-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Was just at the range today and on my last round in the mag I had what I assume was a slamfire. The case was sheared off and the LCI on the side of the gun was blown out. Not having much experience with these guns, is this something I should give Ruger a call about or just replace the LCI with one from TandemKross like I was going to anyways? It doesn't appear that anything else was messed up. I know it's due for a cleaning but I wasn't expecting that. Any thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Odd. I'd be tempted to send it back to Ruger so they could check everything out.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, as would I.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Had that happen on mine a couple of years ago. Called Ruger and all they said was we will send you a new LCI or you can ship the gun to us.
Installed the new LCI and 5000 rounds later still working just fine.

Swifty
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Had that happen on mine a couple of years ago. Called Ruger and all they said was we will send you a new LCI or you can ship the gun to us.
Installed the new LCI and 5000 rounds later still working just fine.

Same thing here. Ruger shipped me a new LCI and everything been good since. I had attributed it to the ammo and called Federal. They had me ship the unused portion of the ammo box to them (at their expense), and then they shipped me a case of new ammo.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never liked that LCI thingy. When they first appeared, I saw an article where the writer claimed to have fired a round by rapping the LCI with something or other. Always made me a bit nervous. Marlin 39s, I believe, have a tiny hole that allows you to check the chamber for brass showing. One easily drilled hole, no extra parts, and no danger. Ruger screwed the pooch on this one, along with the wacky angle for the magazine that makes feeding the first round tricky. Good pistols, but I think a plastic grip frame in the original shape would have been better. I doubt that all that many shooters buy 22/45s for the 1911 grip angle, more likely just the price and weight.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I've never liked that LCI thingy. When they first appeared, I saw an article where the writer claimed to have fired a round by rapping the LCI with something or other.Always made me a bit nervous. Marlin 39s, I believe, have a tiny hole that allows you to check the chamber for brass showing. One easily drilled hole, no extra parts, and no danger. Ruger screwed the pooch on this one, along with the wacky angle for the magazine that makes feeding the first round tricky. Good pistols, but I think a plastic grip frame in the original shape would have been better. I doubt that all that many shooters buy 22/45s for the 1911 grip angle, more likely just the price and weight.

That was a problem with the first LCI design on the MKIII. Ruger redesigned it early on and recalled the originals IIRC. Attempts were made by some to reproduce the problem with the new design, but I have never seen any evidence that anyone has succeeded. It's a very well documented issue that I'm sure you can find the details if you care to search.

I think you're right about the price and weight, but I don't hear complaints from the few owners I know. My only complaint about the LCI is that it's unsightly, but I've come to ignore it (kind of ironic, eh?).

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, it looks cheap. Still think a peephole would have been better, and cheaper, just not tactile.

My only real beef is the first round issue. Thought it mght just be me until I heard a reference to it on a SW22 review.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What exactly is happening with the first round? I didn't notice anything when I was shooting the Lite or the older 22/45. If it's plagued with nose up jams, I could see how a sticky extractor might ignite a round.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I've never liked that LCI thingy. When they first appeared, I saw an article where the writer claimed to have fired a round by rapping the LCI with something or other. Always made me a bit nervous. Marlin 39s, I believe, have a tiny hole that allows you to check the chamber for brass showing. One easily drilled hole, no extra parts, and no danger. Ruger screwed the pooch on this one, along with the wacky angle for the magazine that makes feeding the first round tricky. Good pistols, but I think a plastic grip frame in the original shape would have been better. I doubt that all that many shooters buy 22/45s for the 1911 grip angle, more likely just the price and weight.

I agree, IMO the grip angle is correct but its alot thinner and comes close to full suck. Pistol is accurate and reliable but it isnt near the pistol of a MK ll of similar size.
My grand daughter was shooting the thing when the ooop's happened, do know it was in the middle of a string.
She wasnt hurt and was really sorry for breaking it. grin

Swifty
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Problem solved. Yanked out the LCI and replaced with a TK insert. While in there I dropped in their hammer bushing, trigger, and a VQ sear. Added the +1 pro mag bumpers also. I like it better already.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What the hell is the LCI ??? School me please.

I've got one of the Ruger 22/45 MKIII Lite Models, and have yet to have any problems with it.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I've got one of the Ruger 22/45 MKIII Lite Models, and have yet to have any problems with it.

I think it means loaded chamber indicator,
it's just more tactical and all SWATTY to use abbreviations for everything.

Like:
BUG
CCW
ECD ad nauseum.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mikeone

Like:
BUG
CCW
ECD ad nauseum.

Or, it's just easier to type abbreviations when hunting and pecking.

Most MK3 owners know what the LCI is. Can't blame a guy for assuming that.

What I want to know is how did we determine that the LCI was at fault?

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

Like:
BUG
CCW
ECD ad nauseum.

I don't see myself as "swatty" or "tactical", more like practical I guess. I just don't see the point in typing out loaded chamber indicator when the widely known abbreviation LCI will suffice. There is lots of stuff on here that I don't know about and I utilize this handy tool called google to look it up if I don't feel like asking.

Originally Posted by FreeMe

Like:
BUG
CCW
ECD ad nauseum.

Or, it's just easier to type abbreviations when hunting and pecking.

Most MK3 owners know what the LCI is. Can't blame a guy for assuming that.

What I want to know is how did we determine that the LCI was at fault?

No hunting and pecking for me, I just took the easy route.

The LCI may not have been the only issue as the gun needed a good cleaning also. I do think it was causing jams in the gun though. Now that it is missing I haven't had any issues. It could be a coincidence but I doubt it. I know it's not a very scientific answer but the gun just flat runs better now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All's well that ends well. Just wondered if you had spotted a smoking gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Thanks for the replies. I was racking my brain on What in the heck the LCI was. cool

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (17Hunter, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 74 invisible), 2,999 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,976
Posts18,480,799
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.