Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It seem like it may be a detriment if forced to shoot the opposite hand when needed. Other than that, pluses and minuses?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The first detriment would be the restriction on reaching the safety. Most bolt action rifles have the safety located to be reached by the trigger finger or thumb at or near the top of the action. Having your hand wrapped inside the stock makes that more of a reach.

I suppose technically, at thumbhole would mean more wood on the stock and thus more rifle weight. Not sure if this matters to you.

I had a thumb hole on a 22-250 varmit rifle. Great for that application as the whole rifle weighted a ton anyway and I was not "snap shooting" so I had lots to time to reach the safety, if I bothered to walk with a round chambered.

On the plus side, the thumbhole allows your trigger hand to provide some measure of recoil control and absorbtion.

Personally for the safety activation issue alone, I would not choose a thumbhole stock for a deer or similar rifle.

Often the intelligence of others is incorrectly gauged by how closely their opinions match our own.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They do soak recoil and the safety is beyond moot...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
On a HUNTING rifle, I see no up-side. The recoil can dislocate your thumb if it's a thumper (personal experience) they suck with gloves, they aren't handy to carry at ready gun or port arms (which ever terminology you prefer) and to top it off, they look GAY!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are real good off a bench or from a vehicle because they do soak up recoil from the big Magnum Calibers as stated above ,guess the recoil is distributed thru the wrist and forearm along with the shoulder,so it's not quite as noticed.
I had one on a 22-250 for years then joined this web site and someone named big stick started talking about Mcmillen Stocks and how much better they were I found it to be very true so now it wears a Mcmillen and the Thumbhole Mesquite stock is just gathering dust. but they don't look gay, just different
Navarro

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ahhhhhh...the dreaded broken thumb?!!?

Laffin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have never seen any advantages of a hole in the handle, so I have kept away from them. Seems like you could only get em via custom stocks years ago, but I have now noticed them off the shelf as common.

It got me wonderin......, so that is why I asked. Benelli was even pushing em on their turkey shotguns. I turkey hunt (Benelli super black eagle), and it would be even more of a detriment for me on a turkey rig.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've seen no advantages other than possibly a comfort factor re: grip... Other than that, I just don't see it...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I replaced the standard Encore wood stock with one of their new composit thumbhole stocks and love it. The rifle has barrels in .308, 12 ga slug and .50 BP and it makes the gun a lot nicer to shoot. It is also easier to carry in the field.

Bob

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Thumbhole stocks are heavy, but they soakup the felt recoil on heavy kickers. On rifles that are not going to be carried a lot like one that you plan to sit on a hill or ridge all day long waiting for a shot they work fine. As much as I like them I would not carry one as a mountian rifle lol. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
IC B3

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Work OK for target and varmint rifles.
But, they look BAD for hunting rifles.
Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've got one on an Encore as well. It handles well and mounts quickly, I wouldn't say any better than the regular Encore stock, but it's at least as good.

I generally don't like them either, but it's better than the regular Encore. I would say the weight difference isn't that much, given the dimensions of the Encore stock. It seems slimmer with the thumbhole.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
More comfortable and soak up recoil?

Wish I could find one cheap for my 700 LA left hand.

pepaw

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have one that I am working on now. I like the grip and feel, but not all that hip on looks. We will see if it stays or goes after the project is complete.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have been hanging around Lawson's shop for over 20 years, here in Tucson. Harry Lawson was one of the first to develop the thumbhole. I can only speak for his version:

The grip area is angled and I think this is a more comfortable position for the wrist. As for the safety, Lawson has a crossbolt safety built into their triggerguard. There is no drop to the comb area which helps deal with heavy recoil. Their recoil pads are cut wider than the rear of the stock and are sanded in a gentle curve to meet the wood. The extra surface area helps spread the recoil over a larger area. Finally the stocks are not necessarily heavier than a conventional wooden stock. I have heard more that one owner say their Lawson stock is very fast at acquiring an animal in offhand shooting. I believe it has to do with the Lawson style as most are shorter lighter barrels as well as the fit of the wrist angle. As said before they are different. Personally I don't have one and don't know if I ever will, but I can appreciate what Harry has developed.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The one on the bottom is the one I have.

http://www.reamerrentals.com/thumbhole_hunting.htm

It is very heavy in wood laimate, but I do like it a lot. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not cheap and y'all can debate the relative merits of quality, but Brown Precision's thumbhole stock is ambidextrous - I am pretty sure that is correct but all you lefties check with Brown before ordering. I hefted one a gunsmith was installing on a customer's rifle and found it to be very comfortable.

I really like more vertical or "closed" pistol grips as they allow you to pull back with the shooting hand like you're supposed to (the front hand should merely guide where the rifle is pointing) and the thumbhole really lets you do that.

They are very good from a purely functional standpoint but I still can't get over my prejudice that they look a little weird.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Friend of mine had ane some years ago. It was good looking and very heavy, laminated maple. I think the best use is shooting from a bench. seem's to me it changes the position of your hand to better control the trigger. But it's also miserable to throw up to your shoulder quickly ya gotta fool around with finding the thumbhole or carry it around with your hand in it all the thim. My friend NEVER hunted with his. As for absorbing recoil, maybe. Probally most of the reduction in recoil comes from the added weight of the stock. 100% of that weight is UNDER the barrel and action.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had lightweight MPI thumbholes and while the quality sucked ass,the felt recoil reductions were readily apparent,despite the weight reduction.

Have had numerous laminates,up to 7mmRemmie Mag and the trend is lineal.

With a T-hole,one simply has more surface area affixed the stock proper,to fend recoil with. A simplistic principle,that bears fruit.

Cloward makes a dandy....................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
About 35 yrs. ago I worked for a short time at a large gun shop in Tucson. When Harry Lawson guns would come in the shop they were commonly referred to as "dumb holes". A co-worker (who was politically incorrect even back then) maintained they were Harry Lawson's design for the paraplygic.

With odd nooks and crannies, wierd bolt shrouds, strange swept-wing grindings of recoil pads, etc. they looked more like they belonged in the 24th. century on Star Trek more then in Jack O'Conner's home land.

Gadds, a stock stained bright cherry-red with blond forend tip and grip cap!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,804 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,867
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.