Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have a LH Model 70 with a serial number G3001XXX. Could anyone help with a date? This gun has been hotly contested over in the LH section. Everyone is wondering why it does not have a feather weight stock.
Thanks

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very late production USRAC (meaning end of USRAC's production). I'm assuming it is a WSM. Also, as some of us know, the last couple years of USRAC production, the QC wasn't really that good. Your rifle falls within that time span (2005-2006)...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
BSA, thanks for help with the dates. Also thanks for throwing in the comment about quality, i am sure that will really help with my sale.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sinistral
...thanks for throwing in the comment about quality, i am sure that will really help with my sale.

WTF?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey OP, being honest is bad now.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I suspect the comments are more about answering a question on a gun for sale that was not asked.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA, thanks for help with the dates. Also thanks for throwing in the comment about quality, i am sure that will really help with my sale.

I'm not saying your rifle is a POS. Just stating that some guys have had issues with the late production USRAC Winchester model 70's. The WSM's were introduced in 2001 and did have their issues, as did Winchester at that time. Your rifle may be an excellent rifle and not have an egg shaped chamber or scope base screw holes drilled off center of the axis of the bore. However, the extractor is probably a good one and made by Williams, as they had the contract back then. You know if your rifle is a good one and I'm sure you can advertise it as such. You will damn sure find out if you pass off a POS rifle here in the classifieds as an excellent one. That kind of stuff has a way of biting you in the azz, as I've seen it happen here in the classifieds. Good luck with the sale of your rifle and I hope it is all that you describe it as.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had a FNA3G (M70 action built into a sniper rifle by Winchester's parent company FN) that was made right at the end of New Haven production. It shot a solid 6" groups at 100yds regardless of ammo. It took me over two years but I finally got FN to replace it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by reelman
I had a FNA3G (M70 action built into a sniper rifle by Winchester's parent company FN) that was made right at the end of New Haven production. It shot a solid 6" groups at 100yds regardless of ammo. It took me over two years but I finally got FN to replace it.

Reelman, this goes to show you that any of them can be bad. One of my favorite rifles was an FN. The rifle was worked over by FN and badged as an FN, but was just a glorified USRAC model 70. Of course the barrel was made in the FN Herstal plant, but the receiver came out of the Winchester plant in New Haven. That was one of the best/smoothest rifles I've owned. I used it for centerfire competition and it was damn accurate. It was also chambered for 300 WSM, as the OP's rifle is. Again, I'm not trying to discredit the OP's rifle. If it were every bit as good as my old FN PBR XP, I'd be on it like a fat kid after an ice cream truck..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here are the cold hard realities of the late run new haven model 70's the QC went out the [bleep] window.. You can believe kenmi all you want about the late runs being better made but the desirable new haven classics are the 5 digits and 6 digits upto about 350,xxx. I have a 7 digit rh in the same sn range as your and whoever hammered forged that barrel that day found out they lost thier job cause you could see the tooling marks in it it was an honest 4 inch rifle.. I sent it off had it rebored and it shoots fine.. I have also had 7 digits sn 249xxx that shot phenominal.. As far as sn after 1992 it gets real sketchy at one time you could call Winchester they tell you but not any more.. But your rifle was more than likely a last yr production rifle as my friend BSA has pointed out.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'm not saying your rifle is a POS. Just stating that some guys have had issues with the late production USRAC Winchester model 70's. The WSM's were introduced in 2001 and did have their issues, as did Winchester at that time. Your rifle may be an excellent rifle and not have an egg shaped chamber or scope base screw holes drilled off center of the axis of the bore. However, the extractor is probably a good one and made by Williams, as they had the contract back then. You know if your rifle is a good one and I'm sure you can advertise it as such. You will damn sure find out if you pass off a POS rifle here in the classifieds as an excellent one. That kind of stuff has a way of biting you in the azz, as I've seen it happen here in the classifieds. Good luck with the sale of your rifle and I hope it is all that you describe it as.

Good post my friend the two 7 digits I sold the guys wanted to see my groups I sent them the pictures and they bought the rifles. I don't blame guys wanting to see pictures of groups on the 7 digits.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 36 invisible), 1,895 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.