Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

Last edited by Reloder28; 04/27/16.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some good info in there!

Thanks for posting

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So far Idaho has only 1 small population of pigs, located near C J Strike Dam along the Snake River. They were most certainly planted 15 to 20 years ago. They're located many miles from any other population and couldn't have possibly migrated in.
While few in number now, the IDFG still wants them gone before they spread. They can be hunted any time. They've tried trapping them but like anywhere else, they'll figure out the traps once a few are caught.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
nothing I did not already know. Hogs have been a real issue here in Florida, Georgia and other parts of the South for many years. Feral pigs have been around since the Spanish days.
I kill everyone I can. Mama, daddy, and all the babies.

Sam......

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They've tried trapping them but like anywhere else, they'll figure out the traps once a few are caught.

Sure will.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
If you don't have them now you will. If your a farmer I would advised you to start shooting them as soon as you see them. They multiply like rabbits and the later you wait the worse it will get. You can't imagine the damage they can do in one night.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Yep, they plowed up my ATV trail one night. Next morning I am bopping along at 0400 and tail over tea kettle I went. The drop off was at least 18".

Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
When I lived in central Ga. 30 years ago we hunted wild hogs. We had a big 1,500 acre deer lease in the Oconee River swamps and the place had lots of hogs.
It was a real bonus for me, while deer hunting, to shoot a 120 pound sow.
Damn that wild hog is some good eating.
We would get together on a Saturday, put a wild hog ham in the smoker, and listen to the Ga. Bulldogs and drink beer all day. That afternoon get a few nurses over from the hospital for dinner guests, man, that was a good time.

Wild hog is the best meat I have ever eaten. Less fat than domestic pork.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
We have them in OK and populations are rising. The gestation period of a pig is 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days. In one year a pig born on, say 1 March, could have 2 litters of their own. Kill'em all.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We gotem and they are a problem. In the river bottom, they will root up corn seeds. Go right down the row, where the corn was planted and root out corn. Not uncommon to see 100 yd strips all over a field like that.

In the hills, where I live, they are like vacuum cleaners, when the acorns fall. A deer doesnt stand a chance getting an acorn, if a sounder finds them first. They will clean several acres a night, of acorns.

They have hog killing contest, several times in the late winter or early spring. Fellows with dogs have these contest and award prizes for the largest hog killed and/or the most swine killed/caught. I know 2 fellows that killed 26 hogs/pigs one day, about a month ago, and came in 2nd, in the contest. The winning pair killed over 30, that day.

What I dont understand is this... where I grew up, we had hogs in 1 creek bottom and from what the oldtimers told me, the hogs had been in that bottom, forever. We wouldnt see them every year, but probably 1 out of 3 years. They never were a problem deer hunting. It was this way for 20 years and then all of a sudden, there were hogs everywhere. It took another 20 years for the hogs to migrate? from where I grew up to where I now live. What changed? Why were there hogs in 1 bottom for years and years and then all of a sudden the rapid expansion?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We have hogs around us and have for years and years.

They have never been on our property though. No clue why.

I try to take care of them for a lady about 8 miles from us. When they are there, I often shoot buckshot into a group of up to 30.. and then it takes generally another 2 months of shooting pressure, all at night, NEVER see em during the day, and then they might be gone for 6 months.

But that population is supposedly increasing and spreading slowly our way.

But there will never be enough habitat to support numbers like in south Texas and the hill country IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rost, I hope your right about not enough habitat to support the numbers, but...

it wont take many hogs to destroy the habitat, you do have.

These hogs have changed just about everything for the hunter. I never have been one to feed deer to hunt them, but I did like to hunt where deer were eating acorns. Now with the hog problem, that strategy is almost gone. Deer numbers are way down.

My advice, FWIW- kill everyone you can.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh I will kill em all. I've just never seen one or sign of one on our across our 100 acres since about 79 as I grew up.
They've been across the road on both sides of me since the mid 80s that i know of.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,246
Posts18,486,192
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.