out and travel. Many years ago (back when I was a wildlife biology major) the shifts were attributed, based on some evidence, to over-browsing as herd populations rose. Then the herd would move or crash, and shifts would occur again.

Personally, I kind of like the idea of global warming, from what I've seen of it so far, regardless of the reason behind it. Warming means I won't have to retire to a crowded state like Arizona, because Montana will be warm enough for a geezer even in January.

Economist studying the issue have determined that each year there are more death attributed to cold weather then warm weather. Global warming could actually save lives and increase the amount of arable land.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The informed people are not concerned because it's not happening.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Yes,

Shoveling snow sucks.

Drilling a new well and switching from Center Pivot irrigation to dry land farming sucks more!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
We live in a time of "data by suggestion" which doesn't help matters either. Then to add to the problem, we have "science by democracy" -(as long as a large number believe it, it's true). This makes real science difficult to ascertain, and the consequent decisions even more so.

Are things changing? Of course they are. Is there is a huge or even significant trend one way or another? That's hard to say given a distinct lack of baseline data to compare to and the din of data and results coming through very questionably "objective" filters.

Choosing the Sarah Palin method of looking at anything involving big words or numbers is a real problem as well. Choosing to be ignorant is a personal choice but the rest of us are not compelled to be forced to make the same stupid choices!

Go Bill Nye!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone who is blind to their own inherent ignorance cannot be helped much. Certainly, polling the masses for your insight deficits doesn't bridge the problem. Science demands constant questioning, not blind adherence.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 1234, 52 invisible), 1,701 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,041
Posts18,521,105
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.