Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I found a Model 17 6" barrel in a shop locally for $399. Bluing is worn on part of the cylinder and near the muzzle end on the left side of the barrel but there is no rust or pitting and other wise it looks well taken care of.

I'm thinking about getting it but don't know much about the value of these guns. Checking a few websites $399 seems like a deal but not sure.

Just looking for some opinions. Thanks, Mike

Last edited by MikeByrge; 04/23/16.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
$399 is a deal. If you want an M17, buy it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't understand this price check business. If you want a gun and it's for sale and it's what you want, what do you care about what anyone thinks about the price? You determine what it is worth to you.

I have friends who spend 6 months and 500 bucks in gas trying to save 500 bucks on the price of a pick up truck taking a chance the whole time that the truck they are driving is going to quit and leave them standing on the road side somewhere out in the boonies. I don't get it. Then they come to me and brag about the good deal they got.

Do you want the gun or do you want a deal? If you want the gun, pay the man and get it. If you want a deal, good luck with that.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mike,

You should buy that!
Good price on a classic S&W.

WFR

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mike,

Go buy that Smith. 17's are great revolvers and that is a great price.

RS

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MikeByrge
I found a Model 17 6" barrel in a shop locally for $399. Bluing is worn on part of the cylinder and near the muzzle end on the left side of the barrel but there is no rust or pitting and other wise it looks well taken care of.

I'm thinking about getting it but don't know much about the value of these guns. Checking a few websites $399 seems like a deal but not sure.

That's a good deal, assuming it's mechanically in good shape, and not reblued. Even if it was reblued, it would be priced right. More so if not reblued, though.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think that every man who appreciates the mechanical excellence of a finely crafted double action revolver and the utility of the .22LR cartridge should own a Model 17. The price sounds fair. I'd buy it.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, buy it quick for that price!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MikeByrge

Buy.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BobWills
I don't understand this price check business. If you want a gun and it's for sale and it's what you want, what do you care about what anyone thinks about the price? You determine what it is worth to you.

I have friends who spend 6 months and 500 bucks in gas trying to save 500 bucks on the price of a pick up truck taking a chance the whole time that the truck they are driving is going to quit and leave them standing on the road side somewhere out in the boonies. I don't get it. Then they come to me and brag about the good deal they got.

Do you want the gun or do you want a deal? If you want the gun, pay the man and get it. If you want a deal, good luck with that.

Are you a Texan?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
any mod 17 under 5 bills needs bought unless it is AFU.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If it is mechanicaly good and locks up tight you won't regret the purchase.

One of my favorite 22's...

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BobWills

Hmmm maybe some people want to make sure they aren't paying way too much for something? especially if it's a gun that they may not be familiar with. I just asked the same question on a savage 99. I don't see how it's a big deal.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
MikeByrge: I think "I" would buy that pistol at the price and the condition you describe!
Especially with the 6" barrel.
I have a pair of Smith & Wesson Model 17's both with the 8 3/8" barrels.
I would love to have a 6" barrel Model 17 for carrying and shooting afield.
Both Smith & Wesson and Colt rimfire revolvers in 22 L.R. have greatly appreciated in value over the last 4 to 6 years.
So it is somewhat iffy to place a hard value on that pistol they keep appreciating.
If you bought it and did not like it I would venture that you could sell it fairly quickly for only a 40 or 50 dollar loss - at most.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not to brag but I paid $400 for one and $500 for the other. I feel slightly guilty...

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I saw one at the lgs for $900+ the other day. Makes the $400 gun sound like a pretty good deal.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 1badf350, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,731
Posts18,535,099
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.