Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Steve_R Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I hunt deer in heavy cover. Most of the time with ranges less than 100 yards. My question is would it be better to use the heavier 180 grain RN or the lighter 150 pointed bullet at close (sometimes under 50 yards) ranges? Whatever bullet I use, it will be Remington factory ammo.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

<br>I don't buy into "brush bucking" bullets. either will be deflected off course it it doesn't have a clear path to the target.
<br>
<br>Of the two you list, I would go with the 180, because it penetrates deeper, making less than ideal shot angles doable.
<br>
<br>MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am convinced that round nose and flat nosed bullets start to expand faster on deer and therefore are a better choice for distances less than 200 yards.
<br>
<br>Of the two weights the 180's will keep the impact velocity down for reliable expansion. The 150's or a 170 flat nose would be good for a reduced load.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I personally would go with the 150's (I currently do) but either would be a good choice.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Me too..roughly equivalent to a 130 in .277 cal! Just right for knocking deer on their butts[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Of course unless it was a Garand or 1903 I wouldn't get caught with a .30-06[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Mike
<br>

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used 165's most often in my wife's 06. This year I loaded up some 180s (hornady) and my wife KO'd her buck in its bed from 158 yards. Never moved out of it. A buddy borrowed it for his elk hunt and dropped a nice 6x6 bull in its tracks at 80 yards with a full frontal shot. WOW! Spectacular results. Just wished I'd have toted along the video camera.
<br>
<br>I'd favor the 180 hands down considering your conditions.
<br>
<br>I also agree with MM, that RN bullets (no bullets) don't bust brush well. Go with a better shape so you can reach out there if you need to and don't try to bust brush!!!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The Remington factory 150 gr. bullet, out of the .30-06, or the .308, is a very fragile bullet, like the Nosler Ballistic Tip. In tests by Gun Tests magazine it simply came apart too easily for their tastes. Any other 150 gr. factory load, other than these two, got their seal of approval.
<br> The 180 gr. Cor-Loks from Remington are made with a much heavier jacket. At the ranges you mention, they ought to work fine, and shoot right through.
<br> Frankly, I'd go for somebody else's 150 gr. bullet. It would work from 25-300 plus yards on any deer. You can never predict what kind of shot you are going to get. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 11/30/02.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Out of an .06 the 180 rn should be traveling about 2650 fos, maybe a tad slower. It's true, all test do not show any bullet having " brush bucking" capabilities. Test have shown that the closer the target is to the limb, etc, the more chance there is of hitting the target. This is only common sense as there is less distance for the bullet to stray off course.
<br>
<br>If you look at ballistics of the RN vs Spire point in equal weights, you will see ther is much variation until you get to + 300 yds. I prefer the 200 gr rn for elk, but the 180's would be great for deer at close range. Deepeer penetration ( probably will go right through, an d abigger wound channel from the greater frontal area of the bullet. They are certainly going to open up at 80 yds or so. The old stand by 30-30 bullet of choice has always been the 170 or 180 gr flat point and has probably attributed more deer kills than any other round or bullet

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The available 150gr RN/FN's selection were designed for double duty in .30-30 class cartridges. A hit on the on side shoulder will produce some pretty spectacular kills, but if the shot is a little high, will even bruise up the loins. Even double lungers will pretty much wreck a bit of meat. I've seen exit holes with ribcage shots with a Hornady 150gr RN you could drop your hat into.
<br>
<br>I load for myself and a bunch of other hunters/not loaders, go with a Hornady or Sierra 180gr RN and you will be much happier.

Experience is what you get,
When you don't get what you want ;-0
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have killed a bunch of deer with Remingtons 150 grain pointed soft point core lokt and will reccomend it's use no matter what gun test mag says. I also have good luck with the 180 grain pointed core lokt. I tend to use the latter if there are many feral hogs around the lease. Where I live the round nose versions are not available in 30-06.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve,
<br> You might consider going to a 220gr. I do a lot of hunting in brush here in KY. with a 7400 30-06 and most of the time it's in heavy brush, like clear cuts that have began to recover. I have had very good luck with these. Sometimes it leaves a big o'll hole but you need that to stop a determined buck from crawling off on you, as they will if you've hunted them long. I know you should try to place the shot in a vital area, but sometimes you try that and it dosen't happen like you planned. This year I shot one, at about 75 yds. and the exit wound took the heart and part of the lung completely out of the Deer. Needless to say the Deer fell and died in its tracks. This is one of the reason's I bought the .35 Whelen off, "No" I can get factory ammo in a 250gr. bullett. I'm sure it will help matters also.

Jim Croce: You don't tug on Superman's cape, spit into the wind ...

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
7400 hunter. I use the 220 gr rn 06 for elk, and it's a sure stopper.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Steve R, I have been using the Rem Core-Lokt 180 grain for many years. I have never lost a deer using this combination of heavy bullet (it will penetrate deep) and I feel it will not be disrupted by a twigg in the woods or some tall grass in the field as easy as that 150 grain bullet might. As mentioned other posts, it bucks the wind better also. You can't go wrong with a Rem Core-Lokt on thin skinned animals such as deer.

Last edited by Chigger; 12/12/02.

"The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear It's Self"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was reading Bruce Towsley's book about the Benoits of Vermont. Their choice of weapon is the Remington Model 760 family chambered in either .270, using the 150 grain RNCL, or .30-06, using the 180 grain RNCL. Those boys have each harvested more trophy whitetails than many of us will see in a life time, so there must be some tried and true reason for them doing what they do and using what they use.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's been good one for me. Used to have a hard time locating them. So I just started ordering them online. BassPro and CTD carries them. Makes it much easier than bucking the crowd at Wal-Mart. They are usually cheaper too. Anymore I dread the thoughts of going to our local Wal-Mart.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve,
<br> Why don't you get a box of each and try them, I'm sure you will be satisfied with the 180gr. and 220gr. and will drop the 150gr. Try it and see......
<br>
<br>7400hunter

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'd certainly use the 180 over the 150 at those ranges, regardless of tip shape.
<br>
<br>In Maine last year I carried 220 Sierras over a max. charge of RL-22, which shot well in my rifle.
<br>
<br>Then again, my hunting buddy up there amuses himself and me on the ride into the woods by telling Capstick-style deer tales, e.g., "The mighty 10-point charged the feller buncher, destroying the safety glass with his thrashing antlers, pinning the operator in the crushed remnants of the safety cage ..." So I felt comfortable with a "stopping" load, even if I never shot anything with it. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used the 180 Rem SP in .308 with good results. They will hold together and make pretty mushrooms if you ever find a deer that can stop one at close range.
<br>
<br>On brush busting, I agree all bullets will deflect and some may tumble. I like big heavy bullets in brush because if they do tumble and hit other than nose first, the hole will be bigger and they have more weight for penetration.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 58 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,964
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.