-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If he isn't absolutely set on having a 30-06, CDNN has Marlin XS7s in either 243 or 7mm-08 for $250. I like the ergs of the Marlin stock better than the Howa 1500s, but a Boyds laminated stock for either would likely cost under $200.

24HCF member Savorino has a NIB stainless Marlin XL7 in 30-06 on GB for $465. This is probably the least expensive stainless bolt gun, that isn't a Savage Axis, that I've seen since Whittaker's sold out of the Marlin XS7s in 7mm-08 a few months ago.

HR IC

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Go hit up the pawn shops. Who knows what kind of bargain you might find.
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Go hit up the pawn shops. Who knows what kind of bargain you might find.

Agree that good buys exist there, but feel my friend should buy "new" to get the warranty... He can't afford getting a used rifle at a good price and then having to re-barrel or have to rework the feeding system.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your frugal fixed-income friend could buy a $250 Marlin XS7 from CDNN and Hornady American Whitetail ammo for about $22 per box. That would get him a good shooting rifle and good shooting ammo, then all he would need is a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 and a set of 1" Weaver-style rings with which to mount it on the base that comes with the rifle.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree about the X7 Marlin. I think it was the king of the economy rifles, but apparently the market didn't agree with me. It seemed better thought out and put together than the Ruger American, and the stock was stiffer.

TANSTAAFL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Another vote for the Marlin X7:

[Linked Image]

Tossing out the called flyer (#11), the others were at .388". I've no doubt a competent shooter could make the rifle look even better. It probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade the glass from a fixed 4x scope, either. FWIW, I had these at 3.225 COAL, and they were doing 2,860 fps.

The other 2 Marlins I've had shot similarly.

FC

I hate "flyers". I get them with my pre 64 model 70 30-06 too. It's a featherweight rifle though, so that probably explains it...:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Marlin XL7 or a Savage. Either will very likely shoot very well and should prove to be very reliable. I currently have a Marlin in .30-06 that is shooting VERY well with no adjustments out of the box.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I agree about the X7 Marlin. I think it was the king of the economy rifles, but apparently the market didn't agree with me. It seemed better thought out and put together than the Ruger American, and the stock was stiffer.

The market didn't kill the Marlin X guns, sometime after Remington bought Marlin in 2007, they made the decision to move Marlin's bolt action CF products to Remington and the X guns morphed into the not nearly as attractive Remington 783 line.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Get the 7mm08 Marlin from CDNN. As long as its deer sized game or smaller he wont be disappointed.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I would look for a new stainless close out priced Tikka

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a friend with the Marlin rifle and it is, to me, a nice looking rifle. If I was looking for another rifle I'd certainly look at them. But the best even for the money you'll never get a right answer to until he goes out and look's them over for himself. I don't think he'll find a rifle that won't work well for him, most rifles are good rifle's. Unless he'll be shooting quite a bit, why spend more than he haws to on a rifle except, he need's to like it! That a personal thing.

Where he live's will make a difference too. I like my friends Marlin but have never seen one in any shop or store within about a hundred miles of here. if it were me I'd get him into a Bi Mart or Walmart and let him look over what they have. I wouldn't worry about 2nd hand rifles. I have a very old 30-06 that had to many corrosive primer's through it and the barrel is pitted pretty good but, you can't tell from the way it shoot's. My 25-06 and 308 were both bought 2nd hand, very good rifles, both of them. The 25-06 is a 700 ADL and the 308 a Rem 788. But he's gonna have to go look at what's there where he live's.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
700 ADL 30-06 made before Dupont sold Remington.
Gloss blue and walnut, at reasonable prices.
Few hunting guns are ever shot much, most will last several lifetimes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Take a look at a Remington 783. A way better gun than you would think for under $300.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The $329 Howa is the best quality rifle in that price range, but may not shoot as well as a RAR. I'd give up a little accuaracy for the nice action, but that's just me.

Mine in 223 shoots better than my Ruger Predator in 223....
in fact both of my Howas in 223 do...

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks to all for these great suggestions.
I will be seeing my friend this next Saturday, and he will get the recommendations, and I know he will successfully land something on this list.

I appreciate your thoughtful responses!

Take care.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The $329 Howa is the best quality rifle in that price range, but may not shoot as well as a RAR. I'd give up a little accuaracy for the nice action, but that's just me.

Mine in 223 shoots better than my Ruger Predator in 223....
in fact both of my Howas in 223 do...

I'm not surprised. My Vanguard is very accurate with the Fiocchi 40gr Vmax loads I've been feeding it. Everyone is so impressed with the RARs, I thought I'd just be agreeable. For $329, it'd be a no-brainer for me, especially since I regard DMs on a hunting rifle, especially ones that can't be filled from the top, as inventions of the devil. At $249, the Marlins are also very attractive.

Way back when the RARs and Marlins were new, I did a side-by-side in a LGS. The RAR magazine rattled like, well a rattle. The Marlin was plain, but seemed solid.

Brian Pearce, a writer I trust to be honest and meticulous, did a review on a couple of the Marlins and also used one in another article. He seemed very impressed, and not just for the money. It's a shame Remington dumped them in favor of that abortion they introduced later. Looks like a case of Not Invented Here to me. It would have been easy to just stamp their logo on the better rifle.

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/20/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was looking for a similar "do all cheap beater or truck gun" to fill this same role as a reliable rough use & loaner stand by shooter, having had couple of T3's & 2 695's, a SAKO 85 260 & 2 dozen or more SAKO's in years past, a CZ 550 9.3, , a half dzn S&W (Howa) 1500's, more tang safety Ruger 77's than I can remember, and 8-10 post '64 M70's - from picking out my choice of wood from the factory shipping case of 5 rifles, a 1979 USRAC XTR Fwt Rbts, out of the 1st production run of USRAC shipments to Texas, that my distributor employer rc'vd as promised...

I saw all the gun shills printed hype, and put a couple RAR's, Marlins and whatever else I could find in that RAR +$250/ $350 initial price range on every stocking retailers counter side by side & walked away from them as they all needed tuning of some sort IMHO...and bought a couple TC Ventures. DA me sold one at a profit unfired that I should have kept - a NIB WS AP camo 308 I was into at under $300, and am putting a NIB plain vanilla black & blue 270 together right now - with Warne Steel & a Vtx CFII 4x12x50 - I'm into for about $300 for the bare nekk'd gun.

Only thing I ever saw in the last 10 years I wanted to buy in that price point was a S&W Husqvarna 30'06 that needed some tlc on the stock, and hesitated a day too long when the dealer would not come off his $300 price. Snooze Ya Looze bites me too.

Why? Why did I take a flyer on an unknown product that had gone thru a Major Recall & had had the Mfg'er bought out...market research & one on one conversations with early adopters... AND ...I could not find a better deal at the time & would have bought one of the Howa 1500/Weatherby S1 closeouts if it were as cheap as the Venture was, with the at the time $75 Rebate on Venture's that was available thru last year.

Look at the TC Website for the laundry list of FAB's (Features/Advantages/Benefits) that as a former gun industry rep of 13 years, made the most sense for me...Lifetime Warranty, MOA guarantee, 5 R rifleing system, pillar bedding, receiver ejection port top access thru the open bolt adjustable trigger yadda yadda were the key factors, as well as the several early adopters statements about accuracy....and my perceptions of the cheap feeling and cheesy sounds during bolt cycling + the flimsy fit and feel of the RAR's stock with it's egg shaped fore end vs the Ventures better fit & finish, grooved soft touch grip panels and triangular shaped fore end with it's flatter more stable shooting rest. Now that I have finally completed the move to a new location some 200 miles from where'd we'd been for the last 10 years, a year after the original plan called for, I'm looking forward to putting my Venture 270 thru the wringer, and have bought roughly a K of 6/7 styles of bullets to do it with....and moved to within 15-20 minutes of a 365 day accessible 200 yard club range to do it AT.

Haven't seen the new TC "mo cheaper" offering yet, but I am expecting it to be a "Lite" version of the Venture's features, which can be seen on the TC website.
Ron

Last edited by verhoositz; 05/21/16.

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They seem solid, but like pretty much all TC stuff, have been beaten to a bloody pulp with the oogly stick. One exception was the Classic .22.

Of course my sense of style was formulated in the 50s and 60s so they may be beautiful to those whose tastes are more modern.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH

This^^^

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by 700LH

This^^^

Don't know when Dupont sold Remington, but I'd look very hard for a 700 with a B or C prefix serial #....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Too bad the OP and his friend can't go to a few gunshops or pawn shops and pick out a good older rifle. I'd much rather have a sporterized 98 mauser, m1917, Ruger Tang safety, Ruger m77 mkII, used Hawkeye, Older Remington mountain rifle, Remigton 788, etc. etc. vs. a new RAR or the likes: (vanguard or Howa), el-cheapo Remington 783, 710, or even POS Savage Axis. However, YMMV....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,780
Posts18,495,926
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.