-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As the title suggests, I have an older Leupold 6x compact. It has a gloss finish, and I was wondering if you can knock the shine off with steel wool, or something similar.
Anyone tried it?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
GB1

N
N
If the finish is already messed up; just paint it with a flat black spray paint.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The finish is in very good shape, just that the gloss doesn't fit with the cerakote on the rifle I want to put it on.
Such a light, handy scope...

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you looked into the air-dry Creakote for the scope? wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Have you looked into the air-dry Creakote for the scope? wink

No, I hadn't. will give it a look. Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/#

Click on "High Temp Firearm Coating" and you'll see the C series air dry selection for optics, etc.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wonder what effect a Mr Clean Magic Eraser would have? They work great for knocking down gloss on other surfaces, specifically stocks, but have not tried on a scope's factory finish.

Coatings definitely work on about anything, but not the lens variety lol... These are Duracoated which doesn't spec abrasive blasting as a necessary step. Top one was satin silver, middle Meopta's matte black, and the bottom one was Leupold's matte black. I cut out discs of paperboard to fit snuggly, blocking the glass and carefully mask other stuff. It doesn't take much of a gap for spray to get to the lens... Generally don't coat the rubber, such as o-rings, or the protective ring at the eyepiece if present. Actually that's a good spot to mask then stand it up on end when spraying. Or can hang by a loop of string under a turret cap... Rattle can will work too, but goes on thicker than ideal in my experience.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I rattle canned one years ago and it stood up surprisingly well. That was with Rustoleum flat black.
This is probably a better option. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...rosol-paints/aluma-hyde-ii-prod1117.aspx
Just put grease on anything you want to mask.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had a Vari-X II cerekoted in flat black and it turned out very nice. We used the air dry.....zero problems.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
S
That black anodize is pretty dang hard stuff. Steel wool is going to make the gloss shine look fogged. I suppose if you're going to paint it anyway you could try the wool first. Might make the paint adhere better. Paint is great though because if you do scratch something you can just paint over it. Love the grease idea for masking. Gonna have to try that. Saw some jobs where guys lay ferns and leaves on top as they switch colors. Comes out really nice if you want a camo look.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 31 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.