Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
ba5592 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am looking at investing in a .300 WSM and have narrowed it down to these two options. I have an 85 Finnlite in .270 WSM and really like it, but the XBolt is not quite as expensive. Which and why? Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you like the Sako, why take a chance? It only hurts for a little while.

Personally, I find the metro-sexual styling of a lot of Brownings, including the X Bolt, to be a bit bizarre.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/22/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There's a reason the Browning is less expensive. Get the Sako.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
This site is full of Sako guy's so no matter what rifle you compare to a Sako the other rifle will lose ( a pile of very vocal Kimber guy's on this site too which I find hard to understand givin Kimbers track record) .....I do understand the Sako fans as I have owned around a dozen or so brand new 75/85's over the years and they all shot fine but some of the standard action rifles did not eject properly ( most would hit the bottom of the scope) however I have also owned several Browning X-Bolt rifles and none of My Brownings ever had any function isssues at all and as I have posted on here before the most accurate rifles right out of the box I have ever owned have been Brownings and as you said they are cheaper to buy which is a plus in My book......I am going to go against the grain here and advise you to go with the Browning.......Good luck......Hb

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Always had good luck with browning. Never had one that didn't shoot. My x-bolt gray stalker is one of my most accurate rifles and very easy to carry also. You could spend $500 less on the browning and spend the money on a real good scope. Just my $0.02.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Another vote for the Browning. I have an XBolt Stainless Stalker in .280 that has been perfect right out of the box. I also have a Sako A7 in .300 WSM that took a lot of tinkering to get right. It's always been very accurate with a smooth action that feeds well. The problem has been the common Sako issue of brass ejecting up into the scope. Had to try a bunch of different scope and ring combos and my only solution was to use high rings and a Leupold scope (due to the adjustment caps that fit more flush than other brands). I didn't want to use high rings, but had no other workable solution.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Alex hit the nail on the head why I dont have My Sako's anymore, I had to use high ringmounts and it never was comfortable for Me.........Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

Yes, cry once

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I recently bought a Sako 85 Finnlight chambered for a 7mm Rem Mag. When I buy a rifle, it's mostly about feel. I handled a fair number of new bolt action rifles, the Finnlight felt good, the action was smooth, the safety set up was intuitive. The Finns have a good reputation for making out-of-the box accurate factory rifles. I'm still getting my scope sorted out, but we'll see how the rig shoots. I don't have anything bad to say about the Browning. The Sako does have fewer "aftermarket" options. Folks to seem to really like or dislike the tapered dovetail rail. The stock apparently is an improvement over the old one, but I'd eventually put a McMillan on anyway. Probably the biggest knock on Sako is warranty work. People have horror stories about dealing with Beretta, currently Sako's mother ship. You shouldn't need warranty work, but even good factories have bad days. Good luck with whatever you buy.

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both and I'm the last guy who will get hung up on the cost difference between the two. They are both excellent rifles, so it comes down to personal preference between the two. In my experience, the Sako is not more accurate and is not the "better" rifle. That doesn't mean you will form the same opinion or that others are off the mark, but it is my personal opinion. Pick the rifle that feels the best in your hands. I doubt many people on this forum would lay down money on the accuracy of one over the other. I sure wouldn't.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have had numerous Sako 85s and one X-Bolt. Sakos, at least in Canada, are double the cost of an X Bolt. IMO, they are not twice the rifle.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
This site is full of Sako guy's so no matter what rifle you compare to a Sako the other rifle will lose .....

Not on this thread grin

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Oh its not over yet My man, they will show up sooner or later....Ha!..................Hb

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The only rifle I ever saw lock up was an XBolt. Bolt locked closed at the shot with factory ammo. Just saying.

I have 3 Sakos and they all are very accurate.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

Yep.

Sako vs. Browning is not much of a comparison.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If you like the Sako, why take a chance? It only hurts for a little while.

Personally, I find the metro-sexual styling of a lot of Brownings, including the X Bolt, to be a bit bizarre.

My feelings as well. I have a couple of Sakos and they are flawless in performance and easy to look at. "Metro-sexual" is a good descriptor for the Browning style these days. I only own one Browning, a Belgian .22 auto. I've seen and handled a lot of X-Bolts and BLR's. The Brownings don't feel good to me and they're hard to look at.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like boots and backpacks, what is a good fit for me and works well, may be an ill fit for you.

Go by what you prefer. But for me, Sako must have used my twin brother when they came up with the dimensions and ergonomics for that rifle. If they had a custom shop and a master fitting service, the rifle would differ very little from what comes out of the regular production box. So in my case, the rifle was worthy of its expense. It fits, runs, and performs like a custom or semi-custom that would cost even more.

Last edited by GaryVA; 04/26/16.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've owned both and would go with the X Bolt. My 300WSM shoots amazing little groups and it is fairly light and nimble.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The only rifle I ever saw lock up was an XBolt. Bolt locked closed at the shot with factory ammo. Just saying.

I have 3 Sakos and they all are very accurate.

I had to hammer the bolt open on a Ruger 308 once, and I never had it before or after with that rifle.

The ammo was some factory Hirtenberger factory stuff, and something wasn't right with it.

Point being, that a one-time occurrence means about nothing.

I have had a few Browning bolt rifles, and they all functioned well, and were maybe the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles I've had.

I'd prefer a more classic stock style myself, but the Sako synthetics don't horn me up much either, and having to replace the stock on a $1500 Finnlite is ludicrous. I guess if you want a Sako with a good synthetic stock you have to pony up $2800 for a Carbonlite sick

In any event, I wouldn't take a flyer on an 85 given the ejection problems that guys are having (and Beretta won't fix). I hate a scope sitting way up high.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ba5592
I am looking at investing in a .300 WSM and have narrowed it down to these two options. I have an 85 Finnlite in .270 WSM and really like it, but the XBolt is not quite as expensive. Which and why? Thanks!

No contest.

Because one is a Sako.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,927
Posts18,479,845
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.