Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Remington 870 - Yes the most successful shotgun of all time has some chinks in its armor. It is extremely vulnerable to short stroking, which will completely lock the action. Last shotgun I'd ever choose for self defense.

When I was around 20 years old, I was still hunting deer in densely-wooded southern Ohio, came up over a little rise and had a doe looking at me broadside from maybe 50'. My shot cut the only sapling between us in half. The deer, unfazed, continued to stare at me. I proceeded to short shuck my 870, locking it tighter than a drum.

Ended up unscrewing the barrel nut, disassembling the gun, reassembling it, and reloading it. During all of this, the deer would walk a ways, stop and stare, and walk a ways. By the time I finished, she was just cresting the big hill 100 yards away. blush

Just assumed that was endemic to all pumps after that. Didn't know that it was more common in 870's. Never happened to me since though.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I was gonna say Weatherby Mark V, but then I realized there ain't enough idiots that own one to make it overrated.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M1918 B.A.R. is an odd weapon.

abusus non tollit usum
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I would hate to carry and rely on an M-14 in combat especially when the SMAJ's required load out called for 800 rounds of ammo.

I spent 27 months in frequent combat and recon and carried both the M-16 and AK47. I shot both a lot w/out problem and they made lots of commies quit shooting at me.

Conclusions and 1 mans' opinion; 1. Both work very well in tough conditions

2.Only inexperienced/ poorly trained troops shoot carbines or assault rifles full auto.

mike r

Not. Another 1 man's opinion.

These are 2 opinions I would take to the bank. Of the weapons mentioned I have only shot the AK47. That was one day at the range with no body shooting back at me. Real life experience with what the weapon was made for, in extreme conditions is the only way to to get a clear and honest evaluation of weapon performance. Test firing at a range without the human effects of actual combat stress and emotions is not equal by any means.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Bristoe
As for the battle weapons, I think you have to view them in the context of the period of time that they were used. A Thompson was a highly prized item in the Pacific during WW2. I was very familiar with a WW2 vet of the Pacific war who carried one through the entire ordeal. I suppose he could have traded it for any other weapon at any time. He didn't.

As for the M-14,...basically it was a modified Garand. Everybody seemed to like the Garand. I know one Marine who did an 18 month tour in Vietnam. He says they trained with M-14's but were issued M-16's to fight with. He says that most would have rather kept their M-14's.

My Dad was in G-2-1 on Guadalcanal. He went in the Corps in 1938 and was a Gunny when they came ashore. He said he had a Reising and it was the biggest POS he had ever seen. Said he threw in in the Lunga River and got a Thompson. He also said there were a few Johnsons and that the Marines regarded them highly. Mostly they had '03 Springfields.

IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own two of them but don't get how the 700 got to be as popular as it has become.

I gave my oldest son one of them. 700 Classic in 250 Savage. Only made in 1984. The year that the Gipper crushed Mondale. Well, it did quite fine because he killed his first deer with it last year. A nice 6 point.

Both those bowling ball finish models with white line spacers? I don't get it.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RAS
I own two of them but don't get how the 700 got to be as popular as it has become.

Because Winchester stopped production of the pre-64s .

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RAS

They were Accurate and the glossy bling was the order of the day.

abusus non tollit usum
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Another vote for the pre 64.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I was gonna say Weatherby Mark V, but then I realized there ain't enough idiots that own one to make it overrated.

what? what about all them lugs, mo has gotta be mo betta eh?

most over rated imo,

having an expensive or bunch of firearms be they stock or custom and thinking that somehow gives you an edge.

by and large it ain't the arrow it's the Indian and how often and well he flings them arrows.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Savage 99. . . I just don't get it. To me it's just a really heavy lever action rifle.

Now I've got to go find a helmet and female condoms...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I had a Lorcin 9mm in college that fell apart the first time I shot it.

Think it was $95 dollars. Traded and upgraded to a Ruger P89 that is still functioning fine 24 years later.

I Hunt and I Fish, If I Need to Get Away. If You're Finding Fault With Me, Moaning More Than I Can Stand, I'll Tell You What...For a Little While I'll Go See the Outdoor Plan. -Hank III
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by colodog
Colt Python

Agreed. Amazing that folks are paying 4x the price of a Model 27 for these things, and 5x the price of a Model 19. Are they nice??? Sure, but they were never a robust carry gun, and the whole "mystique" just seems overblown (and overpriced).

Ithaca 37?? Really, the greatest upland pump, ever. Light (the old 12 gauges carry like a 20, until the forends got too big in the 60's). Drop the empties right at your feet. Oh, and the actions are slick. Model 12's are nice, but I don't want to carry that kind of weight around if I can carry an Ithaca, instead.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Count me in as another person who has nothing bad to say about the M-14. The ones I have shot were all accurate and functioned well. If they were considered heavy the Garand felt heavier yet to me. Plus, you didn't get an M-1 thumb with the M-14. laugh

I also like my Winchester 12 "Heavy Duck" shotgun. The weight feels good when you touch off those 3" mags. laugh

I agree the Python is over rated but I sure like mine. It cost me about $400.00 used and is my favorite revolver.

The Pre 64 Winchester 70 is probably overrated now with the prices they bring, but when they were still being made I felt they were reasonably priced. While I agree they were not a lightweight all I had were accurate and functioned flawlessly.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
remington 700's and pistols that rhyme with cock.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^ Some of you guys think the pre 64 model 70 is overrated, but when was the last time you had to replace an extractor or the bolt handle or trigger break off?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything made in the last 30 years with C-O-L-T stamped on their sides.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Colonel Cooper's Scout rifle concept, especially in the Steyer cheap plastic overpriced apparition, especially in .376 Steyer caliber.

I had the pleasure of selling one of those to the late Col. Cooper not too long before he passed. I was SHOCKED that Steyer did not give him one!!!

My vote for most overrated gun goes to the POS AK-47 ! You couldn't give me one!

And of the dozens of 870's I've owned over the years, I've NEVER had one jam or lock up.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/20/16.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Overated...Whatever I am trying to trade 4. Underrated what ever I have 2 trade.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I see the big prices for the Python.....I don't know if they are selling for those big$$$$$$$.
Don't think asking price makes them overrated.
However, the Colt "I" frame wheel guns including the Officers Model Match and the Python are hard to beat.

I just had a couple Smiths ( 27& 17- 8 3/8 bbls. each) tuned and smoothed by Smith Armourer in Rochester Indiana. The 17 went from 12 + lbs. DA to 10 lbs.
and the 27 about the same . SA From 4+ lbs. to 3lbs.

Love the Smiths, but, but, but nothing like the "I" frame Colts, I don't think Colt could ever produce those pistols again.
Overrated by shooters that can only covet them.
Same thing goes for the Model 21 scatterguns.

Last edited by cisco1; 05/20/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whenever you see an 'overrated' thread (on anything) people seem to thnk the objects listed are being called worthless POS--especially if they are fond of an item on the list.

Overrated is just that....overrated. And while overrated can lead to overpriced, overpriced doesn't necessarily equal overrated.

As to the topic....the Pre-64 70's have to top the list. A good, solid gun that's been waay overhyped by (mostly) nostalgic baby boomers.... smile

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,771
Posts18,495,708
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.