Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Series of six videos, un-freaking-believable.... eek

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How did it start? powdr

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Cause unknown.

Record early snowmelt, high winds, highs in the 90's (??!), too early for green-up, dry woods.

I gotta admire the coolness under fire (literally) of the Canucks in those cars.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've been watching since the day it started, just really big.

SO far not life lost.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That is hell on earth. Video 6 shows lines of cars driving in the darkest pitch black of night you've ever seen, with headlights on. But when they drive out of the smoke, its daytime. Truly insane.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mighty scary stuff fire is!!
Last year we had the large fire here just 25 miles south of me, I ended up close to it evacuating somebodies kennel on my own because they were caught on the other side of the fire and couldn't get through.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495
I've been watching since the day it started, just really big.

SO far not life lost.

One fatality has been reported...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty smokey here in South East Montana today.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For anyone that's interested and remembers fellow 24hr member 'Catnthehat' who lives in Fort McMurry, he & family are alive and well! smile
I got in touch with him last night, says it's looks apocalyptic around there, and he doesn't know if his home is still standing.

That's all I have to report.

[Linked Image]
Keep the Wind in your Face, Sun at your Back, & Silhouette in Shadows
Know guns, know peace, know safety
No guns, no peace, no safety

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice to see you posting again, Elf.
Hope you're doing well and keep checking in.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DesertSandman
For anyone that's interested and remembers fellow 24hr member 'Catnthehat' who lives in Fort McMurry, he & family are alive and well! smile
I got in touch with him last night, says it's looks apocalyptic around there, and he doesn't know if his home is still standing.

That's all I have to report.

Been wondering about him. Relay my best wishes and tell him to make it known if he needs anything. I suspect many here might like to help.

You don't accept PMs?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We went thru this last summer during the Sockeye fire. Didn't know for a few days whether or not we lost our house. We were lucky, it changed our lives for a summer and our landscape for a lot longer. Some of my friends lost everything. All because of one moron with a lighter.

Prayers for these folks. You dont realize how fragile it all is until it is up in flames. I expect there will be a LOT of fires this spring/summer in Alaska and in the North in general due to the mild winter and lack of snow.

Eat moose, burn spruce
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If any of my Canadian friends can use a place to stay for a few days, we have two spare bed rooms in our home here in the Denver, Colorado area. PM for my phone number and address.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Seems like a whole lot of people didn't heed the evacuation warnings. They could have been out of there much sooner.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
That is hell on earth. Video 6 shows lines of cars driving in the darkest pitch black of night you've ever seen, with headlights on. But when they drive out of the smoke, its daytime. Truly insane.

We've been through this twice now locally. Folks driving through the stuff in the daytime and it can be scary.

What some don't get though, smoke means also a lack of O2 and you could literally starve the engine from O2 and kill it not to ever start it again.

I've been through a lot worse in the fire trucks than what they drove through and so far we've been fine. I just pray that the day doesn't come that some of our fire training videos' have shown... the engine dies.

Its another real issue though that we really should, and even though I know better, we still dont, but we really should keep a couple of go bags... jeans, T shirts underwear stuff, toothbrush, dog food, water, MREs and the like in a couple of duffles along with contact info, phone chargers and so on....

When it comes, it comes damn fast.

I saw a video early on of a woman boo hooing that they wouldn't let her take anything.... hurry and go. Sometimes its like that, you should be thankful that you are still alive really.

I"ve chased a fire at 45mph in a truck trying to catch a flank and the head and lost, lost, lost...s

Prayers for all!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unreal!!!! Terrifying really.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rost495
I've been through a lot worse in the fire trucks than what they drove through and so far we've been fine. I just pray that the day doesn't come that some of our fire training videos' have shown... the engine dies.

Wonder if a tank of compressed air couldn't be rigged and regulated to supply the intake as a limited reserve when such a situation occurred.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Interesting thought. I do not see why it would not work.

BTW, this may be hard for you to believe but I am happy to see you post again.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Seems like a whole lot of people didn't heed the evacuation warnings. They could have been out of there much sooner.

The biggest issue with evacing from Ft Mac is that there is only one road in and out. The fire closed the road south early in the crisis so folks headed north to the oil camps to shelter by the thousands. Others did manage to get out to the south as well.

Today there was a convoy organised by the RCMP to head south when the opportunity arose. From the reports I read even this was stopped by fire when the wind changed again, closing the only route south for awhile. Last I read they were on the move again.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Just talked to a friend who lives up there,or did live up there I guess. His whole neighborhood is reportedly gone, so he's not sure what he's doing next. Lots of people from that area trickling down through here now, looking for places to stay I guess. Going to be hard to get it under control if we don't get some rain, so I guess we will see what happens. Luckily so far I've only heard of one death, the rest can be rebuilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 55 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,129
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.