Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I was perusing examples of rare photos on the Net, and thought it a worthwhile exercise to attempt to define the rarest.

Haven't decided on one as yet, but thought this one and the accompanying story were of interest. Doctor forced to do a self-appendectomy in Antarctica.

[Linked Image]

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/leonid-rogozov-appendix-1961/

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i remember reading about that in readers digest yrs ago.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for posting! That is really wild!
I worked as a paramedic for 14 years, if 'ol Doc comrade had had me down there I could have been of some help.

Damn, what a tough SOB to perform this surgery on himself. I never have heard of such a thing.

Of course as a paramedic I never picked up a scalpel, or applied any sutures.
However I have cut up lots and lots of deer. I bet with 'ol Comrade Doc giving instructions I could have made the incision and cut out the appendix, and sewed his Communist ass back up. Would have liked to have tried.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Back in the 20's, I believe, a doctor did a self appendectomy to prove that local anesthesia for surgery was possible. IIRC, he wasn't sick but he did it to prove a point. He later did another self surgery to repair a hernia.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A tough as nails Russion, huh?

Took guts.

I liked this part: "...with the help of a driver and meteorologist..." Well, hell, if you've got a driver and a meteorologist, you can find a way out of any jam, Grandpa used to say.

Fricken amazing story.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Back to subject of the thread....

Oldest known war photo? New Hampshire volunteers depart for the Mexican War in 1846.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G

Last edited by GrandView; 05/18/16.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My avatar is of my dad on his 18th birthday 1923 when he got back to Malta Montana from working on a threshing crew. He got the Mohawk haircut on the crew but his mom cleaned it up pronto when she saw it. I tell everyone "now you know why I am the way I am".

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

There are differing opinions on that photograph of Crazy Horse. Putt Thompson owns the trading post near the battlefield and has a plate that is reported to be an original of Crazy Horse. It is always fascinating to look at these historical photographs.

Crazy Horse supposedly felt that photographs took something from you when it was taken and it was said he never had a photo taken. I wouldn't know, as I haven't seen Crazy Horse to make a firsthand determination of the photo, but part of me would like to think it is him...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As to the appendectomy, I remember my father telling me that when he was in the navy in WW II that he had one done. He said that he was concerned about not waking up from anesthesia, so the doctor agreed to do it with only a local. The doctor arranged a mirror for him to see and he watched as the doctor did the procedure. Not something that I would want to do!

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

There are differing opinions on that photograph of Crazy Horse. Putt Thompson owns the trading post near the battlefield and has a plate that is reported to be an original of Crazy Horse. It is always fascinating to look at these historical photographs.

Crazy Horse supposedly felt that photographs took something from you when it was taken and it was said he never had a photo taken. I wouldn't know, as I haven't seen Crazy Horse to make a firsthand determination of the photo, but part of me would like to think it is him...

That's what I had always read as well - no pics of him exist.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,620
Posts18,511,949
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.