J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
Originally Posted by slumlord
been a slow spring, here's the last 3-4 outings total

[Linked Image]

Anyone know what the two peanut shaped stones in the top of the photo were used for? GW

Curious about that myself.
We have one very similar to those pictured somewhere around the house. Believe either our son found it on one of his metal detecting excursions or maybe a grandson found it and gave it to his grandmother. Wondering if maybe it was used as a weight for a net or line fishing or maybe a childs toy doll effigy?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I went out today and hit it again. I'll post up more pics tonight when I can get everything scrubbed up.

Working full time, and doing 9 hours of peritoneal dialysis EVERY night is wearing me out and chewing into my artifact exploits. Better than sitting around wailing and gnashing ones teeth over Cruz dropping out. Hahaha! Fugg all that chit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The peanut shaped rocks, geologically- they are limestone/chert concretions.

To find them 'high n dry' in a silty-loam field, they are far removed from their native stratigraphy. So I wonder too what their significance is lying strewn about an area of debitage and worked pieces. Shrugs...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother and I took my 98 year old Mom out this afternoon after lunch to look for arrowheads. She rode in a Gator ATV. I wanted to get her on the back of a Honda 4-wheeler, but didn't get much support for the idea. I think she would have been fine. I don't think that anybody that knows her would be surprised at all.

Once we got to what we think was an old camp site, she was ready to get out and start looking for arrowheads. After a few steps and bending over countless times to look at oak leaves and quartz rocks, Mom had abandoned her walker and picked up the shaft of a golf club with a nail stuck in the end that someone had left at the site. She was poking every rock and leaf in site saying, "is that one". After about 10 or 15 minutes dang if she didn't find the back half of an arrowhead. I couldn't get it away from her to take a picture of it and when we dropped her off at home she was still clutching it in her hand.

Some days are just better than others and this was one of them…

Harry
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mathsr,
Cherish every moment with her. You will be glad you did.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Last good day in the field for me for a while. Honestly thought this thread and its contents and my contributions would get more appreciation. But oh well fugg it, I realize the main type of people on this forum now. Bunch of do-nothing retired people who have had their balls surgically removed.

Glad to see Mathsr your 98 year old loved one is still able to get out. She must have 100x more drive than 19,000 members of this forum. Aka the the cut-n-paste Hannity jockeys.

Anyway for few that do look: this point was found by partner. He views this post, he will claim it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice big tool, heat treated. With Adena.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You did VERY good as usual! Still waiting on good weather to fall on my days off here... Made a few day trips, but I'll have some 3-4 day trips in the near future. Gotta week long prairie dog shoot in ND with some friends coming up real soon... After that it's game on until hunting season!

Public landowner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never waited to pick up a point so that I could get a picture of it. It just wouldn't occur to me at all… I guess growing up with a twin brother and fighting, more often than not, for what we got trained me to grab it and look for what ever is next.

Harry
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Great thread. Await new posts eagerly.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Drug my nuts out and found a few recently. (haven't been castrated) I guess my eyes haven't failed me, as I find a few of these tiny arrow points. The two larger of the three are dart points. But I'm sure all of ya'll know that. Anyway, this is a fun thread. Nothing much better than hunting arrowheads. All the ones I have shown come off of my own property, so I don't have to jack with trespassers, thank God !!! All of them have come off of a campsite that is about 2 acres in size.

Don't think I'll be here in 24 years, but I hope my kids would take me out hunting when I was 98 !!! Love to hear your Mother made her find. Good on you !!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish I could have got her on that 4X4 with a grandson driving. That would have been a picture worth posting! She used to take my brothers and me arrow head hunting when we were little. She probably hasn't been in close to 55 years.

I showed her the pictures of the points y'all are finding and posting here and she got excited and wanted to know about each point.

When we took her home she had dirt all over her pants and a pocket full of flint.

Y'all really helped make her day!

Harry
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great finds oldgunsmith!!!

I'll try to keep this thread alive, but soon the corn in my row-crops sites will be too tall and crowding.

I invested much more of my search time this spring field truthing a hypothesis upon a few different sites that could have been either kill-process camps or ambush sites.

Actually foregoing the regular hot spots along what we deem as 'the river site'. We searched around several sinkhole basins, two are actually ponded up. Around these places (which is a 3/4 mile from the main camp), we pinpointed these new searching grounds. The payoff was dead on! These basins we most likely mud wallers and watering holes for large game.

The key is to not park within 1/2 mile of the site to not alert the pillheads. Even so far as to wear light, drab or khaki clothing the match the dirt way out across the hillsides. We can usually hear the pillheads coming. Small, POS car or s-10 with no muffler, most pillheads drive chevys. Lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Photobucket mobile app sucks ass

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Found a nice Frio point last March on our annual Hog hunt in south Llano county . I gave it to the rancher so he could "hide" it where his wife would find it!!! She loves to hunt them points. And gets so excited when she finds one! They are both damn good folks!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
LOVE THIS STUFF!!

The richest artifact site I have ever seen is between two rivers on a triangle shaped piece of ground that is maybe 40 acres in size. My father farmed it during the Depression and knew it was full of artifacts. We found everything from stone bowls to arrowheads made from the old iron wagon wheel hoops. Over the years we had probably taken out a pick-up box of really neat stuff and twice that much junk. A guy bought the place and would not allow anyone near it...common opinion was that he was growing pot on parts of it. He died and his kin sold it to a developer who put a go-cart track and trailer park on it.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I look forward to this form! Slumlord I have a cigar box full of points and knives just like the ones you have found, but mine were found by my father and 2 uncles 65-80 years ago in Tenn. while plowing behind a mule! thye would find a few things every spring, even have a 4 sided knife, by the time i was old enough to want to look for them my Grandfather had sold off part of the farm, and that was the spot that they used to find the points. Farm was about 8-10 miles out side of Dickson Tenn.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by slumlord
Photobucket mobile app sucks ass

Yes it does!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 39 of 63 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,823
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.