[Linked Image]
Until loading has been completed.

Last edited by simonkenton7; 04/29/16.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Some dock workers just do no have any sense on humour.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago a local box factory had a truck at the dock loading. It was built so there was a forklift ramp on the inside coming up straight into the truck. The trucker driver thought the loading was complete and he pulled forward to shut the doors, just as the forklift driver came up the ramp with the last pallet. It was a big pallet and he couldn't see around it so he drove off the dock. He got banged up pretty bad.
They needed one of those with a lock...and the key in the forklift drivers pocket.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yeah saw a guy lose his arm due to that. Truck driver was in a hurry to get home and he eased away from the dock while the fork lift was backing out. Forklift went down then flipped sideways and crushed the drivers elbow flat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where I load, driver is on the dock until loading is complete. Lots of stories of trucks pulling out with the forklift still on the trailer.

Many places require the driver to turn in the keys, but that's not very effective as all of them have a second set in their pocket.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
given the skid marks on the yellow line, it looks like someone left with one of those on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Some years ago a local box factory had a truck at the dock loading. It was built so there was a forklift ramp on the inside coming up straight into the truck. The trucker driver thought the loading was complete and he pulled forward to shut the doors, just as the forklift driver came up the ramp with the last pallet. It was a big pallet and he couldn't see around it so he drove off the dock. He got banged up pretty bad.
They needed one of those with a lock...and the key in the forklift drivers pocket.

I worked in a box factory years ago where a pissed off fork lift driver decided to quit.
He was loading a boxcar, and with room for two more loads, he backed the lift truck into the car, climbed over the load and punched the time clock.
Took a while to recover the fork lift.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For want of a couple of load locks..... wink

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I almost never used load locks. Nine rolls of paper standing on end on rubber mats and weighing over three tons each will not be stopped by load locks.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL!, no, that's what airbags are for.....

Still, this guy would be picking up a lot less carts if he'd have put a couple of load locks or a logistics bar across....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A place I worked while in college had 2 switch truck drivers fired for pulling away with trailers while someone still in them on a forklift.

Fortunately they both locked them down before coming out the back.

Had one fired for turning a trailer over due to hot dogging in the yard with it raised all the way up.

Had one fired for leaving for lunch and drinking beer.

I see a pattern here:D

I worked for security and had to move trailers at night due to nobody else knew how to operate the truck or back trailers.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE
given the skid marks on the yellow line, it looks like someone left with one of those on.

smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
First time I got loaded at Domino Sugar in Baltimore, they locked me in to the dock, put an airline lock on, put a giant stop sign (windshield height) in a hole directly in front of the tractor, made me wait inside, and took "my keys". I asked, isn't this a bit of overkill?

They told me about drivers getting P.O.'d and leaving, running over the stop sign and dragging the tires... whistle

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
One of our forklift drivers was decapitated as he was pulling a load out and the truck driver pulled away from the dock at the same time. Mormon with 8 children. My company has automatic wheel chocks and brake line locks now at all their distribution centers.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've been one of those drivers leaving whether they were ready or not. If they don't pay detention I don't wait. Grocery warehouses are notorious for not paying detention and I just refuse all grocery freight. I've had to call the law twice to have locks removed.

β€˜TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Scott F

That was the warehouses fault. I can assure you that the driver is not allowed on the dock. They gave him the green light and told him to pull out. You can't close the doors until you clear the other trailers so he's pulling far enough forward to secure the load and close the doors. The warehouse loaded it so poorly it couldn't be safely pulled from the dock.

β€˜TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had several places where they'd put lockouts on the gladhands on the trailer air lines.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." οΏ½ Wesley Pruden

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Daveinjax

That was the warehouses fault. I can assure you that the driver is not allowed on the dock. They gave him the green light and told him to pull out. You can't close the doors until you clear the other trailers so he's pulling far enough forward to secure the load and close the doors. The warehouse loaded it so poorly it couldn't be safely pulled from the dock.

Yep. Give me a green light and I am moving.

Thank God I am retired and don't have to mess with traffic any more. It was bad enough with a 80,000 pound rig. I drove a 26 to 28 wheel 105,500 pound rig and my loads were just sitting on little rubber mats.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is the most aggressive chock I have ever had put on my truck. This thing would obviously blow 2 or 3 tires if you tried to drive off. Can't see in the pic but it is secured with a padlock.

And, I don't blame them.
At most terminals there are no chocks. Obviously there is a risk of a dumb ass driver pulling away while the fork lift is still working.
About 1 in 20 terminals requires chocks, usually these are rubber not steel.
About 1 in 40 terminals, that I go to here in the southeast has one of those arms that stick out and lock the axle.
Very, very seldom does the driver have to get out of the truck and hand keys over to a dock worker, about 1 in 300 terminals.

Last edited by simonkenton7; 04/29/16.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,647
Posts18,474,558
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.